DELAWARE COUNTY. 265
and shaly loam. (p. v,,) upon the Delaware, in the n. e. part of the town, on the line
of Harpersfield, contains a seminary,1 2 churches, and 2 woolen factories. Pop. 185. Hobart
(p. v.) is situated on the Delaware, 4 mi. below Stamford. Pop. 391. The first settlement was
made in 1773, by Dr. Stewart and John and Alex. More, from Scotland.2 The first church (St.
Peters Prot. E.) was formed at Hobart, Dec. 8, 1799. Rev. Philander Chase, afterward Bishop
of Ohio and 111., the first pastor, was installed Aug. 1799.3
TOMPKINS4—was formed from Walton, Feb. 28, 1806, as “ Pinefteld,” and its name was
changed March 11, 1808. It is the central town on the w. border of the co. Delaware River flows
westward through near the center of the town to the w. border, where it turns s. and forms a por¬
tion of the w. boundary. The portion of the town s. of the river is composed of broken and rocky
mountain masses too steep and rough for cultivation. The n. part is broken and hilly and but
partially cultivated. The soil is a clay, slate, and gravelly loam. Deposit5 (p. v.) is situated on
Delaware River, at the mouth of Oquaga Creek, on the line of Sanford, Broome co. It was incorp-
April 5, 1811.6 It is the center of a large lumber business, and is an important trading station
and wood depfit upon the N. Y. & Erie R. R. It contains a seminaiy,7 printing office, sawmill, a
large tannery, and 4 churches. Pop. 1249,—of which 593 are in Tompkins and 656 are in Sanford,
Broome co.: the depot and r. r. buildings are in the latter town. Cmimoiisville,8 (p.v.) at
the mouth of Trout Brook, on the Delaware, 7 mi. above Deposit, contains a Sawmill, flouring mill, a
large tannery, and 2 churches. Pop. 325. Hales Eddy,9 (p. o.,) on the Delaware, 5 mi. below
Deposit, Barbourville, (p. o.,) on Cold Spring Brook, near the n. border, and Trout
Creek, (p. o.,) in the n. e., are hamlets. Dickinsons Station is near the s. line. The
first settler was Squire Whittaker, from Wyoming,10 Penn., who came in 1787 ; John Hulse,nfrom
Neversink, (Sullivan co.,) came in April, 1789, and Philip Pine and Conrad Edict in 1791.12 The
first religious meetings were held at the house of John Hulse, by Rev. Hugh Compton, in 1794.13
WAEiTON14—was formed from Franklin, March 17, 1797. A part of Delhi was taken off in
1798, Tompkins in 1806, a part of Hamden in 1825, and a part of Colchester April 14, 1827. A
part of Colchester was set off Feb. 1, 1799, a part of Franklin March 13, 1801, and a part of Delhi
was annexed June 17, 1812. It is an interior town, lying w. of the center of the co. The deep
valley of the Delaware divides the town into two nearly equal parts. • The s. half is a broad,
rocky, mountainous region with abrupt declivities and a surface too rough for cultivation; the n.
half is broken and hilly, but generally well adapted to pasturage. The principal streams are East,
West, and Hydes Brooks. The soil is a shaly loam upon the hills and a fertile alluvium in the
valley. Tanning and lumbering are extensively carried on. ' Walton, (p. v.,) upon the N. bank
of the Delaware, near the center of the town, contains the Walton Academy15 and 3 churches.
Pop. 430. New Road, a p.o. in the extreme n. part, has 1 church. West Brook is a p.
office. Dr. Platt Townsend,16 of Dutchess co-, purchased a tract of 1740 acres in this town in 1784.
He surveyed it the same year, and in 1785 he located upon the present site of Walton Village. He was
accompanied by 5 families, of 20 persons, mostly from Long Island. A large number of immigrants
boarding students. The recent death of the principal has caused
a temporary suspension of the school.
8 In 1786 Jesse Dickinson, of Philadelphia, made a purchase of
an extensive tract of land in this vicinity, and made preparations
for the building of a city, to be called “ Dickinsons City.” He
built a gristmill upon Trout Creek, and a large hotel, which he
called the “ City Hall.” The town meetings were held in this
building for several years. Dickinson run the first raft that went
from the w. branch of the Delaware. Upon his failure, Benjamin
Cannon purchased the property, and from him the village de¬
rived its name.
9 Named from the Hale family, who were early settlers.
10 Mr. W. was one of the survivors of the massacre of Wyoming;
and his sons John and Benjamin, then children, remember many
incidents of that event and the subsequent escape. He stated
that Brandt was at Cherry Valley at the time of the massacre,
and, of course, was not a participant in its atrocities.
11 The place where he settled is now (1859) occupied by his
grandson, Martial R. Hnlse.
12 Mr. Edict was a soldier of the Revolution. The first birth
was that of Polly Hulse, in 1789 or ’90; and the first death, that
of Dorcas, wife of Oliver Hale, about 1790.
18 The census reports 7 churches; 3 Bap., 2 M.E., and 2 Presb.
14 Named from Wm. Walton, a large land proprietor in this
vicinity. Walton’s Patent (20,000 acres) was granted in 1770.
45 The academy building was erected in 1853. The institution
has a good library and is in a flourishing condition.
10 Dr. Townsend received 1700 acres for surveying, and paid
50 cts.per acre for the remainder, receiving his deed in 1786.
The Stamford Collegiate Institute, established in 1851.
Jas. Stewart, Wm. Frazer and son Simon, from Scotland,
came in 1775. During the war most of the settlers left, but re¬
turned in March, 1786. In 1789, a company consisting of 20
heads of fiimilies and 2 single men (principally from Fairfield
co. Conn.) came into Delaware co. to examine the country and
select locations. Several of them loeated in this town, and
others soon followed. Dea. John Grant taught the first school,
in the winter of 1788-89. Lient. Paine kept the first inn and
store, and Calden built the first mill, near Bloomviile,
before 1780. Andrew Beers, the almanac maker, resided in this
town. The first marriage was that of Simon Frazier and Abiali
Potter, Jan. 1787; the first birth, that of Wm. Stewart, Sept. 1,
1776; and the first death, that of Margaret Frazier, in 1791.
8 There are 8 churches in town; 4 M. E., 2 Asso. Ref. P.,Prot.
E., and Union.
Named from Daniel D. Tompkins, soon afterward Governor.
6 Named from having formerly been an important station,
or place of “deposit,” for lumber preparatory to rafting in
“ the spring freshets.” It was called by the Indians “ Coker
ose,” (Owls Nest,) a name corrupted by the English into
“ Cookhouse,” by which it is still designated by the old inhabi¬
0 The original corporate limits of the village were entirely
within tho town of Tompkins. A part of Sanford, Broome co.,
was annexed in 1852. The charter was amended in 1858.
Laurel Bank Seminary was opened Dec. 14,1853. It is a fine
building, situated s. of the river, on a commanding site over¬
looking the village and valley. It has accommodations for 200