272 DUTCHESS COUNTY.
churches. Pop. 14T6. Wappingers Falls, (p.v.,) at the head of navigation onWappingers Creek,
1J mi. from the Hudson, lies partly in Poughkeepsie. It is largely engaged in manufacturing.1 Wap-
pingers Creek here falls 75 feet, furnishing an excellent water power. The village contains 4 churches.
Pop. 1819, of which 1139 are in this town. Huglisonville, (p.v.,) 1J mi. s. of Wappingers
Falls, contains a church and a steam saw and grist mill. Pop. 245. New Macfeeiasacli,
(p.v.,) in the n. part, contains 1 church and 15 dwellings; FisMiill, (p.v.,) near the center,
contains the Fishkill Seminary, the Fishkill Collegiate Institute, 2 private schools, a newspaper
office, a bank, savings’ hank, 3 churches, and 130 dwellings. Oiesaliam, (p.v.,) 2} mi. below
Fishkill, contains a woolen factory,2 3 churches, and 75 dwellings. Cartilage Faiasliiag, (p. v.,)
on the Hudson, 5 mi. above Fishkill Landing, contains 1 church and 30 dwellings. Myers Cor¬
ners, Swartoutville, and BrinkerlioflVille are hamlets. The first settlement is sup¬
posed to have been made before 1690. The earliest records, dated in 1697,3 are papers relating to
lands. The town lies within the tract granted to Francis Eumbout and others, Oct. 17, 1685.4 In
colonial times it formed a part of the Eumbout and Fishkill precincts. The first constitutional con¬
vention held a session in this town in the fall of 1776. There are 22 churches in town.5
MlfEJE PIMK6—was formed from Clinton, Jan. 26,1821. It lies upon the Hudson, a little
n. of the w. border of the co. Its surface is principally a rolling and moderately hilly upland,
terminating on the Hudson in a bluff 180 ft. high. Hog and Lloyds Hills, in the n. part, each
about 500 ft. above the river, are the highest points in town. The principal streams are Crum
Elbow Creek, and Fall Kil, tributaries of the Hudson, The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam
underlaid by slate. Hyde Paris., (p.v.,) finely situated upon an eminence half a mi. e. of the
river, contains 4 churches, a gristmill, and 692 inhabitants. Staatslburgll (p. o.) is a r. r. station
and hamlet in the n. part of the town; Union Corners and Hyde Park Landing are
hamlets. Numerous elegant residences, occupying splendid sites, have been erected along the
banks of the river. The first settler is supposed to have been Jacobus Stoughtenburgh, the owner
of one of the nine water lots;” he came to the town about 1720. Gov. Morgan Lewis formerly re¬
sided upon the place now occupied by Hon. J. K. Paulding. The census reports 7 churches in town.7
JLA GEASGE8—was formed from Beekman and Fishkill, as “Freedom,” Feb. 9,1821. Its
name was changed in 1828. A part of Union Vale was taken off in 1827. It is an interior town,
lying s. w. of the center of the co. Its surface is a rolling and moderately hilly upland. Sprout
Creek, the principal stream, flows s. through near the center. Wappingers Creek forms the w.
boundary. The soil is a gravelly loam. La Orangeville^ (p. v.,) in the s. e. part, contains
2 gristmills and 14 houses; and Freedom Flain's, (p.v.,) near the center, a church and 14
houses. Titusville,9 1 mi. s. of Manchester Bridge, is a hamlet. Sprout Creelt (p. o.) is
a hamlet in the s. part. Manchester Bridge, (p.o.,) on the w. line, is mostly in Pough¬
keepsie. Artlmr§trargll (p. o.) is a hamlet in the s. corner. The first religious society
(Friends) was formed before 1800. There are two churches in town; Friends and Presb.
MIliAN10—was formed from Northeast, March 16, 1818. It lies on the sr. border of the co.,
w. of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland broken by the deep valleys of the streams. The
declivities are generally gradual slopes, and the hills are arable to their summits. Eoeliff Jansens
Kil crosses the n. e. comer. The other streams are small and are bordered by fertile intervales.
The soil is a clayey, gravelly, and slaty loam. Jacfesons Corners, (p.v.,) on Eoeliff Jansens
amount of $45,000 annually. Wiccopee, i mi. below Matteawan,
was the seat of the Wiccopee Color Mills, since changed to the
New York Rubber Co., engaged in the manufacture of rubber
toys. This co. has a capital of $125,000, employs 125 men, and
turns out $100,000 to $150,000 worth of goods per year.
1 The Dutchess Printing Co., incorp. with a capital of $300,000,
employs 300 hands, and produces $750,000 worth of prints per
annum. The Franklin Dale Manuf’g Co., incorp. with a capital
of $150,000, employs- 250 hands, and turns out. $150,000 worth
of printing cloths per annum. There are, besides, a foundry,
comb factory, and numerous machine shops. A large cotton
factory was burnt here a few years since, and has not. been re¬
2 The Glenham Woolen Co., incorp. with a capital of $75,000,
employs 175 hands, and turns out $275,000 worth of goods an¬
nually. . It was first started in 1811.
3 The first mill was erected at the mouth of Fishkill, some
time before 1709. A ferry to Newburgh was authorized in 1743.
4 The house now occupied by Hon. Isaac Teller and his sisters
at Matteawan—one of the first built-in town—belonged to Roger
Brett, a son-in-law of Runabout. It was built about 1710. The
house is one story, 87 by 36 ft., the sides and roof covered with
cedar- shingles. It was often filled with officers and soldiers
in the Revolution, and salt was stored in its cellar for the
6 The first church (Ref. Prot. T).) was formed at Fishkill Vil¬
lage early in the last century; hut the precise date cannot be
ascertained. The earliest church records bear date of Sept. 30,
1727. Rev. Dr. De Witt supposed that the church was formed as
early as 1716. The present edifice was built in 1786, in the place
of one built in 1731. The old church was used for barracks by
the American army during the Revolution. The present churches
are as follows:—Presb., M. E., Ref. Prot. D., and Af. Meth. at Fish-
kill Landing; Presb., Prot. E., Prot. Meth., and R.C. at Matfear
wan; M.E., Ref. Prot. D., and Prot. E. at Glenham; M.E., Ref.
Prot. D., and Prot. E. at Fishkill; M.E., Prot. E., and Bap. at Wap¬
pingers Falls; Presb. at Brinkerhoffville; M. E. at Carthage Land¬
ing; Presb. at Hughsonviile; and Ref. Prot. D. at New Hackensack.
6 Named by Dr. John Bard, from Hyde Park, London.
7 Prof. E., M.E„ Bap., Presb., Ref. Prot. D., R.C., and Friends.
8 Named from La Fayette’s residence in France.
0 The Titus Woolen Factory, established here in 1828. employs
60 to 70 hands, and turns out about $100,000 worth of cloths per
annum; capital, $50,000.
10 This town is included in the tract known as the £: Little