DELAWARE COUNTY. 263
tlements commenced before the Revolution, but were broken up by the war.1 The first permanent
settlers after the war were from Conn., Dutchess co., N. Y., and Scotland.2 The first church
(Presb.) was formed in 1789: Rev. Wm. McAuley settled in town in Sept. 1794, and was installed
pastor June 6, 1795. He filled that office until the time of his death, March 21, 1851, a period
of 56 years.3
MASONVIEEE4—was formed from Sidney, April 4, 1811. Its surface is a’ hilly upland,
divided into 2 ridges by the valley of Bennetts Creek, which extends e. and w. through the sr. part
of the town. These ridges are subdivided by numerous lateral ravines, through which flow small
brooks. The highest summits are 600 to 1000 feet above the valleys and 1800 to 2000 feet above
tide. The surface is stony, and the soil a shaly loam, difficult of cultivation except in the valleys.
Masoiivllle (p.v.) is situated on Bennetts Creek, in the w. part of the town. Pop. 234. The
first settlement was commenced in 1795, on “ Cockburns Gore,”5 upon the w. border of the town, by
immigrants from Mass.4 In 1797, the State Road from Cherry Yalley to Jericho was opened
through the town. The first religious services were conducted by Rev. Joel Chapin, in 1797. The
first church (Bap.) was formed Dec. 7,1811. There are 3 churches in town; Bap., Presb. and M. E.
MEREDITH5—was formed from Franklin and Kortright, March 14, 1800. It is an interior
town, lying n. e. of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, less broken than most of the
towns in the co. The s. and e. parts of the town are occupied by the high .ridges forming the
watershed between Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers. The streams are small brooks and creeks.
The soil is a reddish clay and shaly loam. Ouleout (p. v.) contains 25 houses. Meredith
Square (Meredith p. o.) contains 2 churches and 20 houses. West Meredith (p. o.) is a
hamlet. These last two places are on the old Catskiil Turnpike. Settlement was begun in 1787, by
Joseph Bramhall, whose family were sole inhabitants till 1793.6 Elder Nathan Stilson (Bap.) held
the first meetings. He was not a regular preacher, but a zealous promoter of education and religion.7
MIDDLETOWIV—was formed from Rochester and Woodstock, (Ulster co.,) March 3, 1789.
Colchester was taken off in 1792, a part of Delhi in 1798, Andes in 1819, and a part of Bovina in
1820. It is the s. e. corner town of the co. Its surface is a mountainous upland, bisected by the
deep, narrow valley of the e. branch of the Delaware. The principal streams are Delaware River,
Platte Kil, Batavia Kil, Red Kil, Bush Kil, and Mill Creek. The valleys of these streams are
bordered by steep, rocky hillsides often rising into mountains. The soil is a shaly and gravelly
loam. Margaretvilie,10 (p.v.,) on the n. bank of the Delaware, near the center of the town,
contains 40 houses. G-riflms Corners,8 (p.v.,) on the Bush Kil, in the s.e. part, contains 30 *
houses. Clovesville, (p.o.,) Solitude, and Arkville are hamlets on the Bush Kil, below
Griffins Corners. Dry Ilrook Settlement is a lumber station on the s. branch of the Bush
Kil. HaleottsYille,12 (p. o.,) on the Delaware, near the e. border of the town, is a hamlet of a
dozen houses. Spruceville is a little settlement between Ilalcottsville and Margaretville.
New Kingston13 (p.o.) is a hamlet upon the Platte Kil, in the n. part of the town. Clarks
Factory14 (p. o.) is a little settlement on the Platte Kil, near its mouth. Eumberville (p. o.)
mons taught the first school; Simeon Wells kept the first inn;
Fitch & Phelps the first store, in 1808; and Joseph Bickneli
built the first saw and grist mill, in 1802.
I Named from SamT Meredith, of Philadelphia, who owned a
part of Franklin Patent. Hon. Sami. A. Law came into this
town in 1796, as agent and part owner of the Franklin Patent.
Being a New England man he influenced a large immigration
of New Englanders to this place, giving to it the peculiar
characteristics of a Connecticut town.
8 Among the early settlers who came in 1793 were Nathan
Stilson, Caleb Strong, N ath’l Stewart, Oliver Dutton, Dan’l North,
and Truman Stilson. Lucy Austin taught the first school; Jos.
Bramhall kept the first inn, and the first birth and death oc¬
curred in his family. Rufus Bunnell kept the first store, at the
Square, in 1799; David Spoor built the first gristmill, in 1802.
The first marriage of settlers was that of Elijah Georgia and
Keziali Stewart, who eloped and were married in the fall of
9 The census reports 4 churches; 2 Bap., 1 F. W. Bap., and 1
10 The old Indian village of “Pa.ka-tagh-Jcan” was situated about
1 mi. e. of this village, at the mouth of the Bush Kil.
II Named from the Griffin family, early proprietors and resi¬
12 A woolen factory is located at this place.
18 This village is situated in the center of a tract of land giveu
by Wm. Livingston to 100 sufferers of the Kingston fire in 1777
Each family received 50 acres.
14 Named from the Messrs. Clarks, who have an extensive tan¬
nery at this place.
Among these early settlers were Alex. Mills, agent for the
proprietor, Alex. Leal, Daniel McGilivrae, and Hugh Clark. The
township was surveyed by Wm. Cockburn in 1770, and the first
improvement began soon after.
By an advertisement dated Jan. 1785, it appears that 30
families were then settled in town. The proprietor offered 150
farms, more or less improved, free of rent 5 years, and sixpence
sterling per acre annually after forever. The first school was
taught by Jared Blakeley, in 1795. Thos. McAuley, brother of
the minister, and afterward Prof. in Union College, taught here
in 1799. Judge Keeler was the next teacher. A Mr. Alexander
built a mill before the war, and the irons concealed then have
never been found. The first birth was that of Dan’l McGilivrae;
the first marriage, that of Michael Sexsmith and Mary Ann
lligg3; and the first death, that of a son of Isaac Randell. By
an act of April 5,1810, fairs were established in the village of
“ Health,” in this town, for the sale of live stock, agricultural
produce, and domestic manufactures. It was to he supported hy
a tax of 1 per cent, on all sales.
8 The census reports 6 churches; 3 Asso. Bef. Presb., 2 M. E.,
and 1 Ref. Presb.
A narrow strip of land between Evans Patent and the “Line
6 Among the early settlers were Wm. and Aden Wait, Danl.
Scranton, Enos Goodman, Justin Nash, Peres Moody and son
of Sally, daughter of Daniel Wait, Aug. 10, 1797, and the first