JEFFERSON COUNTY. 357
and of the mainland opposite, are valuable seine fisheries. A town ag. soc. was formed in 1850.1
There are 3 churches in town.2
CHAMPION3—was formed from Mexico, March 14, 1800. A part of Harrisburgh was taken
off in 1803. It is the central town on the s. e. border of the co. The surface is broken and hilly.
The most elevated portions are the slate hills in the s. angle, (known as the “peak,”) which are
about 1700 feet above tide. From their summits the land descends in a series of broken and
irregular terraces to the river. The n. part is more level. The soil is generally a clay loam,
but near the river in some places it is sandy. Champion (p. v.) contains 20 houses, Great
Bend (p.v.) and West Carthage4 about 30 each. Champion South Roads is a p.o.
The first settlement was begun in 1798, by Noadiah Hubbard, as agent for Storrs. The first settlers •
came by water down the river as far as the Long Falls, and the town was settled with great
rapidity.5 The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1805.®
CRAYTON—was formed from Orleans and Lyme, April 27, 1833, and named in honor
of John M. Clayton, U. S. Senator from Del. It is centrally situated on the n. w. border of the co.
It embraces two-fifths of Penets Square, a gore w. and another n. of that tract, and Grindstone
and several smaller islands in the St. Lawrence. The surface is level, or slightly rolling. Water
lime has been manufactured in considerable quantities. Clayton,7 (p.v.,) situated at the mouth
of French Creek,8 is largely engaged in the lumber trade and in ship building.9 Pop. 896.
Depauville10 (p.v.) is situated at the head of navigation on Chaumont (Sha-mo) River, (or
Catfish Creek,) 6 mi. from the bay. Pop. 386. Clayton Center is a p. o. Settlement com¬
menced in 1803, but progressed slowly until after the war. For many years the titles to the portions
included in Penets Square and the islands became the subject of much controversy and litigation.
In early times the shores of the St. Lawrence in this and adjoining towns became the scene
of many lawless adventures in the prosecution of smuggling.11 In 1813, the enemy attacked the
advanced guard of Wilkinson’s expedition, commanded by Gen. Brown, at Bartlets Point, but were
repulsed. The census reports 7 churches in town.12
ELLISBURGH13 —was formed from Mexico, Feb. 22, 1803. Henderson was set off in 1806. 1
It is situated in the s. w. corner of the co., upon the shore of Lake Ontario. The surface is
rolling and inclined toward the lake. A range of low sand hills extend along the shore, and these
are succeeded by a wide marshy region, producing wild grasses that in dry seasons may be mown.
North and South Sandy Creeks are the principal streams. The soil is sandy on the w., clayey
through the center, and a slaty loajn in the e. There is a sulphur spring in town. This is
the wealthiest agricultural town in the co., and is surpassed by but few in the State. Ellis
Village,14 (Ellisburgh p. o., ) situated on S. Sandy Creek, 4 mi. from its mouth, has a limited
amount of manufactures. Pop. 230. Belleville,15, (p.v.,) is situated on N. Sandy Creek, 3 mi.
from Ellis Village, and on the S. H. & E. R. R. Pop. 363. The Union Literary Society (academy)
is located here. Pierrepont Manor,16 (p.v.,) at the junction of the W. & R. and S. H.
& E. R.R., contains 255 inhabitants. WOOdville,17 (p.v.,) is situated on N. Sandy Creek.
Pop. 180. Mannsville,18 (p.v.,) on Skinners Creek and the W. & R. R.R., has a population
capacious bay, known as “ Basin Harbor,” which affords a shelter
for boats. The whole island is now a single dairy farm.
1 This society is open to the citizens of Lyme, Clayton, and
Wolf Island. 2 Presb., Prot. E., and K. C.
8 No. 4, or “ Howard,” of the “ Eleven Towns.” It fell to the
share of Harrison and Hoffman, and hy them was sold to Gen.
Ileury Champion, of Colchester, Conn., and Lemuel Storrs. It
was settled under Judge Noadiah Hubbard and Alfred Lathrop,
agents of the last named proprietor. The name was given in
honor of Gen. Champion, who presented the town with a bell
for the compliment.
* Considerable amounts of lumber, oil, flour, and cloth are
manufactured in this village.
6 Among the first settlers, who came in in 1798-99, were John,
Thos. and Salmon Ward, David and Sami. Starr, Joel Mix,
Ephm. Chamberlain, Jonathan Mitchell, Bela Hubbard, and
David Miller. The first school was taught hy E. Chamberlain,
jn 1800. The first sawmill was built in 1802, by John Eggleson
and Wm. Hadsall. The first grist mill was built at West Car¬
thage, by David Coffeen, in 1806. A furnace was built at the
same place in 1834, and about 1000 tons of iron produced. Several
prominent lawyers, among whom were Moss Kent, brother of
the chancellor, Egbert Ten Eyck, and Henry R. Storrs, settled
in Champion, in expectation of its becoming the co. seat of
the new co. to be erected from Oneida.
6 Rev. Nathl. Dutton was the first regular settled pastor in
the town and co. There are 6 churches in town; 2 Cong., 2
M. E., Rap., and Union.
iFormerly called “ Cornelia” and still frequently called
“French Creek.” A party of Patriots made this place their
rendezvous in preparing to invade Canada. The same party
took possession of Hickory Island; hut upon the approach of the
British they fled, leaving their armament behind.
8 This stream is called hy the Indians Wet-er-ingh-ra-gu-en-te-re,
or “ Fallen Fort,” from a fort taken by the Oneidas from another
tribe long before the advent of the whites.
9 The timber is brought in vessels from the upper lakes, and
here made up into rafts. Most of the steamers belonging to the
American line have been built-at this port and at Wolf Island.
10 De-po-ville. Named from Francis Depau, an early pro¬
prietor. The place was formerly known as “ Catfish Falls.”
Stephen Johnson built the first mill and opened the first store
at this place, in 1824.
11 During the embargo of 1808 a road was cut through the
woods, and immense quantities of potash,were taken to Canada
12 4 M.E., and one each Bap., R. C., and Union.
13 Named from Marvel Ellis, an early proprietor, and Lyman
Ellis, the first settler.
. 11 The oldest settlement in the co.
15 Named from Belleville, in Canada.
16 It is the residence of Hon. Wm. C. Pierrepont, from whom
the village derives its name.
17 Named from Ebenezer, Ephraim, and Jacob Wood, the first
18 Named from Col. H. B. Mann, who erected a factory at this
place, but which was afterward burned.