Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 466
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

466    ONEIDA    COUNTY.

Cazenovia, (Madison co.,) Sherburne, (Chenango co.,) and Sangerfield, were taken off in 1795, and
Kirkland in 1827. A part of Kirkland was taken off in 1839. It lies on the
e. border, near tbe
e. corner of the co. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the valley of Sauquoit Creek. The
hills bordering the valley are 200 to 400 ft. high, and their declivities are generally steep. Sau¬
quoit Creek flows
n. through the town, e. of the center. The soil is a sandy, calcareous loam.
East Sauquoit and West Sauquoit; (Sauquoit p. o.,) contiguous villages on opposite sides
of Sauquoit Creek, contain 2 churches, extensive cotton factories,1 2 paper mills in the immediate
vicinity,2 2 sawmills, a gristmill, a tannery, and 690 inhabitants. Clayville, (p. v.,) near the
center, contains 2 churches, 2 furnaces, an agricultural implement'manufactory,3 extensive woolen
mills,4 and 817 inhabitants. Cassville, (p.v.,) near the s. border, contains a church, gristmill,
tub factory, and 40 houses; Paris Hill; (Paris p. o.,) in the
w. part,2 churches and30 houses ;
Holman City, in the
e. part, a furnace, a whiffletree iron manufactory, and 12 houses. The
first settlement commenced in 1789.5 The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1791, by Rev. Jona¬
than Edwards; Rev. Eliphalet Steele was the first pastor. There are now 10 churches in town.6

REMSEN7—was formed from Norway, (Herkimer co.,) March. 15, 1798. A part of Steuben
was annexed in 1809. It is the sr.
e. corner town of the co. Its surface is an elevated upland,
broken by hills and ridges and with a mean elevation of 1,200 to 2,000 ft. above tide. Black River
and its tributaries drain the central and
n. parts; and West Canada Creek forms a small part of
the s.
e. boundary. Otter, Long, and White Lakes are in the n. part. The soil is generally a light,
sandy loam. A large part of the town is still covered by the primitive forests forming a portion
of the great Northern Wilderness. Remsen, (p.v.,) a station on the B. R. & U. R. R., in the
s. w. corner, contains a church, furnace, steam mill, and 510 inhabitants. Forest Port, (p. v.,)
on the line of Boonville, contains 20 houses. Port Woodliull is a hamlet. The first settle¬
ment commenced in 1792, by Barnabas Mitchell.8 There are 12 churches in town.9

ROME—was formed from Steuben, March 4,1796. It lies upon the Mohawk, a little w. of the
center of the co. Its surface is level, and some portion of the w. part is low and marshy. The
Mohawk flows s.
e. through the e. part, and Wood Creek flows w. through the sr. w. part.10 Fish Creek
forms the n. w. boundary. The soil is generally a highly productive, gravelly loam. Rome,
(p. v.,) upon the Mohawk, s.
e. of the center of the town, was incorp. March 26, 1819. It is a half¬
shire of the co., and it contains the co. buildings, 12 churches, 4 hanks, 2 newspaper offices, the
Rome Academy, and several manufactories.11 It is the s. terminus of the W. R. & C. Y. R. R. and
of the Black River Canal, and is an important station upon the Central R. R. and the Erie Canal.
Pop. 7,083. West Rome is a thickly settled suburb just w. of the limits of Rome. Stauwfx,
(p. v.,) a canal village, contains about 15 houses. Greens Corners is a station on the Central
R. R., near the s.w. corner. Ridge Mills, near the center, contains 15 dwellings; and Mortis.
Rome is a hamlet. The first settlement was made at the “ Carrying Place,”12 before the French

of scarcity, 1789, supplied them with Virginia corn on a liberal
credit, and finally accepted payment in such produce as they
were enabled to supply.

1 The “ Quaker Woolen Factory,” established in 1812. In
1827 it commenced the manufacture of cotton, and now em¬
ploys 100 hands, runs 110 looms, and can make 3,000 yards per
day. The same Co. have another mill, that employs 50 hands
and runs 60 looms.

2 These mills employ 30 hands, and make about 14 tons of
printing paper daily.

3 The manufacture of scythes was commenced in 1834. The
business has since been largely increased; and at present about
$200,000 is invested in the works. Scythes, hoes, forks, and
other farming tools are extensively manufactured.

* The woolen mills were started in 1845. They manufacture
broadcloths and blankets, and employ 150 hands.

5 The first settlement was made by Capt. Rice. Among the
eariy settlers were Benj’n Barnes and his son Benjamin, John
Humarton, Stephen Barnet, Aaron Adams, Abiel Simmons,
Phineas Kellogg, John and Sylvester Butler, Asa Shepard,
Kirkland Griffin, and Benjamin Merrill. The first death was
that of Wm. Swan, in 1790. Abner Bacon kept the first inn,
and James Orton the first store, in 1802.

0 2 M. E., 2 Prot. E., 2 Cong., Bap., and Presb.

7 Named from Henry Remsen, Patentee of Remsenburgh,
Tho town embraces most of Remsenburgh Patent, and portions
of Easton’s Woodhull’s, Servis’s and other tracts.

3 Among the early settlers were John Bomer, Nath’l Rock-
wood, Bettis Le Clerc, Perez Earr, and Jonah Dayton, in 1793.
In 1808, David Mound, John Gas, Griffith I. Jones, John Owens,
and Hugh Hughes, Welsh immigrants, settled, and were soon
followed by a large immigration of their countrymen. This
town contains more natives of Wales than any other town in
the State; and, including their children of American birth, the
Welsh number more than half the population. The first birth
was that of Polly Mitchell; and the first death, that of Capt.
Peck. Broughton White kept the first store, in 1803.

9 5 Calv. Meth., 3 Cong., 2 M. E., and 2 Bap.

10 Between the Mohawk and Wood Creek was a portage of about
1 ml. in length over level ground. Early in the last century
propositions were made to bnild a road across this point; and in
1796 the Western Inland Navigation Co. constructed a canal
between the two streams, and the route speedily became the
great thoroughfare of travel. This canal was most of the way
on the line of the present Erie Canal, through the village. The
Indians called the place De-o-wain-sta, “a carrying place for
canoes.” Wood Creek was called Ka-ne-go-dick. The old canal
was constructed under the superintendence of Peter Colt.

u The principal manufactories are a plow factory, foundery,
planing mill, several sawmills, and the repair shops of the W. B.
& C. V. R. R;

12 The firs't settlers came in at an early period, but their names

are unknown. John Roof and Brodock were engaged in

the carrying trade at this place in 1760. The former was first
store and inn keeper. Jedediah Phelps, John Barnard, George
and Henry Huntington, Joshua Hathaway, Dr. Stephen White,
Roswell Fellows, Matthew Brown, sen. and jun., Seth Ranney,
David Brown, Ebenezer, Daniel W., and Thomas Wright, Thomas
Selden, Solomon and John Williams, Peter Colt, Wm. Colbrath,
Abijah and Clark Putnam, Caleb Reynolds, Rufus Easton, Thos.
Gilbert, Moses Fish, Stephen Lampman, Jeremiah Steves, and
John Niles were early settlers.—
Jones’s Annals,p. 372. The first
birth was in the family of John Roof, Aug. 28, 1769. The first
sawmill was erected in 1758, and the first gristmill in 1795. A
State Arsenal was erected here in 1808, on the present site of St.
Peter’s Church. The U. S. erected an arsenal and workshop a


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2