Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 195
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


and gravelly loam. A sulphur spring is found J mi. n. of East Randolph. Raiidolph, (p. v.,)
on Little Connewango Creek, in the n. part, contains a sawmill, 3 churches, and about 600 inhabit¬
ants; East Randolph, (p. v.,) in the n.
e. corner contains 2 churches, a grist and saw
mill, a furnace, machine shop, tannery, and about 700 inhabitants. Randolph Academy is situated
upon an eminence about midway between the villages. The first settlement in town was made at
Randolph Village, by Edmund Fuller, from Oneida co., in 1820.1 The first church (M. E.) was
organized in 1823.2

SOUTH VAEEEY—wtfs formed from Randolph and Cold Spring, April 2, 1847. A part
of Cold Spring was annexed in 1848. It is the s. w. corner town of the co. The surface is
mountainous and broken. Allegany River flows s. w. through the town and receives as tributaries
Split Rock, Hotchkiss, Tunessassa, Pierce, Sawmill, and Bone Run Creeks. The soil is a clay loam
on the hills, and a rich, gravelly loam in the valleys. Lumbering is the principal occupation of
the people.3 ©sioville is a p. o. The first settlement was made, under the auspices of the
Friends’ Mission, upon the Allegany Indian Reservation. The Mission was established in 1798,
by the Yearly Meeting of Philadelphia Friends; and Joel Swayne, Holliday Jackson, and Chester
Simmons, from Chester co., Penn., settled upon the Reservation, in the n. part of the town.4 It
does not appear that any other religious association has ever been formed in tbe town. The Presb.
missions on the Reservation however, have an extensive range in the valley of the Allegany.

YORKSHIRE —was formed frpm Franklinville, April 13, 1820. Machias was taken off in
1827. A part of Freedom was annexed in 1844, and a part of Machias was taken off in 1847.
It lies upon the
n. border of the co., e. of the center. Its surface is a rolling and hilly
upland. Cattaraugus Creek forms the n. boundary.. South Branch flows through near the center
and receives several tributaries. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam. A large amount of maple
sugar is annually produced. Yorkshire Corners, (Yorkshire p.o.,) on Cattaraugus Creek,
contains 38 dwellings. Yorkshire Center, (p. v.,) a little
e. of the center, contains 2 churches,
2 sawmills, a gristmill, and 42 dwellings* West Yorkshire, (p.v.,) on the
n. line, at the
junction of the South Branch with Cattaraugus Creek, contains a gristmill, sawmill, carding
machine, and 14 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1810, on Lot 1, in the n.e. corner,
by Abner Bomp, from Vt.5 The first church-(M. E.) was formed about 1814.6

delphia purchased 300 acres of land of the Holland Land Com¬
pany and built'a saw and grist mill. The mills did work for
white settlers on the usual terms, and furnished lumber and
ground corn for the Indians free. The Indians were also in¬
structed in agriculture and the arts of civilized life. The mills
were built by Jacob Taylor and Jonathan Thomas. Robert
Clendenon, from Chester co., Penn., occupied the Mission Station
in 1812. It is said that descendants of Sir Wm. Johnson are
now residing on the Allegany Reservation..

5 Benj. and Wm. Felch, Edward Bomp, Thos. Dow, and Luther
Thompson were among the first settlers. Sami. G. Sutton and
Robert Steel, from N. H., settled in 1818, and are now the oldest
residents in town. The first store was kept by Henry L. Baker,
in 1823, and the first inn by Prescott Williams, in 1826,—both
at Yorkshire Corners. Isaac Williams erected the first grist
and saw mill, in 1814, on Cattaraugus Creek.

6 There are now 3 churches in town; M. E., Bap., and Univ.


The first child born was James Fuller, in June, 1822; and
the first death was that of Zalmon C. Smith, June 17,1824, while
at work on mills of Chauncey C. Helms. The double marriage
of David Salisbury and Clement Russell with daughters of Thos.
Harvey, at the same time,. was the first in town. The first
school was taught by Sally Morton, at Randolph Village, in the
summer of 1822. Benj. Clark kept the first inn, in 1823, and
Robert Helms the first store, in 1837. Thos. Harvey erected
the first sawmill, in 1823; Chauncey C. Helms, the first grist¬
mill, in 1826; and Jonathan Wood, the first carding and cloth
dressing mill, in 1827.


There are 5 churches In town; M. E., Bap., F. W. Bap., Cong.,
and R. C.


The extensive pine forests which- grew in town are nearly


exhausted; and the lumbering is now mostly confined to the
coarser kinds of lumber. The town has an area of 37,749 acres,


of which only about 2,000 acres are under improvement.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2