318 FULTON COUNTY.
settlement was commenced under the auspices of Sir Wm. Johnson, in 1760. He removed to “ John¬
son Hall,” about f of a mi. n. w. of Johnson Village, in 1761 or ?62. There were then about a dozen
houses in the village, and 100 tenants on farms adjacent. The lands were leased by him with th&
evident intention of establishing a baronial estate for his family.1 The census reports 11 churches
MA1FIEL© 3—was formed from “ CaugTinawaga,” (now Broadalbin, Johnstown, and May¬
field,) March 12,1793. Wells was taken off in 1805, and another portion of Mayfield was annexed to
that town in 1812. A part was annexed to Perth in 1842. It lies on the n. border of the co., e. of
the center, and extends nearly to the s. line. Its surface in the n. part is broken by mountains rising
1,500 to 2,000 ft. above tide. These elevations are of primary formation, with rounded summits,
the higher peaks having steep declivities. The central and s. parts are rolling and generally
susceptible of cultivation. Stony Creek flows through the n. w. corner; Mayfield Creek through
near the center; Fondas Creek4 through the s. E. part; and Cranberry Creek in the e. part.
The soil is sandy aud gravelly, in some places strewn with boulders. The valleys are alluvial,
with some clayey loam. Mayfield (p. v.) contains 2 churches, a saw and grist mill, and 600
inhabitants. Vails Mills, (p.v.,) in the s.e. part, contains a sawmill, a gristmill, a tannery,
and 20 houses. JTaciiSOii Summit is a p. o. The first settlement was commenced about 1760
or ’61, under Sir Wm. Johnson, on the old road from Tribes Hill to the Sacondaga, and was then
called “Philadelphia Bus7i.”s There are 2 churches in town; M. E. and Presb.
IORTHAMPTOI 3—was formed from Broadalbin, Feb. 1, 1799. It is the n. e. corner
town of the co. Its surface is hilly in the n., the hills rising about 1,000 ft. above the valley.
In the s. part the Sacondaga4 Vlaie occupies several thousand acres, which cannot easily be drained.
Sacondaga Biver flows s. e. through the center of the town, in a valley \ to 1-| mi. wide. Mayfield
Creek flows e. near the s. border. The soil in the valley is a rich alluvium, and on the upland a sandy
loam. In places it is stony and rocky. Shell marl abounds in the bed of the Vlaie. Morfliville,
(p. v.,) in the n. part, contains 3 churches, 4 mitten factories, and 450 inhabitants. Wortliamp-
toil,8 (p.v.,) in the s.e. corner, contains 2 churches, a large tannery, and 210 inhabitants; and
Oslioms Bridge (p.o.) a church and 10 houses. (Cranberry Creelt is a p. o. The first
settlement commenced under Sir Wm. Johnson, about 1770.5 The census reports 5 churches in
town.6 A part of Wells (Hamilton co.) was taken off in 1805.
€> 1*3* E VISES M—was formed from Palatine, (Montgomery co.,) March 18, 1808. St: Johns-
ville (Montgomery co.) was taken off in 1838. It is the s. w. corner town of the co. Its surface
is a hilly upland, inclining gradually to the s. w. In the n. e. part the hills rise 1,200 to 1,500
ft. above the Mohawk. East Canada Creek flows s. along the w. border. Fish Creek flows
through the n. w. corner. Little Sprite, Crum, Zimmermans, and Fox Creeks all flow s. w. The soil
in the s. w. is clay, in the s. e. a clayey loam, and in the center and n. a light, sandy and gravelly
loam. Boulders are scattered over the surface in profusion; and primary rock appears in the n.
Limestone has been extensively quarrie'd in the s. w. part, for the Erie Canal and for private use.
Oppeillieim, (p. v.,) near the center, contains a church, a sawmill, and 59 inhabitants.
Brocli.etts Bridge, (p. o.,) in the w. part, on the line of Herkimer co., Eofvlile, (p. o.,) in the
David and Luke Woodworth, and Jonah Bartlett were also early
settlers. The first birth was that of Mary Cough, in 1766.
Christian Eurtenback taught a German school in 1771. Mills
were built for Sir Wm. Johnson in 1773.
6 Named from the patent granted to Jacob Mase, John R.
Bleecker, and others, Oct. 17,1741.
t Local pronunciation, Sock-na-daw-gar.
3 Locally known as “ Fishhouse.”
9 Godfrey Shew was the first settler; John Eikler, Lent and
Nicholas Lewis, Rctoert Martin, Zebulon Alger, families of
Ketchums and Chadwicks, Asahel Parker, John Trumbull,
John Rosevelt, Alexander St. John, and John Fay, were among
the other early settlers. Soon after the Revolution, Zadoc Sher¬
wood and Samuel Olmsted settled at Northville. They were
followed by Thos. Foster, Daniel and Timothy Ressequie, John
McNeil, Calvin Young, Adam Olmsted, Cornelius Richardson,
Elihu Coleman, Sylvanus Sweet, Robert Palmer, John Randall,
Eli Sprague, Green Wells, Cornelius Harving. Felix Porter, and
John Denison,—mostly from New England. The first birth was
that of Godfrey Shew, about 2 years before the Revolution; the
first marriage was that of Alexander St. John and Martha
Scribner, about 1798; and the first recorded death, thatofGideon
10 2 Presb., 2 M. E., and Bap.
Among the tenants were Dr. Wm. Adams; Gilbert Tice, inn¬
keeper; Peter Young, miller: William Phillips, wagon maker;
Jas. Davis, hatter; Peter Yost, tanner; Adrian Van Sickle, Maj.
John Little, and Zephaniah Bachelor. The first school was
taught by Balworth, and the second by G. B. Throop. The
tenants were imbued with the political sentiments of tlie John¬
son family, and shared its fortunes. The estates were confiscated
during the Revolution; and many from New England settled
there after the war.
The first clergyman, according to-the records, was Rev.-
Moseley, in 1770. The churches are 2 M. E., 2 Presb., Bap.,
Cong., Evan. Luth., Asso. Presb., Prot. E., Ref. Prot. D., and
ters, Peter Whitman, - Schutt, - Circaman, Michael
Haynes, George Cough, Simon Christie, and John Anderson,
David Knapp, Alvin McDougal, Peter and John McKinley,
Duncan Anderson, Isaac Bemas, Captain and Major Tan
fieuren, Douw and Jellis Eonda, Samuel Lefferts. William Vail,