ONEIDA COUNTY. 465
LEE1—was formed from "Western, April 3, 1811. A part of Annsville was taken off in 1823.
It lies in the interior, n. of the center of the co. Its surface is rolling or moderately hilly, gradu¬
ally rising from the lowlands in the s. to an elevation of 500 to 800 ft. above the canal at Rome.
The w. branch of the Mohawk flows through the n. e. corner, and Eish Creek forms a part of the
w. boundary. The soil is a clayey, sandy, and gravelly loam, and in some localities very stony.
ILee Center (p. v.) contains a church, saw and grist mill, tannery, and 40 houses. Bee, (p. v.,)
in the s.w. corner, contains a church and 20 houses. Bella, (p.v.,) in the s.e. corner, on the
line of Western, contains a foundery, tannery, and 228 inhabitants. West Branch, (p.v.,)
in the n. e. corner, contains a saw and grist mill and 20 houses. Stokes2 (p. o.) is a hamlet. The
first settlement commenced in 1790, at Delta, by Stephen and Reuben Sheldon.3 The first reli¬
gious society (Cong.) was formed in 1797, under Rev. James Southworth.*
MARCY4—was formed from Deerfield, March 30, 1832. It lies on the n. bank of the Mo¬
hawk, e. of the center of the co. Its surface is rolling; a wide intervale borders upon the river,
from which rises an irregular table-land 300 to 500 ft. above the valley. Nine Mile Creek flows
through the w. corner. The soil on the upland is a rich, sandy and gravelly loam, and on the
flats an alluvial deposit, which is annually increased by the spring floods. Stittsville, (p.v.,)
on the line of Trenton, contains a church, tannery, saw mill, cotton factory, and 40 houses.
Marcy is a p. o. The first settlement commenced in 1793,5 by John Wilson. The census re¬
ports 6 churches in town.6
MARSHA3LB—was formed from Kirkland, Feb. 21, 1829. It lies in the s. part of the co.,
the s. w. corner bordering on Madison co. The surface is a hilly upland, the hills rising 200 to 300 ■
ft. above the valleys. Oriskany Creek flows n. e. through the w. part. '"The soil is a fertile, sandy
loam. Beansville,7 (p. v.,) on the n. border, contains 2 churches, an academy, and 185 in¬
habitants. Hanover, (Marshall p. o.,) near the center, contains a church and 15 houses.
Forge Hollow contains a church, a forge, and 35 houses. The first white settlement was com¬
menced in 1793,8 by David Barton. The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1797.9
NEW HARTFORD—was formed from Whitestown, April 12, 1827. A part of Kirkland
was annexed in 1834. It lies upon the e. border of the co., s. of the center. Its surface is level
or gently undulating, except in the extreme e. part, where is a low range of hills. Saaquoit Creek
flows n. through near the center. The soil is a rich, calcareous loam. Mew Hartford (p.v.)
contains 4 churches, 2 cotton factories, a batting factory,10 a flouring mill, tannery, and 892 in¬
habitants. Washington Mills (p.v.) contains the Washington Steam Mills, and 50 houses.
Mew York Fpper Mills, (New York Mills p. o.,) on the n. border, contains a church, a
cotton factory, dye house, steam mills, and 40 houses. Willow Yale, in the s. part, contains
a factory for making cotton machinery,11 a foundery, the Eagle Mills, and 40 houses. The first
settlement was commenced by Jedediah Sanger, in 1788.12 The first church (Presb.) was formed
in 1791, by Rev. Jonathan Edwards; and the first settled minister was Rev. Danl. Bradley. The
census reports 6 churches in town.13*
BARIS14—was formed from Whitestown, April 10, 1792. Brookfield, Hamilton, and a part of
the arts of civilized life. They were mostly scattered during
the war, hut afterward returned, and many of them became
thrifty farmers; but the greater part acquired the vices of tbe
whites, and a part of them sold out and went to Green Bay. In
1850 the last of the tribe hade adieu to their homes and moved
West. Among the early white settlers were Warren Williams,
Hezekiah Eastman, Capt. Simon Hubbard, and Levi Barker.
The first birth was that of Col. Lester Barker.
10 It was called the Hanover Society; and their edifice, after
standing 40 years, was rebuilt in 1841. There are now 4
churches in town ; 2 Cong., M. E., and Univ.
11 The “ Utica Cotton Mills” have a capital of $100,000, run
8,000 spindles and . 150 looms and employ 190 hands, and turn
out 1,800,000 yds. of cloth annually. They have a dry house,
machine shop, and gas works.
12 This establishment has a capital invested of $40,000, and
employs 80 hands.
73 Among the early settlers were Asahel Beach, Amos Ives,
Solomon Blodget, Salmon Butler, Joel Blair, Agift Hill,-
Wyman, Stephen Bushnell, Oliver Collins, Joseph Jennings,
Joseph Higles, Nathan Seward, John French, —;— Kellogg, -
Risley, Olmstead, Seymour, Butler, Hurlbut,
Kilborn, and -— Montague. Jedediah Sanger built th*
44 Presb., M. E., Prot. E., Bap., Union, and Eriends.
15 Named by the inhabitants in acknowledgment of the kind¬
ness of Isaac Paris, a merchant Of Fort Plain, who, in the year
Named from Lee, Mass., whence some of the early settlers
Sometimes called “ Nisbets Corners, ” and “ Lee Corners.”
Among the early settlers were David Smith, John and Benj.
Spinning, Stephen and Nicholas Salisbury, Nathan Barlow,
Wm. Taft, Dan. and Seth Miller, Frederic Sprague, Hall,
Jas. Young, Chas. Gifford, Elisha Parke, and Potter. The
first birth was that of Fenner Sheldon, in 1791; the first mar¬
riage, that of Dan. Miller and Amy Taft; the first death, that
of Job Kaird, in 1798. David Smith built the first sawmill, at
Delta, and Gen. Floyd the first gristmill, in 1796.
Named from William L. Marcy, since Governor of the State.
James, Thos., Isaac, and Jacob Wilson and Tull were
early settlers. The first death was that of John Wilson, in the
fall of 1793. Camp kept the first inn, about 1810; and
John F. Allen built the first mill, about 1825.
2 Cong., 2 Bap., M. E., and Calv. Meth.
Named from Thos. Dean, long an agent of the Brothertown
The Brothertown Indians were settled previous to the
Revolution on a reservation in this town and Kirkland given
them by the Oneidas. They were remnants of New England,
Hudson River, and Long Island Indians, who were collected
toward the close of the Colonial period, and numbered, when
first removed hither, about 400 souls. Coming from many dif¬
ferent stocks, they adopted the English language and some of