558 RENSSELAER COUNTY.
selaer Mills,” contains 40 houses, and Petersburg!! Four Corners (p. -v.) 12. The first
settlers were Dutch, who came in about 1750, as tenants under Yan Rensselaer.1 A few years later,
many families came in from Rhode Island. The census reports 3 churches.2
PITTSTOWJV—was erected as a township by patent, July 23, 1761, and was formed as a
town, March 7, 1788. Its boundary was changed Feb. 14, 1793. It lies in the center of the n.
part of the co. Its surface is mountainous in the s. and e. and declines into a moderately hilly
region in the N. The highest summits, in the s. e., are 800 to 1,000 feet above tide. The soil is
principally a gravelly and slaty loam. Flax is extensively cultivated,3 and there are several
manufactories in town.2 Jobusonville (p. v.) contains 35 houses, Tomhannock (p*. v.) 40,
Kaymertown (p. v.) 27, Pittstown Corners (Pittstown p. o.) 22, Boynton 20,
Pittstown Station (Yalley Falls p. o.) 16, North Pittstown 20, and Cooksborongh
(Haynerville p. o.) 10. Shermans Mills is a hamlet. Settlement was commenced about
1650.3 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1784; Elder Isaac Webb was the first preacher.6
POESTENKIEE4—named from its principal stream—was formed from Sand Lake, March 2,
1848. It lies near the center of the co., upon the western declivities of the Petersburgh Mts. The
central and e. portions are rugged, rocky, and mountainous, and the soil is cold, sterile, and unpro¬
ductive. The w. part is hilly, with a gravelly loam well adapted to pasturage. Snake Hill, near
the center, is one of the principal elevations. Upon the Poesten Kil is a fall of about 80 feet.
One mi. w. of the falls is a medicinal spring, with a local celebrity for the cure of eruptions and
cutaneous diseases.8 Poesteublll (p.v.) contains 300 inhabitants, East Poestenlilll
(p.o.) 10 houses, and Barherville 16. A union academy was formed in this town in 1854,
but it is not under the regents. The census reports 4 churches.®
SAND LAKE—was formed from Greenbush and Berlin, June 19,1812. A part of Greenbush
was taken off in 1843, and Poestenkill in 1848. It lies a little s. of the center of the co. Its sur¬
face is mountainous in the e. and hilly in the w. Perigo Hill, in the n. e. corner, is 900 feet
above tide, and Oak Hill, near the center, is but little less in height. The e. part of the town is mostly
covered with forest.10 Wynants Kil, flowing n. w. through the center, and Tsatsawassa Creek, in
the e., are the principal streams. Along the valleys of these streams are several fine lakes, the
principal of which are Sand, Glass, and Crooked Lakes, and Big Bowmans Pond. The soil among
the mountains is a hard, sterile clay, but in the w. it is a good quality of gravelly loam. Three -
fourths of a mi. e. of W. Sand Lake is a chalybeate spring. Large quantities of cordwood,
charcoal, and tan bark are carried to the Troy and Albany markets. Sand Lake (p. v.) con¬
tains the Sand Lake Seminary, a boarding school,11 foundery, cotton warp factory, 2 knitting mills,
and 300 inhabitants. West Sand Lake12 (p.v.) contains 300 inhabitants, Sitters Cor»
ners 106, and Glass House 200,13 Soutli Sand Lake is a p. o. Settlement commenced
before the Revolution.14 The census reports 7 churches in town.15
SCHAGHTICOKE16—was formed as a district, March 24, 1772, and as a town, March 7,
1788. Pittstown was taken off, March 7, 1788, and a part of Lansingburgh in 1819. It lies on
the Hudson, in the N. w. corner of the co. The surface is principally a rolling upland, about 200
feet above the river. The summits of the hills in the s. are 800 feet above tide. Hoosick River,
6 The census reports 15 churches; 6 M. E., 3 Presb., 2 Christian,
Bap., Ev. Luth., Friends, Union.
1 Pronounced “ Poos-ten-kill.” It is a Dutch word, signifying
“ puffing or foaming creek.”
8 A bathing establishment erected here was swept away by
a freshet. 9 Bap., F. W. Bap., Disciple, and Ev. Luth.
10 This town is a favorite resort of hunting and fishing parties.
11 The Sand Lake Collegiate Institute, established 1855 by Wm.
H. Schram. The village also contains 1 paper and 1 flouring mill.
12 Formerly called “Ulinesville,” from Bernard Uline. It con-
ains also a sawmill, 2 flouring mills, and 2 woolen factories.
13 This village was formerly the seat of an extensive glass fac¬
tory, and was called “ Mensselaer Village.” The company was
organized in 1805, incorp. in 1806, and discontinued in 1852. In
1813 100 men'were employed by the co.
w Among the early settlers were Abram Frere, Nicholas Fel¬
lows, Andreas Barent, Fred. Shaver, Abram Bristol, Eph. Quin by,
John Carmichael, Andreas Weatherwax, and Stephen Miller.
Joshua Lockwood and Wm. Carpenter built the first grist mill
in 1768, at W. Sand Lake.
1* 2 M. E., 2 Ev. Luth., Ger. Meth., Bap., Presb.
18 Pron. “ Skat-i-kook.” In old documents it is variously
spelled “ Schetekoke,” “ Schactekoke,” “ Scahwahook,” and
“ Schagcogue.” It is said to be an Algonquin word, signifying
“ landslide.” The Stockbridge Indians called it “ Pah-ha-koke.”
Among the early settlers were Wm. Prendergast, John
Brimmer, Jacob and Godfrey Brimmer, John Spencer, Hans and
Peter Bachus, Johannes Buyter, Henry Litcher, Hans Lautman,
Barent Hogg, Jacob Best, Petrus Vosburg, Bastian Deel, Frans.
Burn, Juriah Kreiger, Henry Young, Schoolmaster Watson, and
Long Andries. John Spencer built a log gristmill before the
Devolution, at S. Petersburgh; and Barber & Murray built a
carding mill about 1800. Several of the settlers were killed or
taken prisoners during the French War,—probably by the same
party that destroyed the Hoosick settlements in 1754.
* There are two manufactories of cotton bags at Shermans
Mills, a paper mill at Valley Falls, and manufactories of cordage
and axes at Johnsonville.
Valley Falls, in 1772; and Christian Fisher and Michael Vander-