several smaller islands in the St. Lawrence. The surface is level, or slightly rolling. The principal
streams are Perch River, Catfish and Mullet Creeks. Perch Lake lies upon the s. boundary.
The soil is clay and loam. Ea, Farg'eville,1 (p. v.,) on Chaumont River, near the center of the
town, is the seat of Orleans Academy. Pop. 295. Omar,2 (p. o.,) on Mullet Creek, and Stone
Mills,3 (p. o.,) are small villages. Orleans 4 Corners, (p.o.,) Port Orleans, and
Collins Eanding are hamlets. Penets Square, which embraced most of this town, was
settled by squatters.* The first settlements commenced about 1806.1 In 1824, John La
Farge, a large owner in these lands, came into town to assert his" claim. After a great deal
of difficulty and some resistance, he succeeded in establishing his title. In 1838 the mansion and
farm of La Farge, 1 mi, s. of the village, were purchased by Bishop Dubois as the site for a
Catholic seminary. This institution, named “St. Vincent de Paul,” combining a theological seminary
and classical boarding school, was soon after opened; but in two or three years it was removed
to Fordham, Westchester co., and was afterward incorp. as St. John’s College. Rock Island Light¬
house was built in 1853. The British steamer Sir Robert Peel was plundered and burned on the
night of May 29, 1838, while taking in wood at Wells Island, in this town, by a party of 22 self-
styled patriots, led by Bill Johnston.6 The census reports 8 churches.2
PAMEEIA3 —was formed from Brownville, April 12, 1819. In 1824 its name was changed
to “ Leander;” but soon after the former name was restored. A portion of Orleans was annexed
April 1, 1824. It is the central town of the co. The surface is level, or gently undulating,
and the soil is clay and sand. Near the cascade opposite Watertown are several caves in the
limestone rock,4 In the vicinity of Perch Lake have been found several barrows, or sepulchral
mounds. Pamelia, Tillage and Julielville5—the former opposite the lower part and the
latter the upper part of Watertown Tillage—are places of considerable manufactures,6 and have
each 200 to 300 inhabitants. Pamelia Four Corners (p.v.) contains about 30 houses. The
first settlement began in 1799.7 The census reports 2 churches.8
PHIEADEEPHIA—was formed from Le Ray, April 3, 1821. It is an interior town, e.
of the center of the co. Its surface is level in the e., but rocky and broken in the w. The soil is
generally a clayey loam. Indian River and Black Creek are the principal streams. Iron ore is
found in considerable quantities. The principal bed that is worked is known as the Shurtliff
mine. In Sterlingville is a large chalybeate spring. Philadelphia,1* (p.v.,) upon Indian
River, has 55 houses, and Sterlingville,15 (p.v.,) upon Black Creek, 40. At the latter place
are a large blast furnace16 and a forge.17 The first settlement was commenced in 1804, by Friends
from Penn, and N.J.18 In 1810 the Friends erected a building which for 17 years was used as a
school and meeting house.19
are evidently all formed by currents of water flowing through
the,natural seams in the rock and gradually wearing away the
soluble and yielding limestone. In the rear of the principal
cavern a large area of land has sunk to a considerable depth, as
though a portion had fallen in.
40 Named.from Madame Juhel, a relative of the Le Ray
44 These manufactures consist of lumber, spirits, leather, cotton
yarn, and portable steam engines.
42 The first. settlers were Wm. Cooper and Wm. Watkins.
Anson Sigourney taught the first school; Samuel Mack kept
the first inn, Jabez Foster, the first store; and Tuttle and Bailey
built the first mill. »
43 M. E. and Union.
44 Often called “ Quaker Settlement” by the old inhabitants.
45 Named from James Sterling, the owner of the iron works.
Formerly called “ De Launey’s Mill,” from the builder of the
first mill, in 1807.
46 Built in 1837, by James Sterling. The ore is principally
obtained from the Sterling mine of Antwerp, and the Shurtliff
mine of this town, near the line of Theresa, the ore from the
latter being used principally as a flux. •
47 Built by Caleb Essington, in 1839.
48 These settlers purchased 16 lots of 440 acres each, lying in
the corners of a square containing 25 lots, of which the central
range each way was reserved by Le Ray. The center lot, (No.
611,) embracing the site of the present village, was conveyed to
trustees “ for the promotion.of religion and learning” under the
care of the Quakers. This trust afterward occasioned much
contention, and led to a miniature anti-rent war. The matter
was finally settled in 1844. Cadwallader Child, Mordecai Tay¬
lor, and Samuel Evans came in the first year. Robert Com¬
fort kept the first inn, Sami. Case, the first store, and Thos.
and John Townsend built the first mill. Anna Comstock kept
the first school. The first child born was John Townsend, and
the first death that of a daughter of Robt. Comfort, in 1807.
49 The census reports 5churches; 2M. E., Bap., Friends, Univ.
Among the first settlers were Roderic C. Frazier, Peter Pratt,
Dr. Reuben Andrus, Samuel and Daniel Ellis, and others. Alvah
Goodman kept the first inn; Lemuel George, the first store;
Collins & Platt erected the first grist mill, and Dr. Andrus, the
first sawmill, in 1819.
4 Two Evang. Luth., Bap., Cong., M. E., R. C., Wes. Meth., and
Named from the wife of Gen. Jacob Brown. Her maiden
name was Pamelia Williams.
These caverns have been traced nearly 500 feet. Just below’
and partly under the village of Juhelville, the open mouths of
several caves appear on the river bank, opening at both ends on
♦ he cliff. The passages are lined with calcareous deposits, in
the form of agaric mineral, stalactites, and tufa. These caves