Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 363
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Tho fcoil is sandy and moderately fertile. Carthage1 (p.v.) is finely situated upon Black
Biver, at the lower terminus of the B. B. Canal improvement. It contains 5 churches, a private
,2 and is the seat of important manufactures.3 Pop. about 1,500. Natural Bridge,4
(p. v.,) on Indian Biver, contains 40 houses. j| Wilna and North Wilna are p. offices ; and
Wood Settlement is a hamlet. Settlskient was commenced in 1798, at Carthage, by Henry
Boutin, one of the French Company
,5 The village and town were chiefly settled under Le Bay.6
The census reports 7 churches.7

WORTH7—was formed from Lorraine, April 12, 1848. It lies upon the high, slaty, and
shaly ridges in thp s. part of therco. It is 1200 to 1500 feet above tide, and is the most elevated
land in the co. It is subject to deep snows and early frosts. Wherever the surface is exposed to
the action of running water, deep gulfs have been worn in the soft and yielding rock. .There
are several sulphur springs in town. The soil is principally derived from the disintegration of the
underlying rocks, and is well adapted to grazing. About one half of the town is settled.
Worthville is a hamlet, and is the only p. o. The first settlement was made in 1802, by an
association from Litchfield, Herkimer co., who bought the n.w. quarter, balloted for the lots,
built rude mills, and began small improvements
.9 A part of the settlers left during the war, and
during the succeeding cold seasons of 1816-17 the whole settlement was abandoned. Settlement
Was not recommenced until several years after. The census reports 1 church, (M. E.)

Carthage in 1835, by Patrick Somerville Stewart.

? 2 Presb., 2 Prot. Meth., Bap., M. E., and R. C.

8 Named in honor of Gen. Wm. J. Worth. It comprises No. 2,
or “Fenelon,” of the Boylston Tract. The
e. part was divided
among several proprietors, to equalize the division of the
“ Eleven Towns.”

9 Among the first settlers were Amos and Abyah Gillett,
Nathan Matoon, W. Flower, Lodowyck Edwards, John Gris¬
wold, Asa Sweet, Abner Rising, and Phineas Rose. The first
school was taught in a log barn in 1806. The first death was
that of Elisha Sweet. L. B. Gillett kept the first inn and


Formerly called “ Long Falls.” Incorp. May 26, 1841. A
bridge was erected here in 1813, by Ezra Church, for Russell At¬
water and David Parish.


Erected by Harrison Miller in 1842; now owned and taught
by B. F. Bush.


3'Consisting of iron, leather, lumber, staves, heading, &c.


Joseph Bonaparte, having purchased a large tract of land in


this town and Diana, made this village his residence for two
Bummers. It was laid out in 1818.    .


Jean B. Bossout, familiarly known as “Battice,” kept the first


• The land office of Le Ray was removed from Le Raysville to


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2