Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 317
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


t(Rawsonville.,} It contains 3 churches, 3 buckskin dressing mills, a saw and grist mill, and 3
mitten factories. Pop. 651. Mills Corners, (p.o.,) in the
e. part, is a hamlet. Union
Mills (p. o.) contains a sawmill, paper mill, a peg factory, and 10 houses. IVortll Broadal-
bin, (p.o.,) in the N. e. part, contains a church, saw and grist mill, and 10 houses. The first
settlement was commenced before the Revolution.1 The census reports 5 churches in town.2

CAROGA3—was formed from Stratford, Bleecker, and Johnstown, April 11, 1842. It lies on
the n. border of the co., w. of the center. Its surface is rolling in the s. and broken in the sr. by
small, sharp mountains. A large hill lies w. of Garoga Creek; and a swell of land rises about 300
ft. between the principal branches. Numerous clusters of lakes lie in the center and sr. part of
the town, the principal of which are E. and \V. Eish Lakes, Garoga Lake, the Stink Lakes, Bellows,
Prairie, Green, and Pine Lakes. Garoga Creek flows s. from Garoga Lake. A small portion of
the area only is susceptible of cultivation. Lumbering is the principal business. Newkirks
Mills (p. v.) contains a church, (Ref. Prot. D.,) a large tannery, and 30 houses. The first settle¬
ment commenced about 17904

EPHRATAH—was formed from Palatine, (Montgomery co.,) March 27, 1827. A part was
re-annexed to that town on the division of the co. in 1838. It lies on the s. border of the co., w.
of the center. Its surface is mostly a hilly upland, 400 to 1,500 ft. above the Mohawk. Garoga
Creek flows s. w. through the town, in a deep valley, the hills on either side rising about 800 feet
above the creek. The soil is sandy, and in the s. e. a clayey loam. Ephratah, (p. v.,) in the
s. part, contains a church, gristmill, a large tannery, and 359 inhabitants. Garoga, (p.v.,) in
•* the n. part, contains a saw and grist
mill and 12 houses. Kockwoocl, (p. v.,) in the n. e.
corner, contains 2 churches, 2 sawmills, a gristmill, 2 tanneries, a buckskin dressing mill, and 196
inhabitants. Lassellsviile, (p. v.,) in the w. part, contains 2 churches and 20 houses. The
first settlement commenced under the auspices of Sir Wm. Johnson, in 1765.4 The census reports
6 churches in town.6

JOHISTOWS5—was formed from “Caughnawaga,” (now Broadalbin, Johnstown, and
Mayfield,) March 12, 1793. Lake Pleasant was taken off in 1812, Bleecker in 1831, Mohawk in
1837, and a part of Caroga in 1842. A part of Bleecker was re-annexed in 1841. It lies on the s.
border of the co., near the center. A series of hills occupy the n. part. A high ridge extends
through the e. part; Garoga Creek, through the n. w. corner; and a branch of the Cayadutta through
the w. part. The soil is a clayey and sandy loam. The manufacture of buckskin gloves and mittens
w. part. The soil is a clayey and sandy loam. The manufacture of buckskin gloves and mittens
forms an important item in the business of the town. JoJmstown (p. v.) was incorp. April 1,

1808. It is situated on the Cayadutta, s. e. of the center; and it contains the co. buildings, 7
churches, the Johnstown Academy,6 3 printing offices, a bank, 2 gristmills, a sawmill, planing
* mill, and gas works. Pop. 1,661. Gloversville, (p. v.,) on the Cayadutta, 4 mi. n. of Johns¬
town, is noted for its manufacture of gloves and mittens.7 It was incorp. in April, 1853, and
contains 3 churches, the Gloversville Union Seminary, a printing office, a bank, a paper box fac¬
tory, machine shop, and gristmill. Pop. 1,965. fOng'sborougli, (p. v.,) in the E. part, con¬
tains a church, an academy, 10 mitten factories, and 300 inhabitants. ISaMfimoissville, (p. v.,)
in the s. w., contains a paper mill, gristmill, and 15 houses. West Btisli, (p. o.,) in the n. part,
Kecks Center, (p. o.,) in the w. part, and McEwens Corners are hamlets. The first

Wm. Smith, Henry Hart, Zachariah Tripp, John Cassleman,
Peter Schutt, and Jacob Eplie, from Germany, came in from
Schoharie, mostly before the Revolution. The first German

school was taught by Moot, and the first English school hy

McLean. A gristmill was built by Sir Wm. Johnson soon

after the first settlement. It was afterward burned by tlie
tories. Johannes Winkle built the first mill after the Revolu¬

0 2 M. E., 2 Union, Bap., and Ref. Prot. D.

1 Named from Sir William Johnson. The town embraces the
Kingsborough Patent, granted June 23, 1753, a part of Stone
Arabia, Butler’s, and the Sacondaga Patents.

8 This academy was built in 1798-99, by Wm. Van Vort. Sir
Wm. Johnson set apart a portion of the Kingsborough Patent for
the benefit of a free school. This reservation was respected by
the courts of forfeiture, and trustees were appointed to take
charge of the trust. The proceeds were appropriated to tho
use of this academy.

0 There are in this town over 100 establishments forthemanu
facture of gloves and mittens, and 10 mills for dressing the
skins. This business was first commenced hy Ezekiel Case, in
1803, and has grown from a small beginning, until now it ia
said that over $500,000 capital is invested in it.


Henry Stoner, Joseph Scott, Benj. Deline, Philip Helmer,
Andrew Bowman, Herman Salisbury, John Putnam, Joseph
Desilver, John Homan, Elias Cady, settled near Fondas Bush
before the Revolution.—
Simms’s Trappers of N. K, p. 21. James
McIntyre, Alexander Murray, Alexander Oliver, Daniel McIn¬
tyre, and Nathan Brockway, from Scotland, Peter Demarest
and Derrick Banta, from N. J., Abram Manchester, Reuben
Burr, and Enoch Cromwell, from New Eng., settled soon after the

Revolution. Rev. Romeyn held the first religious services,

after the war, in 1790-92.


Presb., M. E., Bap., Christian, and Union.


s Named from the principal stream. Custom has applied the
name “Garoga” to the latter, and “Caroga” to the town.


Stewart, Nathan Lovelace, Isaac Peckham, Elijah Gardner, Ira
Beach, John Mead, Jas. McLellan, Titus Foster, Lemuel Lewis,
and Daniel Goff, were also early settlers. The first marriage
was that of Francis Vandercook and Lucy Jeffers, in 1800. The


, & Frederick Getrnan, Jacob Empie, and Jacob Schell settled


near the village. Nicholas Rector, Jacob Fry, Henry Herring,


Philip Kreitzer, Wm. Cool, - Deutzler,    Johannes    Winkle,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2