Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 212
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


tains 2 churches and 110 inhabitants. Clymer Center is a p.o. Jobn Cleveland settled on
Lot 58 in 1820.1 The first religious meeting (Bap.) was held at the house of Mr. Cleveland, in
1820, by Elder Powers. The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1830.2


EEEERY2—was formed from Chautauqua, Feb. 29,1821. A part of Stockton was taken off in
1850. It is the central town in the co. The surface is hilly, the highest summits being about 400
ft. above the valleys and 1,000 ft. above Lake Erie. Chautauqua Lake .forms the s. w. boundary,
and into it flow several small streams, which form the principal drainage. The soil is a clay loam
upon the uplands, and a gravelly loam in the valleys. Ellery Center (p.v.) contains a church
and 16 dwellings. Ellery is a p. o. near the shore of the lake. The first settlements were made
on the lake by Wm. Bemus and Jeremiah Griffith, from Rensselaer co., in 1806; the former
located at Bemus Point, and the latter farther s.4 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1809, by
Elder Asa Turner, the first minister.5

EEEICOTT3—-was formed from Pomfret, June 1, 1812. A part of Busti was taken off in
1823, Carroll in 1825, and Poland in 1832. A part of Busti was annexed in 1845. It is an in¬
terior town, lying s.
e. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, with a gentle inclina¬
tion toward the s.
w. The foot of Chautauqua Lake extends into the s. w. corner; and the outlet
e. through the s. part of the town, receiving Cassadaga Creek as a tributary The soil is
a sandy and gravelly loam. Jamestown, (p.v.,) located on the outlet of Chautauqua Lake,
in the s. part of the town, was incorp. March 6, 1827. It contains 7 churches, the Jamestown
Academy, 2 newspaper offices, 2 banks, the office of the Farmers’ Insurance Company, 2 woolen
factories, 2 furnaces, 2 flouring mills, and various other manufacturing establishments, and an
ample water-power. Pop. 3,116. Fluvaima, (p. v.,) at the foot of the lake, near the w. line,
contains a church and 14 dwellings. Eevant is a p.o., on the
e. border, at the junction of Cas¬
sadaga Creek with the lake outlet. . Rexterville is a hamlet. The first settlement was made on
the outlet of Chautauqua Lake, in 1806, by Wm. Wilson.4 The first church (Cong.) was formed July
6,1816, by Rev. John Spencer, a missionary preacher from Conn. There are 12 churches in town.3

EEEEVGTOJV—was formed from Gerry, April 1,1824. Cherry Creek was taken off in 1829.
It lies upon the
e. border .of the co., a little s. of the center. Its surface is an undulating and
hilly upland. Clear Creek flows through near the center, and, with its tributaries, forms the
principal drainage. Connewango Creek flows through the
n. e. corner. The soil is a sandy and
gravelly loam. Ellington, (p. v.,) near the center, contains 4 churches, the Ellington Academy,
and 2 gristmills. Pop. 487. Clear Creels, is a p. o. Jos. Bentley made the first settlement,
on Lot 7, in 1814.5 The first religious services were held at the house of James Bates, in 1817,
by Rev. Daniel Hadley. The E. W. Bap. denomination organized the first church.6

FRENCH CREEK.—was formed from Clymer, April 23, 1829. It is the s. w. corner town
of the co. The surface is hilly and broken by the deep valley of Erench Creek. The soil is chiefly
a heavy clay loam. French Creels, is a p. o. in the
n. part, and Marvin a p. o. in the s.
Andy Nobles, from Oswego co., made the first settlement, on Lot 44, in 1812.7 The first religious
meeting was held on Lot 46, in 1818, by Elder Ashford; and the first church (Bap.) was formed
in 1821. There is no church edifice in town.

1808, and the first gristmill, in 1809,—this being the first im¬
provement of the water-power of the Outlet. The first school
was taught in the house of John Bloover, in 1815, by Rev.

8 2 M. E„ Cong., Presb., Prot. E., Bap., F. W. Bap., Christian,
Wes. Meth., Luth., Univ., and R. C.

9 Among the other early settlers were Jas. Bates, from Mass.,
Sam’l McConnel, from Caynga co., and Joshua Bentley, jr., from
Rensselaer co., in 1S16; - Simon Lawrence, from Vt., Abner Bates
and Ward King, from Mass., in 1817. The first child born was
Simon Lawrence, jr., in 1817; the first marriage, that of Rufus
Hitchcock and Ranah Hadley, in 1817; and the first death,
that of Mr. Hitchcock, who fell from a building and was killed
six weeks after his marriage. Jas> Bates kept the first inn, at
Ellington Village, in 1814, and Lewis Holbrook the first store,
in 1821. Ward King built the first gristmill, near the village,
in 1821.

10 The census reports 5 churches; Bap., Christian, Presh.,
M. E., and F. W. Bap.

11 John Cleveland settled on Lot 31, in 1812 ;• Roswell Coe on
Lot 39, and Nath’l Thompson on Lot 9, in 1813; and Paul Col-
boum, from Oneida co., on Lot 44, in 1814. The first death was
that of a son of Nath! Thompson, drowned in French Creek.

The first school was taught by Chitsey, in 1818. William

Graves kept the first inn, and built the first gristmill, in 1822;
and John Dodge opened the first store, in one end of the gristmill.


Wm. Rice, from Washington co., settled on Lot 59, in 1821,
Horace and Anson Starkweather, from Vt;, on Lot 43, in 1822.
The first birth was that of Patience Russell, in 1823; the first
marriage, that of Walter Freeman and Abigail Ross in 1823.
Alvin Williams kept the first- inn, in 1826, at the village, John
Stow the first store, in 1823; and Peter Jacquins -built the first
mill, in 1825.


8 Named in honor of Wm. Ellery, a signer of the Declaration
of Independence.


The census reports 3 churches; Bap., M. E., and Univ.


® Named from Joseph Ellicott, agent of the Holland Land


T Thomas R. Kennedy and Edward Works located upon the


Outlet, in 1807, and Wilson Ellicott, Jas: Culbertson, and Geo.


w. Fenton, in 1808. Edward Works built the first sawmill, in


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2