Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 488
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


SYRACUSE1—was incorp. as a village in the town of Salina,
April 13, 1825, and as a city, Dec. 14, 1847. A portion was
annexed to DeWitt in 1858. It lies in a basin extending s. of
the head of Onondaga Lake, and upon the ridges immediately
A low portion, partly marshy, containing more than a square
mi., lies upon the lake,2 and is bordered by an abrupt declivity
10 to 30 ft. high. From the summit of this declivity the surface
spreads out into an almost perfect flat, on which is built the
greater part of the more thickly settled portions of the*city. A
ridge 100 to 200 ft. high extends through the
e. part.3 Upon
the highlands that surround the city are some of the most beau¬
tiful sites for country residences to be found in the State. The
city is located in the midst of a rich agricultural region, and near the center of the State.4 The
several canals and railroads that terminate at or pass through this city give to it important com¬
mercial advantages. Its local trade is very large. It is also largely engaged in manufactures,
the principal of which are salt,4 machinery, beer, and barrels.5 A large trade is carried on with
the surrounding    country    to    supply the salt works with wood and barrels, and with Penn, to furnish


them with    coal.    The city    is supplied with water by the Syracuse Water Company, from springs

and brooks which have their sources in the hills s. w. of the city.

The City Hall is a commodious edifice, on the s. side of the canal, fronting Washington St., and
containing rooms for the officers of the city government.

The Public Schools, 13 in number, are under the charge of a Board of Education, consisting of
8 members, of whom 4 are elected annually. In 1858, 61 teachers were employed,—7 males and 54
females. The whole number of children, between the ages of 4 and 21, was 9,418, of whom 5,258,
or 55 per cent., attended school during some portion of the year. The total expenses were
$34,057.69. The number of volumes in the district libraries was 5,131.7 The schools are graded,
and have a classical department or High School. Few places have bestowed more attention upon
common school education; and the schools now rank among the best in the State and country.

The Onondaga County Orphan Asylum, a city and county institution for the care of orphan and
destitute children, is situated upon Fayette St., in the
e. part of the city. It was incorp. April 10,
1845, and is supported by public appropriations and private donations. The children are well
treated, and are amply provided with all the necessaries of life. A school is taught throughout the
year. At a proper age the children are bound out in respectable families.

The Syracuse Home Association, incorp. in 1853, is an association of ladies for the purpose of
systematically visiting the poor, and of furnishing a home for indigent and friendless females. It
occupies a fine building upon E. Fayette St., and is in a flourishing condition.

The New York State Asylum for Idiots is located upon a beautiful site in Geddes, s. w. of the
city, just outside of the city corporation. Its grounds contain 18 acres, lying upon an eminence
overlooking the whole city. The building is a beautiful brick structure, in the Italian style of
architecture, and is one of the best arranged and most convenient buildings of the kind ever con¬
structed. It is under the superintendence of Dr. Hervey B. Wilbur. The average number of
inmates is more than 100.8

6 Several founderies and machine shops give employment to
about 200 hands. Greenway’s Brewery manufactures annually

50,000 bbls. of beer, worth $350,000. There are 8 other brew¬
eries in the city, producing 500 to 5,000 bbls. each. Barrels for
the salt trade are also manufactured in the city, giving em¬
ployment to a large number of hands. The Central R. R. re¬
pair shops employ 150 hands, and about 150 more are engaged
as engineers, brakemen, and track hands, belonging to this
station. The city also contains large manufactories of agricul¬
tural implements, hoots and shoes, furniture, saddlery hard¬
ware, silver ware, cigars, and a variety of other articles.

7 The Central Library, kept in the City Hall, is a consolidated
library for the use of the central schools of the city. It was
founded in 1858, and contains 4,000 volumes.

3 The building for this institution was erected in 1853-04, at
a cost of about $70,000. The site and grounds were donated by
inhabitants of Syracuse. The enterprise has been highly suc¬
cessful, and has fully demonstrated the utility and necessity of
schools of this description. The institution has attained a wide
reputation, and it now undoubtedly ranks among the first of
the kind in the world. The school was first established at Al¬
bany, in 1848, by its present supt., as a private institution. It
was adopted by the State, and was continued several years at
Albany, but was removed to this place on completion of the
buildings, in 1854.


This city was known from 1806 to 1809 as “ Bogardus Cor¬
from 1809 to 1812, as “Milan;” from 1812 to 1814, as
“South Salina;” from 1814 to 1817, as “ Cossitts Corners;” from
1817 to 1820, as “
Corinth;” and from that time it has been
known as Syracuse,—the name given it by John Wilkinson,
the first postmaster. “
Salim,” now constituting the N. part
of the city, was incorp. as a village March 12, 1824, and con¬
tinued as an independent corporation until 1847, when it was
merged in Syracuse. It was long familiarly known as
The eastern part of the city was formerly known as


The salt springs are situated upon this marsh and its bor¬
ders. Near the lake, upon the Liverpool road, is a very strong
sulphur spring.


This ridge is divided into two parts by the valley through
which the canal extends. Upon it, a short distance e. of the
head of the lake, are large cavities in the ground, generally
termed “salt holes.” These holes are continually forming; and
it not unfrequently happens that a tract of 20 ft. in diameter
will suddenly fall to a depth of 10 to 30 ft. See p. 481.


sometimes “ The City of isms.” It is also called “ The Central
City,” ana “ The City of Salt.”




This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2