Barker, and Ilowletts Points, and Plum Beach.1 The soil upon the plains is light and sandy,
and in the n. part a sandy and clayey Ipam, very productive. The town poor are supported by
tlie Jones Fund,2 at an institution situated at Brookville, in the town of Oyster Bay; and 2 trus¬
tees are annually elected to the board having this fund in charge. Manlaassetj2 (p.v.,) near
the center, a straggling village, contains 4 churches. The neck of land extending eastward of
Manhasset Bay is called Manhasset.3 Boslyn, (p.v.,) at the head of Hempstead Harbor, 2 mi.
above the steamboat landing, contains 2 churches and several manufactories.4 Pop. 592. Sortll
Hempstead (p.o.) is 2 mi. e. of the courthouse; Mineola (p.v.) is a scattered villag
at the junction of the L. I. & Hempstead Branch R.'Roads; Flower Hill is a farming neigh
borhood near the center of Manhasset Neck; Montrose, a village plat near the country seat
of Wm. C. Bryant. Westbury6 is a farming neighborhood, extending from near the courthouse
to the e. line of the town. Carl Place, near Westbury, and Clowesvifle, near Mineola, are
village plats. Hyde Park,7 near the r. r., Fakeville,5 near the line of Flushing, and
Farmers Village, on the edge of the plains, are farming localities. Port Washington
(p. o.) is a small village on the w. side of Manhasset Bay. The first settlement was made in the
spring of 1640, by a small company of English immigrants from Lynn, Mass., under the lead
of Capt. Daniel Howe, who took possession of the head of Cow Bay, under the authority of Farrett,
agent of the Earl of Stirling. The Dutch sent a party of soldiers, who captured several of the in¬
truders ; but they were released upon promising to quit the place. These persons afterward made the
first settlement at Southampton. The necks of land of this town were first used for pasturage in com¬
mons. During the Revolution marauding parties committed various depredations upon the people
of this town, rendering both property and life insecure. The census reports 9 churches in town.9
OYSTER BAY10—was patented by Gov. Nicoll, Nov. 29, 1667, and confirmed by Gov.
Andross, Sept. 29, 1677.6 It was recognized as a town March 7, 1788. It occupies the e. ex¬
tremity of the co., and extends across the island from the sound to the ocean. The n. shore is
deeply indented by irregular bays, the principal of which are Oyster Bay, Cold Spring, and Oyster
Bay Harbors, Mill Neck Creek, and Mosquito Cove. Cove Neck, Center Island,7 and Mosquito
Neck are long peninsulas formed by these bays;8 Lloyds Neck is a peninsula extending e. of Cold
Spring Harbor. The great indentation of South Oyster Bay, separated from the ocean by Jones
Beach, forms the s. boundary. This bay is bordered by salt meadows, and incloses several marshy
islands belonging to the town. A range of hills extends through the n. part; and the remainder
of the surface is level. The soil is a sandy and clayey loam, and with proper care is very pro¬
ductive. The town poor are supported by the Jones Fund.14 Oyster Bay, (p.v.,) on Oyster
Bay Harbor, contains 6 churches and 900 inhabitants;15 Glen Cove,16 (p. v.,) near Hempstead
Harbor, in the n. w. part, contains 3 churches, a printing office, fire insurance office, and a large
starch factory.17 South Oyster Bay (p.o.) is a scattered village on the s. shore. Farm-
ingdaie (p.o.) is a hamlet and r. r. station near the e. line; Hicksville18 (p.o.) is a r. r.
station near the w. line. Syosset19 (p. o.) is the present terminus of a r. r. extending n. e. from
u Henry Townsend, sr., Nicholas and Gideon Wright, Richard
Harrison, Joseph Carpenter, and Josiah Latting were named in
both patents.—Patents, I, 104,162; Sec. Office.
12 Formerly called “Hog Island.” It is connected with the
main island by a beach, includes 600 acres of excellent soil, and
has a brickyard, with steam power, that makes 3,000,000 bricks
73 The principal capes or points upon the n. shore are Olivers,
Sopers, Moses, Plum, Center Island. Old Neck, Fox Island, Pea¬
cock, MatineCock, and Red Spring Points.
14 In 1S36. Sam’l Jones gave $30,000—known as the “ Jones
Fund”—for the snpportof the poor of this town and North Hemp¬
stead; and if the income of this fund was more than sufficient for
this purpose, the overplus was to belong toFlushiug. A farm was
purchased at Brookville, upon which suitable buildings have
been erected for the support of the poor. Walter B. Jones, the
distinguished financier, also a citizen of this town, gave $5,000
more for the same purpose. The fund is managed by 3 trustees,
chosen by this town, and 2 by North Hempstead. The institu¬
tion is known as the “Jones Institute;” and it supports 60 to 70
indigent persons annually.
15 P. O. changed to “Syosset” Jan. 20,1846, and old name re¬
stored one week after. Jas. Colwell, appointed P. M. by Jeffer¬
son, held the office till his death, in 1854, when his granddaughter
was appointed. 16 Formerly called “Mosquito Cove.”
17 Glen Cove Starch Manufac’g Com., under the supervision of
Messrs. Duryea. Incorp. Nov. 13,1855; capital, $100,000. Pro¬
duces 20 tons per day. Works destroyed by fire Feb. 9,1858; rebuilt
same year, covering over 2 acres, and capital increased to $200,000.
13 Named from Elias Hicks, the Quaker reformer.
is Formerly known as “East Woods.”
A lighthouse has been erected upon Sands Point, and a life¬
boat station is maintained here.
Formerly called “Hempstead Harbor.” Harbor Hill, in the
rear of the village, is 319 feet high. The first paper mill in the
The people in this vicinity are chiefly employed in furnishing
milk for the New York market.
3 Formerly called “Success.” from Success Pond in the vicinity.
The name was changed to Lakeville in 1835. The towns of
Flushing and Hempstead gave 618 acres, between the lake and
Hyde Park, to Gov. Dongan, who had a country residence here.
of the supervisor. The South Meadows are sold annually" at
auction, for about $1,200. Townsmen only have the right of fish¬
ing and oystering in the waters of the town.