LEWIS COUNTY. 379
the s. ff, comer of the co. Its general inclination is toward the s. w. Its surface is undulating,
and the highest points are 1500 to 1600 ft. above tide. The streams are branches of Fish Creek
and Salmon River. The soil, is a moderately fertile, sandy loam. Nearly all the town is yet a
wilderness. Osceola is a p.o. in the s. part. Settlement was commenced about 1838, by
Seymour Green, agent for Pierrepont. There are 2 churches in town, M. E. and Ind.
PIYCKJVEY1—was formed from Harrisburgh and “Harrison,” (now Rodman, Jefferson co.,)
Feb. 12, 1808. It lies upon the highlands in the n. w. corner of the co., and has an average eleva¬
tion of 1300 ft. above tide. It forms the watershed between Deer River and Sandy Creek, the
head branches of which constitute the principal streams. A series of swamps extend along the
E. border. In the town are several mineral springs, one of which has acquired considerable local
notoriety for its medicinal qualities. The soil is a light, slaty loam upon the hills, and a deep,
black loam in the valleys. Pmclmey, lew Boston, Barnes Corners, and Cronfes
Corners are p. offices. Settlement was commenced in 1804, under Abel French, agent of Mr.
Henderson.2 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1810. There are now 4 churches in town.3
TUBIST—was formed from Mexico, (Oswego CO.,) March 14, 1800. Martinsburgh was taken
off in 1803, another portion was annexed to Martinsburgh in 1819, and West Turin was taken off
in 1830. It lies upon the w. bank of Black River, s. of the center of the co. Its w. boundary is
860 to 1000 ft. above the river, giving to the town an easterly inclination. The surface is level,
except near the w. border, where it ascends to the slate hills, and in the e., where it descends to the
river intervale. The soil is generally a deep, fertile loam mixed with disintegrated slate and lime¬
stone. Turin, (p.v.,) situated in the s. part, contains 3 churches and several manufactories.4
Pop. 438. Houseville,5 (p. v.,) in the n part, has a pop. of 90. The first settlement was made
about 1797, by Nathaniel Shaler, of Middletown, agent of Wm. Constable and part owner, and the
town was rapidly settled by immigrants from New England.6 The first church (Presb.) was
organized Sept. 19, 1802, by Rev. John Taylor. There are 6 churches in town.
WATS©!8—was formed from Leyden, March 30, 1821. “Brantingham,” (now Greig) was
taken off in 1828, Diana in 1830, a part of Croghan in 1841, and a part off New Bremen in 1848.
It lies upon the e. bank of Black River, and extends from near the center of the co. to its e. border.
Its surface is level or gently rolling in the w. part, but in the central and e. parts it is more hilly and
broken. It is watered by Beaver River, Independence Creek, and several smaller branches of
Black River. The central and e. parts are yet covered with unbroken forests; and a large trad,
upon the extreme e. border constitutes a portion of the far famed “John Brown’s Tract.” In the
recesses of these forests are numerous beautiful lakes that are scarcely known except to hunters.
Chases Lake, on the s. border, is noted for its beautiful scenery and is much visited by tourists.
The soil is light and sandy. Watson,9 (p. o.,) situated on Blaek River, in the w. part of the town,
is a hamlet. The early settlers located along the river, and settlements were not made in the interior
until about 1815.10 The first church (M. E.) was organized in 1820. There are 3 churches and 1
church edifice (M. E.) in town.11
WEST TERIIV—was formed from Turin, March 25,1830. Osceola was taken off in 1844,
Montague in 1850, and High Market and a part of Lewis in 1852. It lies upon the w. bank of
Black River, s. of the center of the co. Its inclination is toward the e., its surface rising by suc¬
cessive terraces from the intervale of Black River to the hills 800 feet above. Its streams are
Sugar River, which flows easterly through near the center of the town, and numerous smaller
creeks and brooks. Lyons Falls, upon Black River, plunge over a ledge of gneiss rock 63 feet in
height, at an angle of about 60°,12 These falls form an excellent water power but little used.
6 Among the early settlers were Enoch Johnson, Z&ccheus
and John Higby, Levi, Elijah, Justus, and Beuben Woolworth,
Thos. Kilham, Ezra Clapp, C. Williston, Eleazar House, Z. Bush,
and W. and G. Shepherd. The first birth was that of Cynthia
Clapp; and the first marriage, that of Levi Collins and Mary
7 3 M. E., 2 Presb., and O. S. Bap.
8 Named from James Watson, of N. Y., former proprietor.
9 Among the first settlers were Eliphalet Edmonds, Isaac and
Jabez Puffer, Jonathan Bishop, David Durfy, Ozem Bush, J.
Beach, and B. Stone.
10 A bridge was built across the river near this place in 1828
It has recently been rebuilt at the joint expense of the State and
u Bap., Seventh Day Bap., and M. E.
is Formerly called “ High Falls." The rock has been but.
slightly worn; but the iron which enters into its composition
By the act organizing this town, Township No. 9, or Handel,
of the Eleven.Towns, was annexed to Lewis co. The town was
named in honor of Charles C. Pinckney, a statesman of S. C.
Among the early settlers were J. Penington, Phineas Wool-
worth, N. E, Moody, Stephen Hart, James Hunt, and Stephen
Armstrong. French was succeeded in 1805 by Jesse Hopkins,
and he by I. W. Bostwick, a few years after. Owing to its great
elevation, the town is liable to deep snows, and, in consequence,
its settlement was retarded until a recent date. Since the in¬
troduction of dairying, it has become an important town for the
production of the staple products of the county,—butter and
The census reports 4 churches in town; 2 M. E., Bap., and
There are 3 gristmills upon Mill Creek, near Turin, and a
woolen factory 1 mi. below the village.