KINGS (COUNTY. 369
field Creeks. It is brought 7§ mi. in an open canal and 4f mi. in a brick conduit, thence pumped
into a reservoir on Cypress Hill, 170 ft. above tide, and thence distributed in iron pipes throughout
the city. The conduit has a capacity of 40,000,000 gallons per day, and the pumps can raise
10,000,000 gal. per day. The reservoir is 20 feet deep, and has a capacity of 167,000,000 gab.
The whole cost of the work is estimated at $4,200,0004 The Fire Departments of the Eastern
and Western Districts are separately organized under special acts.2 The city is supplied with gas
by 3 companies.
The City Park, between Park and Flushing Avenues and Nayy and Park Sts., contains 7 acres;
Washington Park, between Myrtle and De Kalb Avenues and Cumberland and Canton Sts., con¬
tains 33 acres. It occupies the site of Fort Green of the Revolution. In the newly surveyed
sections several sites for parks have been reserved by the city.
The City Armory, at the corner of Henry and Cranberry Sts., was erected in 1858, at a cost of
§14,000. A State Arsenal, on Portland Aye. was built in 1856, fit a cost of $40,000.
The City Hall, situated at the junction of Fulton and Court Sts., is a fine building, faced with
white marble.3 Besides these, there are in the city 9 banks of discount, 5 savings’ banks, and 10
stock fire insurance companies.
The Public Schools are under the charge of a board of education, consisting of 45 members.
The city contains 32 school districts; and in 1857 there were employed 320 teachers,—27 males and
293 females.The whole number of children between 4 and 21 years of age is 46,000, of whom
35,817, or 78 per cent., attended school during some portion of the year. The total expenses of
the schools for 1857 was $231,474.61. A normal school for the professional instruction of teachers
has been established. •
The Packer Collegiate Institute, for girls, occupies an elegant building upon Joralemon St., w.
of the City Hall. It was incorp. May 8, 1845, as the “Brooklyn Female Academy.” Its name
was changed March 19, 1853, in honor of Mrs. Wm. S, Packer, who endowed the institution with
$65,000. An astronomical observatory is connected with it.4
The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, for boys, on Livingston St., was incorp. April
7, 1854. It was established by a stock company, with a capital of $75,000, and has accommoda-
tions for 450 pupils. Besides these, there are in the city 100 private schools and seminaries,
several of which are large institutions, with corps of professors and with permanent investments.
The aggregate number of pupils in attendance at the schools is 2,600.
The Brooklyn Institute was incorp. Nov. 20,1824. It occupies a commodious building on Wash¬
ington St., the gift of Augustus Graham. It has a free library, provides free lectures and lessons
in drawing and painting for apprentices, and its rooms are depositories for books, maps, models,
and drawing apparatus.
The Brooklyn Athenaeum and Beading Boom, on the corner of Atlantic and Clinton Sts., was
incorp. Jan. 28, 1852. It occupies a large three stor'y edifice, erected at a cost of $60,000. The
first story is used for mercantile purposes, the second for a library and reading room, and the third
for public lectures.
The Law Library in Brooklyn, incorp. Jan. 8, 1850, is located at 341 Fulton St.
The Naval Lyceum, within the Navy Yard, was established in 1833 by officers of the navy, lt
has a fine library and museum.
The Kings County Lodge Library Association, at Williamsburgh, was incorp. Feb. 7, 1847.
Among the societies for intellectual improvement are the Hamilton Library Association, founded
in 1830; the Franklin Debating Association, in 1852; the Young Men's Association, in 1853; the
St. Charles Institute, in 1854; the Eccleston Literary Association, in 1854; and the Columbia Lite¬
rary Association, in 1855. The Great Northwestern Zephyr Association, designed to encourage
native talent in music, painting, and sculpture, was organized in 1838. The Philharmonic Society
P. Kirkwood, Chief Engineer. Eeb. 11, 1857, the rights Of the
Nassau Company were vested in the city. The works were com¬
pleted in May, 1859. It is contemplated erecting another reser¬
voir upon Prospect Hill.
2 The i’ire Department of the Western District, under the care
of 5 commissioners, has 7 fire districts, 22 engines, 4 hook and
ladder companies, 7 hose companies, and 10 alarm bells. The
Fire Department of the Eastern District has 6 fire districts, 13
engines, 3 hook and ladder companies, 4 hose companies, and
2 alarm bells.
3 This building contains the city and most of the co. oflices
It was commenced in 1836; but work was suspended in 1837i
and was not resumed until 1846. It was completed in 1848, in
a style much less costly than that of the original design.
* See pp. 747, 748.