ham, John Strickland, John Ogden, John Karman, John Law¬
rence, and Jonas Wood; those in the second patent were John
Hicks, J.iP., Capt. John Seaman, Richard Gildersleeve, Robert
Jackson, John Karman, John Smith, sr. and jr.; and those in
the third were Capt. John Seaman, Simon Searing, John Jackson,
James Pine, sr., Richard Gildersleeve, sr., and Nath’l Pearsall.
—Thompson’s-Hist. L.I., II, 14; Patents, IV, 55, V, 182; Sec. Office.
1 The co. seal presents a view of sea and shore from this
beach. The name is of Indian origin. This point was formerly
inclosed hy a fence from Hempstead to Jamaica Bays, and was
used for pasturing cattle, horses, and sheep.
2 This plain is 15 mi. long and 4 broad. When first known to
the Europeans, it was destitute of timber and covered with grass.
The annual burning of this grass was prohibited by statute in
1726. It is mostly uninclosed, aud used as pasture.
3 About 16,000 acres of the plain and the salt meadows are
commoh property. The time for cutting the hay is fixed at the
annual town meetings, and the first one on the ground has the
choice of location. This leads the farmers to the meadows at an
early hour on the appointed day, and sometimes during the night
previous, where they stand scythe in hand, ready at the first
glance of sunrise to strike into the grass before them and mow
around as large a piece as they may be able. Several hundred
men are often thus employed. Each inhabitant may hire as many
laborers as he chooses, and may cut for sale. North Hempstead
formerly enjoyed the right of cutting grass upon these meadows,
but has been practically deprived of-it for many years. See
4 This is a private seminary, owned by a joint stock company.
6 On old documents variously spelled “Meric,” “Moroke,” and
“Merikohe.” The name was derived from a tribe of Indians that
lived in the vicinity.
6 First settled by 'Edward Raynor, and formerly known as
7 This place contains the Pavilion,—an immense hotel,—and
several large summer boarding houses.
8 Among the early settlers were Rev. Richard Denton, Jonas
Wood, Wm. Raynor, Robert Coe, Richard Gildersleeve, Robert
Jackson, John Ogden, John Karman, Capt. John Underhill,
Andrew Ward, Thurston and Robt. Raynor, Matthew Mitchell,
and Robert Fordham. In 1647 the first eight, with Robt. Ash¬
man, Jeremy, Edmund, and Terry Wood, Benj. and John Coe,
Sam’l Strickland, John Topping, John Fordham, Wm. and John
Lawrence, Henry Hudson, Thomas Ireland, Richard Valentine,
Wm. Thickstone, Nicholas Tanner, Wm., John, sr. and jr., Jas.,
and Alvin Smith, Richard, jr., Sam’l, Dan’l, and Nath’l Denton,
Thos. Armitage, Simon Searing, Thomas Wilson, Henry Pierson,
Jos. and Wm. Scott, Henry Whiston, Richard and John Lewis,
Thos. Stevenson, John Storge, John and Robert Williams, Win.
Rogers, Richard Ogden, John Foucks, Wm. Washburne, Thos.
Sherman, Francis Yates, John Ellison, Wm. Shadding, Thomas
and Chas. Foster, Roger Lines, Sam’l Clark, John Hudd, Thos.
Pope, Daniel Whitehead, Edward Raynor, John Smith, Samuel
Baccus, and John Strickland were freeholders, and shared in the
division of the lands. A part of the above locations are now
included' in North Hempstead. The first, child born of white
parents in town was Caleb Karman, son of John Karman, Jau.
9,1645. An order was made at their General Court, Sept. 16,
1650, requiring all persons to “ repaire to the publique Meetings
and Assemblies on the Lords dayes, and on publique dayes of
fastings and thanksgivings, appointed by publique authority,
bothe on the forenoons and afternoons,” under a penalty of 5
guilders for the first, 10 for the second, and 20 for the third of¬
fense. The Rev. Richard Denton, a prominent founder, was their
first pastor. He returned to England in 1659. His eldest son,
Daniel Denton, wrote the first historical account of New York
ever published. It was printed in London in 1670.
9 10 M. E., 3 Prot. E., 2 Presb., 2 R. C., and one Friends. Near
the M. E. Church in South Hempstead is a monument, erected to
the memory of 139 English and Irish immigrants who peri,shed
on the ships Bristol and Mexico, wrecked Nov. 21,1836, and
10 It was first proposed to name this place “Canerasset.” Many
ef the first settlers preferred the name of “Crawford,;” and tha
Dutch named it “ Rusdorp,” signifying “ countytown.” Tha
present name is by some considered as from the Indian “Jameco.”
11 The first patent of confirmation contained the names of
Daniel Denton, J. P., Robt. Coe, Capt. Bryan Newton, Wm. Hal-
let, Andrew Messenger, and Nathaniel Denton; and the second
named 24 persons.—Patents, I, 66, 91, Y, 432; See. Office.