forma without change; the limestone terraces rise by steep
slopes to their level summit; and the slate and shale hills ex¬
hibit the yielding character of the rocks which compose them,
by their rounded outline and the gorges which every spring
torrent has worn upon their sides.
1 Called by the Indians 0-je'quack, Nut River.
2 Indian name Te-ka'hun-di-anMo, clearing an opening.
3 Indian name-Ne-ha-sahie, crossing on a stick of timber.
4 Indian name Da-ween-net, the otter.
5 Indian name Ga-nelga-toMo, corn pounder.
® The largest of these arises from the limestone in Lowvilie,
near the line of Harrisburgh. Others rise from the slate upon
Tug Hill. All of them emit sulphuretted hydrogen gas, and
some have been used for medicinal purposes.
I The co. seat was located by the same commissioners that
were appointed for Jefferson co. Benj. Van Vleeck, Daniel
Kelly, and Jonathan Collins, by act of 1811, were appointed to
superintend the completion of these buildings. The first co.
officers were Daniel Kelly, First Judge; Jonathan Collins, Judah
Barnes, and Solomon King, Judges; Lewis Graves and Asa
Bray ton, Asst. Justices; Asa Lord, Coroner; Chillus Doty,
Sheriff; Richard Coxe, Cleric; and Isaac W. Bostwick,:Surro¬
Tho Black River & Utica R. R., now finished to Boonville,
will probably be extended through the Black River Valley.
•3 The Black River Gazette was established at Martinsburgh,
March 10, 1807, by James B. Robbins, and was removed
to Watertown the following year. This was the first
paper published in the State N. of Utica.
The Lewis Co. Sentinel was started at Martinsburgh, Oct. 12,
1824, by Charles Nichols, and continued 1 year.
The Martinsburgh Sentinel was commenced in 1828 by -
Pearson, and continued until March, ,1830.
Tlie Liewis County Republican was established at
Martinsburgh, in 1831 or ’32, by James Wheeler, who
sold it to Daniel S. Bailey, its present publisher, in 1837.
It was removed to Lowvilie in 1844, but has since been
returned to Martinsburgh.
The Lewis Co. Gazette w'as started at Lowvilie, in the spring of
1821, by Lewis G. Hoffman, and continued 2 years.
’ The Black. River Gazette was Issued at Lowvilie, Oct. 19,1825,
by Wm. L. Easton. It was sold in 1830 to J. M. Farr, by
whom it was continued a year or more.
The Leim's/ Democrat was started at Lowvilie, March 25,1834, by
Le Grand Byington, and continued 1 year.
Tlie IVortliern Journal was commenced at Lowvilie,
Feb. 14,1838, by A. W, Clark. It has frequently changed
owners, and is now published by Henry A. Phillips.
Tlie Liewis County Banner was started at Lowvilie,
Sept. 3,1856, by N. B. Sylvester, and is now published
by Henry Allgoever.
The Lewis Co. Democrat was commenced Sept. 22,1846, at Turin,
• by H. R. Lahe. It was removed to Martinsburgh in
1849 and discontinued a few weeks after.
Thee Dollar Weekly Northern Blade was started at Constable-
ville in 1854. It was changed to
The News Register in April, 1857, by Merrill & Cook, its pub¬
lishers, and was afterward removed to Carthage.
10 This tract was bought by the Antwerp Company, and em¬
braced an area of 450,950 acres. Seep. 353.
11 This tract was purchased by Pierre Chassanis in 1792, and
was supposed to contain 600,000 acres. Upon a survey being
made, it was found that the tract fell far short of this; and a
new agreement was made, April 2,1793, for 210,000 acres. A
narrow strip of this tract extended along the e. side of the river
to High Falls. The settlers of this tract were principally refrn-
is of the French Revolution. Many of them were wealthy,
titled, and highly educated, and, in consequence, were poorly
fitted for the hardships of pioneer life. Large sums of money
were expended to render the settlement successful, but the
settlers soon after returned to France and the enterprise was
abandoned. Rodolph Tillier was the first agent; and in 1800 he
was superseded by Gouverneur Morris, who appointed Richard
Coxe his agent. The first buildings were erected near the present
residence pf Francis geger.
12 James Watson purchased 61,433 acres, in 2 tracts, connected
by a narrow isthmus. The eastern tract is mostly in Herkimer
13 So called from Thomas H. Brantingham, of the city of Phila¬
delphia, who at one time held the title. It is mostly in Greig,
and contains 74,400 acres.
14 This tract, which is popularly regarded as the whole north¬
ern wilderness of New York, included 210,000 acres sold by Con¬
stable to John Julius Angerstein, and afterward conveyed to
John Brown, of Providence, R, I. It was divided into 8 town¬
ships, as follows:—
It has been said that all these social virtues are needed for
the settlement of this region. The first 4 townships are partly
in Lewis co.
15 Numbers 5,9,10, and 11,—now Denmark, Pinckney, Harris¬
burgh, and Lowvilie.
“6 Named from Thos. Boylston, of Boston, who held the title a
few days. Nos, 3, 4, 8, 9, and 13, now Montague, Osceola, and
parts of Martinsburgh and High Market, are in Lewis co. The
whole tract included 817,155 acres.
17 These towns were Xenophon, Flora, Lucretia, Pomona, and
Porcia, and now'form parts of Lewis, High Market, and Martins¬
burgh and the whole of Turin and West Turin.
"8 Leyden as it existed before Lewis was erected. It included
26,250 acres, forming a perfect triangle.