Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 211
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


CARROLL1—was formed from Ellicott, March 25, 1825. Kiantone was taken off in 1853.
It is the s.
e. corner town in the co. Its surface is broken and hilly in the N. e. and e., and rolling
in the s. and s. w. The highest summits are 900 ft. above Lake Erie. The principal stream is
Connewango Creek, forming part of the w. boundary. The soil is a clay loam in the
n. and e.,
and a gravelly loam in the s. and w. Frewsburgh, (p.v.,) in the n.w. part, contains 2
churches, a gristmill and sawmill. Pop. 400. Fentoirville is a p. o. near the s. w. corner.
Joseph Akins, from Rensselaer co., the first settler in town, located on Lo't 29 in Jan. 1807.*
There are 2 churches in town; Bap. and M. E.

CHARLOTTEwas formed from- Gerry, April 18, 1829. It is an interior town, lying n. e.
of the cente,r of the co. The surface is moderately hilly and divided into several ridges by the val¬
leys of the streams. North Hill and Lake Hill, the highest points, are about 1,000 feet above Lake
Erie. It is drained by Mill Creek and several tributaries. The soil is chiefly a clay loam.
Charlotte Center (p.v.) contains 2 churches, a good water-power with some manufactories,
and 10 dwellings; Sinclearville,2 (Gerry p. o.,) near the s. line, contains 4 churches, 2 grist¬
mills, and 2 sawmills. Pop. 450. The first settlement was made near the center, in 1809, by
W. Seaver and Wm. Divine, from Oneida coJ The first religious meeting (Presb.) was held
at Sinclearville, in 1811; and the first church (M. E.) was formed in 1816. There are now 6
churches in town.3

CHAUTAUQUA—was formed from Batavia, (Genesee co.,) April 11, 1804, and embraced
all the territory now included within the limits of'Chautauqua co. Pomfret was taken off in 1808,'
Portland in 1813, Harmony in 1816, and Clymer, Ellery, and Stockton in 1821. It is an interior
town, lying a little w. of the center of the co. The surface is elevated and moderately hilly, oc¬
cupying the watershed between the waters of Chautauqua Lake and those of Lake Erie.. Chautauqua
Lake is on the
e. border, and chiefly within the limits of the town. The soil is a clay loam of
good quality. Mayville, (p. v.,) pleasantly located near the head of Chautauqua Lake, was
incorp. April 30, 1830; it contains the co. buildings, 3 churches, the Mayville Academy, a news¬
paper office, and a flouring mill. Pop. 547. He Wittville, (p.v.,) in the
e. part, contains a
church, the co. poorhouse, and 133 inhabitants; Hartfield, (p.v.,) on the lake inlet, contains a
church, gristmill, sawmill, and furnace. Pop. 123. Magnolia is a p.o. on the lake, near the s.
line. The first settlement was made at Mayyille, in 1804, by Dr. Alexander McIntyre.4 The
first church (Bap.) was formed at Mayville, in 1820, by Elder Wilson.5

CHERRY CREER—was formed from Ellington, May 4, 1829. It lies on the e. border
of the co., a little
n. of the center. The surface is hilly in the n. w., and rolling in the s. e.
Along the s. border are several small swamps. It is drained by Connewango Creek and several
tributaries, flowing s. The soil is clay and a gravelly loam. Clierry ( reek, (p. v.,) in the
e. part, contains 3 churches, 2 sawmills, and a gristmill. Pop. 240. The first settlement was
made on Lot 15, in 1812, by Joshua Bentley, from Rensselaer co.8 The first religious services
were held at the house of Ward King, in 1817; the Rev. Mr. Hadley (Bap.) was the first preacher.6

CLYMER7 —was formed from Chautauqua, Eeh. 9, 1821. Mina was taken off in 1824, and
French Creek in 1829. It lies upon the s. border of the co., w. of the center. The surface is a hilly
upland, broken by the valleys of Broken Straw Creek and its tributaries. The soil is a gravelly
loam. Considerable lumber is still manufactured. Clymer, (p.v.,) near the s. w. corner, con-

6 Jonathan Smith settled about the same time, near the w.
shore of the lake, and Peter Barnhart, from Penn., on the e.
shore; Martin Prendergast and Messrs. Griffith and Bemus, also
omthe E. shore, in 1806. Judge Peacock was also an early settler.
John Scott kept the first inn, at Mayville, in 1808,- and J. & M.
Prendergast the first store, in 1811.

7 The census reports 7 churches; 2 Bap., 2 M. E., Cong., Prot.

E., and F. W. Bap.

8 Jos. Kent settled on Lot 9, in 1815, and Willard Cheney on
Lot 10, Wm. Weaver on Lot 16; Anson Hendrick on Lot 16, and
Cogsdill Brown on Lot 15, in 1816. Reuben Cheney taught the
first school, in 1818; Geo. H. Frost kept the first inn, in 1823,
and Seth Grover the first store, in 1831, at the village. Wm.
Kilbourn built the first sawmill, in 1824, on Cherry Creek, near
the village. The first death was that of Lydia Page; she was
buried in the woods near the village. Joshua Bentley lost a
daughter, 2 years old, in 1817,—supposed to have been carried
off by the Indians.

9 The census reports 3 churches; 2 Bap. and F. W. Bap.

1° Named in honor of Geo. Clymer, one of the signers of tbe
Declaration of Independence.


Named in honor of Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.


Hamilton Tyler, in 1810; the first marriage, that of Wm. Bowles
and Jerusha Walton, in 1811; and the first death, that of ——
Woodcock, killed hy the fall of a tree in 1S10. Stephen Rogers


and the first gristmill by John Frew, on the same lot, in 1817.
William Sears kept the first inn, on Lot 11, in 1814, and James


Hall the first store, on the same'lot, in 1824.


* The village derives its name from its first settler, Maj. SamT
Sinelear, who came in from Madison co. in 1810.


O. Aystin, from Eastern N. Y., settled in the w. part in 1809.
The first school was taught at Sinclearville, in the winter of
1811-12, by Wm. Gilmore. Maj. Sinelear kept the first inn, in
1811, and Plumb, Edson
& Winsor the first store, in 1817, at
Sinclearville. Maj. Sinelear erected the first sawmill, in 1810,
and the first gristmill, in 1811, on Mill Creek.


* 2 M. E., 2 Univ., Cong., and Bap.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2