Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 392
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Htibbardsvllle1 (p. v.) 20 houses. East Hamilton (p. o.) is a hamlet, and Soutb Ha*


Ilillton a p. o. The first settlers were John-Wells and Abner Nash, from Mass., and Patrick
Shields and John Muir, from Scotland, but late from Oneida co. They located upon Chenango,
near Earlyille, in 1792.2 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1796.3

LEBANON—was formed from Hamilton, Feb. 6, 1807. It is the central town upon the s.
border of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, lying between the Chenango and Otselic Pavers.
The summits in the w. part are 500 to 800 ft. above the valleys. The valley of Chenango River,
extending through the
e. part, is about 1 mi. wide and is bordered by steep hillsides. The other
streams are small brooks. The soil is a yellow loam underlaid by hardpan upon the hills and
alluvium in the valleys. Lebanon (p. v.) contains 1 church, a sawmill, tannery, and 25 houses.
Smiths Talley4 and Middleport are hamlets. The first settlement was made in 1792,
by Enoch Stowell and Jonathan Bates, from Yt
.5 There are 4 churches in town.8

LENOX—was formed from Sullivan, March 3, 1809, and a part of Stockbridge was taken off
in 1836. It is the
n. e. corner town of the co. Its surface is level in the n. and moderately hilly
in the
s. Canastota and Cowaselon Creeks flow through the town. Oneida Creek forms its e.
boundary, and Oneida Lake a part of its n. boundary. The Cowaselon Swamp occupies a
portion of the
N. part. The soil in the N. is alluvium, and in the s. a gravelly and clayey loam.
In tKe town are beds of gypsum and of red fossiliferous iron ore. Near Cowaselon Creek
is a small sulphur spring; and in the marsh near Canastota is a salt spring
.6 Oneida, (p. v.)
is the principal station between Syracuse and Rome, on the N. Y. Central R. R. It is situated
on Oneida Creek, and was incorp. June 20, 1848. It contains 5 churches, the Oneida Seminary
a newspaper office, and a bank. Pop. 1713. Canastota, (p. v.,) incorp. April 28, 1835, is a
canal village and a station on the N. Y. Central R. R. It contains 3 churches, a newspaper office, a
bank, and a manufactory of astronomieal and optical instruments
.7 Pop. 1081. Wamps ville,
(p. v.,) a station on the N. Y. Central R. R., contains 1 church and 25 houses. Pine Bush,
(Bennetts Corners p. o.,) Merrillsville, (Cowaselon p. o.,) and Lenox Furnace are ham¬
lets. Clock ville,8 (p. v.) contains
2 churches, a woolen factory, 2 flouring mills, and a saw¬
mill. Pop. 279. Quality Mill (Lenox p.o.) is a thickly settled country street near Canastota.
Oneida Lake (p.o.) and South Bay are hamlets. Oneida Talley (p.v.) contains 1
church and about 30 bouses. Durhamville (p.v.) contains 1034 inhabitants, of whom 234
are in this town
;9 the p. office is in Oneida eo. The “Oneida Community,” of about 200 persons,
organized upon a peculiar religious and social basis, are located upon a farm of 390 acres on
Oneida Creek, 3 mi. s. of Oneida
.10 The first settlement was made in 1792, by Conrad Klok and
bis sons Joseph, John, and Conrad
.13 The census reports 14 churches in town.14

MADISON—was formed from Hamilton, Eeb. 6, 1807. It lies on the ,e. border of the co., s.
of# the center. Its surface is a rolling upland. The principal stream is Oriskany Creek. The
Madison Reservoir and several smaller ponds of water are in this town. The soil consists of a
gravelly loam in the valleys and a clayey loam upon the hills. Madison, (p. v.,) incorp. April
17, 1816, contains 4 churches, and has' a population of 315. Bouckville15 (p.v.) contains 1
church and 35 houses, and Solsville (p.v.) 17 houses. The first settlement was made in 1793.18

11 See page 470.

12 This community was organized in 1847, under John H.
Noyes, with whom their peculiar religious and social tenets
mostly originated. They form a general community, holding a
common interest in all things. The relation of the sexes is
placed, not, like that of civilized society, on the basis of law and
constraint, neither on the opposite one of mere freedom, but on
that of “
inspiration.” They are principally, engaged in garden¬
ing, the nursery business, milling, and the manufacture of steel
traps, sewing silk, traveling bags, cravats, and palmleaf hats.
The Circular, a weekly paper, is published by the Communists.

18 The Forbeses, Buyas, and Snyders were the early settlers.

H 5 M.E., 5 Presb., 2 Bap., Cong., and R. C.

16 Named from Gov. Bouck; formerly called “Johnsville.”

16 Samuel and Francis Clemens, Stephen F. Blackstone, John
Niles, Seth Snow and his son Seth, Wm. and David Blair, James
Collister, Daniel Perkins, Henry W. and Israel Bond, Elijah
Biodget, Amos and Jesse Maynard, and Joel Crawford, settled
in the town in 1793; Gen. Erastus Cleveland, Thos. Mellen, Abiel
Hatch, Jas..McClenathan, Geo., Chas., and Job Peckhand, Benj.
Simmonds, Sylvester Woodward, Elijah Thompson, Sam’l Jones,
Jas. and Alex. White, Luther, Abiel, and Ephraim Clough, and
Jonathan Sloan, were also early settlers. The first births in
town were those of Marcena Collister and Stephen Blackstone,
both in 1794. Gen. Cleveland built the first gristmill and kept
the first store. Henry W. Bond built the first sawmill, in 1793.
Sam’l Clemens was an early innkeeper.


Named from Calvin Ilubbard.


Among the other early settlers were Sam’l and Elisha Payne,
who located upon the present site of Hamilton Village in 1794.
Theophilus and Benj. Pierce, Jonathan Olmsted, Daniel Smith,
tend Nathan Poster settled in the town in 1795, and Thomas
Greenly in 1796.


8 The census reports 10 churches in town; 4 M. E., 2 Bap., 2
Cong., Prot. E., and Univ.


Named from Justus Smith, a former resident.


Among the early settlers were John, Charles, James, and
iSaac Campbell, Thos. Hueston. Lent Bradley, Solomon Jones,

Abram Webster, Dan’l Stowell, David Hartson, Rider, Josh.

Smith, Dea. Tinny, David Shapley, Malchiah Hatch, Dr. Merrick,
Elihu Bosworth, Benj. Hewes, and Capt. Moore. Eli sha Wheeler
built the first sawmill, and Daniel Wheeler the first gristmill;
Israel Thayer kept the first store. The first school was taught
by Widow Nancy Campbell, a lady about 70 years of age.


At this spring a boring was once made 196 ft. deep. At that
depth the auger broke, and the work was abandoned. The
strength of the water at the surface was 24° by the instrument
used, aud it was increased to 9°.—
Geol. N. K, III. p. 273.


Established by Chas. A. Spencer. The microscopes and other


Instruments made here have acquired merited celebrity. The


equatorial telescope at Hamilton College was made here.


J® Named from Conrad Klok, who settled near this place.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2