Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 416
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


PAEATII8E—was formed as a district, by the name of “Stone Arabia,” March 24, 1772; its
name was changed March 8, 1773. It was formed as a town March 7, 1778, embracing all the terri¬
tory between “ Little Falls and The Noses,” and extending from the Mohawk to Canada. Salisbury
(Herk. co.) was taken ofi‘ in 1797, Stratford (Ful. co.) in 1805, Oppenheim (Ful. co.) in 1808, Manheim
(Herk. co.) in 1817, and Ephratah (Ful. co.) in 1827. It lies on the
n. bank of the Mohawk, w. of
tlie center of the co. Its surface is mostly an upland, 200 to 500 feet above the valley, broken by
deep, narrow ravines, and descending irregularly toward the river. The principal streams are the
Kau-a-da-rauk,1 in the
e. part of the town, and the Garoga, in the w. The soil is fertile, and well
adapted to grazing.2 Stone Arabia, (p.v.,) near the center of the town, contains about 15
houses, and Palatine Bridge, (p. v.,) on the Mohawk opposite Canajoharie, 40. Palatine
Church, (Palatine p. o.,) on the w. border, is a hamlet. The first settlement was made in town
in 1713, by German Palatinates, who came over in 1710. The larger part of the Stone Arabia Patent
was within the limits of this town.3 Wm. Fox settled near Palatine Church, and Peter Waggoner
a little below, on the Mohawk, in 1715. The early records of the settlement are lost.4 A stockade
called Fort Paris, the ruins of which are still visible, was built at Stone Arabia, and another, called
Fort Keyser, 1 mi.
n. The disastrous engagement resulting in the death of Col. Brown was fought
within this town, between Stone Arabia and the river.5 The Ref. Prot. I), church at Stone Arabia
is one of the oldest in the valley.6 The stone church (Luth.) at Palatine Church was built in 1770.T
The census reports 3 churches in town; 2 Ev. Luth., Ref. Prot. D.

BOOT7—was formed from Canajoharie and Charleston, Jan. 27,1823. It lies upon the s. bank
of the Mohawk, near the center of the co. The hills which border upon the river rise abruptly to
a height of 630 feet,8 and from their summits the country spreads out into an undulating upland.
The high hills just below Sprakers, on opposite banks of the river, are called “The Noses.” The
high ridge near the
e. border is known as “Stone Ridge.” The principal streams are Platte Kil,
and Lashers and Flat Creeks. Mitchells Cave,9 in the vicinity of The Noses, consists of several
apartments, with the roof hung with stalactites. The soil is a fine, gravelly loam. jLeatlier-
ville (Root p.o.) contains 15 houses, and Currytown,10 Sprakers Basin, (p.o.,) Flat
Creek, (p.o.,) and Browns Hollow, about a dozen each. Tatesville is a hamlet
on the canal. The first settlers were Jacob Devendorf, at Currytown, Rudolph Keller, David and
Fred. Lewis, and Jacob Tanner.12 The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed at Currytown.
Rev. Peter Yan Buren became its pastor in 1806.13 The principal incursions into this town during
the war were those made in the summer and fall of 1781. The weight of the first of these, led by
the tory Doxtader, July 9, 1781, fell upon the settlements in and near Currytown.14 In Oct. of the
same year Ross and Butler passed through the town, but committed no depredations, except cap¬
turing part of a funeral procession, and taking a few prisoners at Stone Ridge.

ST. JOHNS VELEE15—was formed from Oppenheim, (Fulton co.,) April 18, 1838. It lies
upon the
n. bank of the Mohawk, in the w. part of the co. Its surface consists of a broad river
intervale and a broken upland gradually rising
n. of it. Its streams are East Canada, Crum, Fox,
Zimmermans, Caldwell, and Mother Creeks. Upon East Canada Creek, 1} mi. from its mouth, are
a succession of falls and rapids descending 75 feet in a distance of 80 rods. The soil is a fine
quality of gravelly loam. St. Jfolmsvslle, (p. v.,) on the Mohawk, was incorp. in 1857. It
contains a woolen factory, and is an important station on the Central R. R. Pop. 648. The
first settlement at the village was made by Jacob Zimmerman, in 1776.16 During the Revolution

u Named from Wm. Curry, the patentee.

12 The first schools were German.  Glaycher taught an

English school at The Noses, in 1784 Albert Vanderworker
kept the first inn, at an early day.

13 The census reports 3 churches in town; Christian, M. E,
Ref. Prot. D.

14 Upon the alarm being given, the settlers hastened to a
picketed blockhouse near the dwelling of Henry Lewis, closely
pursued by the enemy. Every house in the village except 0D9
was set on fire; but the flames were extinguished by the van¬
guard of Col. Willett’s forces, under Capt. Robert Kean. Frede¬
rick, son of Jacob Devendorf, was scalped, but he recovered.
Jacob, jr., another son, was taken prisoner, and was scalped on
the retreat of the Indians. He also recovered, and lived to the
age of 85 years. He died in 1854, one of the wealthiest farmers
in the valley. Mary Miller, a little girl, was scalped and found
alive, but died soon after. Several other prisoners were mur¬
dered. Most of the cattle driven away were abandoned, and
found their way back to the settlement.

is Named from St. John’s Church, built in the village at an
early day.

18 The first settlers of the town came in long prior to this,


Said to signify “ broad.”


More cheese is made in this town than in any other in the
eo. The aggregate is more than 500,000 lbs.


* This purchase extended along East Canada Creek, in the rear
of Hausen’s and Van Slyke’s patents.


The German was the language taught in the first schools.


Robinson taught an English school in 1782, and Alexander


Ewing in 1783. Wm. Fox built a gristmill in 1750, which was


The records of this church commence in 1739, when it had
but 10 members. The present edifice was erected in 1785, and
the church was reorganized in 1790. A Luth. church built at
Stone Arabia in 1770 was burned in 1780.

r The subscriptions for this church were mostly furnished by
the Nellis families, who became tories; and in consequence the
church was not burned. Several shots were fired into it by the
party under Sir John Johnson, one of the shot holes being still

8 Named in honor of Erastus Root, of Delaware co.


® As surveyed by Capt. Thomas Machin.


Named from the former owner of the farm on which the cave


*s situated.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2