DELAWARE COUNTY. 261
1812. It occupies a nearly central position in the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the
deep valleys of the streams. The w. branch of the Delaware flows s. w. through the center of the
town, receiving from the sr. w. Platners, Peeks, Steels, and Elk Creeks, and from the s.e. Little
Delaware River. The valleys are generally narrow and bordered by steep hills. The soil is a
clay loam, and the surface is very stony in places. Delhi, (p. v.,) the county seat, is finely situated
on the n. bank of the w. branch of the Delaware. It was incorp. March 16, 1821. Besides the
co. buildings, it contains the Delhi Academy,14 churches, a bank, 2 printing offices, a woolen factory,
an iron foundry, a gristmill, and a sawmill. Pop. 919. The first settlement was commenced by
Abel and John Kidder, in 1785.2 The first religious meetings were conducted by Elder Kidder
Beck, in 1786. The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1798.2
FRAIVKLO3—was formed from Harpersfield, April 10, 1792. Walton was taken off in
1797, and a part was restored in 1801. A part of Meredith was taken off in 1800, Sidney in 1801,
and a part of Otego, (Otsego co.,) as “Huntsville,” in 1822. It lies upon the n. border of the co.,
w. of the center. Its surface is a billy upland, broken by deep and narrow valleys. The principal
streams are Ouleout5 Creek, flowing w. through the n. part of the town, and its two tributaries from
the s., Croton Creek and Handsome Brook. The soil upon the hills is a shaly loam underlaid by hard-
pan, and in the valleys a gravelly loam and alluvium. Franklin, (p. v.,) on the Ouleout, in
the N. w. part of the town, contains the Delaware Literary Institute,4 printing office, and 4 churches.
Pop. 490. Croton (p.v.) is situated upon Croton Creek, near the line of Meredith. Pop. 200.
NTortli Franklin is a p. o. Sluman Wattles, afterward j udge, was the first white settler who built
his cabin in the valley of the Ouleout. He came in 1784, and was accompanied by his brothers John
and Roger and his sisters Sarah and Caroline. The town was surveyed under Judge Wattles, who
acquired one of the 4 shares.7 The first church (Bap.) was formed at the house of Gad Merrick by
Elder Hamilton, in 1798.5
HAMDEI—was formed from Walton and Delhi as “Hampden,” April 4, 1825. Its name
was corrected March 17, 1826. It is the central town of the co. Its surface is a mountainous
upland, divided into two parts by the valley of the w. branch of the Delaware. The s. part is
covered by lofty peaks and ridges scarcely susceptible of cultivation. Bagleys Brook, a tributary
of the Delaware, and Clove Brook, in the s. e. part, are the other principal streams. The soil is
generally a brownish clay loam underlaid by hardpan. Hamden, (p.v.,) upon the Delaware,
near the center, contains mills, a woolen and satinet factory, and 2 churches. Pop. 191. ILaii-
§lngrille, 1J mi. above, on the s. side of the river, contains 2 churches and 116 inhabitants.
Mortla Hamden is a p. o. The first settlers were Daniel Harrower and Benajah McCall, who
came in some time previous to 1795.6 The census reports 4 churches in town.10
IIANCOC'St11—was formed from Colchester, March 28,1806. It lies upon Delaware River, in
the s. w. comer of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, ending in high and nearly pre¬
cipitous bluffs upon the Delaware, and divided into two parts by the e. branch of the Delaware,
which flows w. through the n. part. Beaver Kil flows into the e. branch in the e. part of tbfe town.
Sands and Cadosia Creeks and Rieds and Baxters Brooks are tributaries of the e. branch of the
Delaware, from the n. ; and Big Trout, Basket Pond, Giers, Sand Pond, Lords, and Homer Pond
6 In the groat Indian purchase of 250,000 acres, June 14,1768,
this stream is named Au-ly-ou-let.
® The buildings consist of one large stone edifice, containing
recitation rooms, &c., and two large boarding halls. The total
property of the institution is valued at $20,000.
7 Among the early settlerswereNathanEdgerton, Jas. Follett,
Alex. Smith, Daniel and Chauncey, sons of Enos Parker, Gen.
Aaron Chamberlain, Moses Clark, Asa Turner, Gad Merrick,
Hugh Thompson, Eph’m McCall, Asa Case, Turner and Daniel
Clarke, Sol. Green, John Dewey and sons, Maj. Joel Gillett, ——
Mix, Sharp, and Fitch. The first child born was Thos.
Edgerton; the first marriage was that of Judah Bartlett and
Caroline Wattles; and the first death, that of Mrs. Alexander
Smith, in 1795. Sluman Bartlett taught the first school, and
Asa Turner kept the first inn and store.
8 The census reports 9 churches; 3M.E., 2 Bap., 2 Cong., and
® Among the first settlers were Joseph Fisk, Henry Yan Wag¬
goner, Jas. Mason, Reuben Ward, Henry Edwards, Henry and
John Howard, Sam’l Robinson, Wm. Cornell, and John and Silas
Grimes. Jas. Howard kept the first inn, in 1796, and Matthias
Sweney built the first gristmill, in 1797. Gen. Elias Butler was
the first merchant near the Walton line.
10 Asso. Presb., Christian, Cong., and Presb.
u Named in honor of John Hancock, President of Continental
The first academic building was erected in 1820, on the
public square, near the courthouse. In 1856-57 a new site was
procured, containing 20 acres, upon the w. bank of Steels Brook,
and a new edifice, with two spacious hoarding halls, was erected.
The site is commanding, and affords a fine view of the village.
The institution has been endowed by moneys derived from the
sale of escheated lands in the co. to the value of $5114. Its total
property amounts to $28,820.
Tlie census reports 8 churches; 2 Christian, 2 Presb., and 1
each Prot. E., Bap., M. E., and Asso. Presb.
The township of Franklin, embracing 30,000 acres, was
tt quitrent of two and sixpence for every 100 acres annually.
others. It was named from Temple Franklin, a natural son of
Dr. Benj. Franklin.