Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 237
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Kings Bay. It is navigable to near Champlain Tillage. Corbeau Creek, its tributary, is tho
other principal stream. Point au Fer1 and Stony Point are two capes projecting into the lake.
The soil is a clay or clayey loam. Peat is found in numerous localities. Champlain, (p. v.,)
upon the Chazy, near the n. line of the town, contains the Champlain Academy, 3 churches, 2
founderies, a linen factory, planing mill, and carriage factory.2 Pop. 1,473. Perrys Mills2
(p.o.) is a lumber station upon the Chazy, in the
n. w. corner of the town. Rouses Point,1
(p.v.,) upon the lake, in the
n.e. corner of the town, contains 3 churches, a brewery, newspaper
office, and extensive depots and repair shops belonging to the Northern R. R. Co. It is divided k
into the Upper and Lower Villages, the latter being about twice as large as the former. Pop.
1,769. Coopersville,3 or Corbeau, is a village upon Chazy River, opposite the mouth of
Corbeau Creek. It contains 1 church and 40 houses. The first settlers were Canadian and
Nova Scotia refugees, who located in town soon after the Revolution. The first English settler
was Pliny Moore, who came in to reside in 1789.® The census reports 4 churches in town.4

CHAZY5—was formed from Champlain, March 20, 1804. Altona was taken off in 1857. It
lies upon Lake Champlain,
n. of the center of the co.- Its surface is rolling and has a gentle incli¬
nation toward the
e. The principal stream is the Little Chazy, flowing N. E. through near the
center. Corbeau Creek flows through the
n. border. Potsdam sandstone underlies the w. part,
and Chazy and Trenton limestone the
e. Tertiary clay extends'along the lake shore. The soil is
clayey and productive in the central and
E. parts, but sandy in the w. Chazy, (p, v.,) upon
Little Chazy River, contains 2 churches and a saw and grist mill. Pop. 326. West Chazy.
(p.v.,) upon Little Chazy River, in the s. w. part of the town, contains 2 churches, a saw and grist
mill, and starch factory. Pop. 280. It is a station on the P. & M. R. R. Sciota (p.v.) is a
station on the P. & M. R. R., in the
N. W. corner of the town. Chazy Standing' is a hamlet
on the lake shore. Ingraham is a p. o. in the s.
e. corner. The first settler was John La
Frombois,9 who came in town in 1763. After the Revolution the first settlers were refugees from
Canada and Nova Scotia. Of these, Lieutenant Murdock McPherson was the first one that could
speak English.6 The census reports 5 churches in town.7

CLMTOIV—was formed from Ellenburgh, May 14, 1845. It is the N.w. corner town in the
co. Its surface is generally level, with a gentle inclination toward the
n. w. The highest points
along its s. border are about 1,050 feet above Lake Champlain. A portion of the surface is undu¬
lating. It is nearly all underlaid by Potsdam sandstone, which here is remarkably white. The
streams are small brooks. More {ban three-fourths of the town is yet a wilderness. The soil is a
light, sandy loam, capable of supporting but a thin growth of forest trees. A large part of the land
is owned by capitalists and speculators. Cherubu^co, (p. o.,) the summit station upon the
0. R. R., The Frontiers, (Frontier p. o.,) and Wrightsville, upon the w. border, are
hamlets. This town lies within No. 6 of the Old Military Tract. The first settlers located upon
the Old Military Road and near The Frontiers.8 A M. E. church has lately been organized.

DAWYEMORA9—was formed from Beekmantown, Dec. 14, 1854. It is the central town
upon the w. border of the co. Its surface is mostly a wild, mountainous upland, covered with a
sandy soil and light growth of forest trees. Chazy Lake, near the center, 3J miles long by 1J

and others, in 1785. He erected the first saw and grist mills, in
1789. Among the other early settlers were Elnathan Rogers,
Wm. Beaumont, Chas.L. Sailly, Samuel Ashman, Joseph Corbin,
Silas Hubbell, Elias Dewey, Charles Bedlow, David Savage, and
Benj. Tylee.

7 M. E., Prot. E., Presb., and R. C. Since 1855,3 churches have
been organized at Rouses Point; R. C., M. E., and Prot. E.

8 Pronounced SM-zee. It included the patent granted to
Elkanah Dean and 29 others, July 11,1769.

9 He was accompanied by two men, named Gonde and Swarte.
He was driven off in 1776, but returned after the war, and died
there in 1810.—
Palmer's Hist. Lake Champlain, p. 80.

10 Among the early settlers were Levi Hazen, Septa Fillmore,
John Bronson, Elisha Ransom, George Root, and John Douglas.
Miss M. Bingham taught the first school, in 1802.

11 2 M. E., Bap., Cong., and Wes. Meth.

12 Among these early settlers were Junio JJoward, Calvin John¬
son, C. A. Smith, Ebenezer Gates, George .Peters, and Stephen
Martin, mostly from Vt. The first child born was Bhoda S.
Howard, Feb. 7,1819; the first marriage, that of Cornelius'Aus¬
tin and Fanny Hall, in 1822; and the first death, that of a child
of William Hunter, in 1820. Mary Emmonds taught the first
school, in 1821; Benjamin Roberts kept the first inn; Charles D.
Backus the first store, in 1835; and John McCoy erected the first

is Named by Gen. Skinner, from a celebrated iron locality in


Called Point au Feu (Fire Point) upon a map bearing date
of 1748. During the Revolution, the Moira, a vessel of war,
anchored off this point, and barracks were built upon the land
for the winter quarters of the marines. The place was occupied
by the British until 1796. It was reserved by the State in 1787
for military purposes, but was not used.


Named froip Geo. Perry, former proprietor.


tion of the R. R. The passenger and freight depSts are both


and shut by steam, admits the passage of vessels. About one


mi. n. of the village, upon the banks of the lake, Fort Mont¬


lake. It was begun soon after the War of 1812; but in 1818 it
was found to be within the limits of Canada, and the work was


abandoned. It became known as ‘‘Fort Blunderbut by the
Webster Treaty pf 1842 it was ceded again to the U. S. Work
upon it has been resumed; and it is estimated that the completed
works will cost $600,000, of which sum $275,000 has already been


3 Named from Ebenezer Cooper, who erected mills there.


® Moore came in to survey the tract granted to Smith, Graves,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2