Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 603
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


BEEAHEIM1—was formed from Schoharie, March 17, 1797. Jefferson was taken off in 1803,
and a part of Gilboa in 1848. It is an interior town, lying s. w. of the center of the co. Its surface is a
hilly upland, broken by the deep ravines of the streams. Schoharie Creek flows n. through the e. part,
receiving West Kil and several smaller streams from the w. A wide alluvial flat extends along its
course. The streams generally are bordered by steep hills rising to a height of 300 to 500 ft.
The soil is principally a clayey loam. Palclim Hollow,2 (North Blenheim p.o.,) upon
Schoharie Creek, contains 2 churches, a tannery, and 44 houses. The first settlements were made
by Butch and Palatinates, before 1761; but the settlers were driven out during the Revolution.
The present race of settlers came mostly from New England, soon after the close of the war.
Rev. Stephen Fenn was the first preacher.3


BROOME4—was formed March 17, 1797, as “Bristol.” Its name was changed April 6,
1808. A part of Conesville was taken off in 1836, a part of Gilboa in 1848, and parts of Middle-
burgh were annexed Feb. 9 and Oct. 5, 1849. It lies upon the e. border of the co., s. of the
center. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep ravines of the streams. The highest
summits are 350 to 500 ft. above the valleys. Catskiil Creek takes its rise in the n. part, and
several branches of Schoharie Creek drain the sr. and w. portions.5 The soil is a gravelly and
clayey loam. Etvlngstonville, (p.v.,) in the e. part, s. of the center, contains 2 churches,
a sawmill, gristmill, and sash factory. Pop. 150.6 EranKlmton, (p. v.,) in the sr. part, con¬

tains a church and 100 inhabitants. Smitllton is a hamlet, near the s. line,
ments were made before the Revolution.7 There are 6 churches in town.8

The first settle-

CAREISEE—was formed from Cobleskill and Sharon, March 31, 1807.9 It is the central
town upon the sr. border of the co. Its surface consists principally of an immense ridge lying
between the valleys of the Mohawk and Cobles Kil, the summit of which is 800 to 1,000 ft. above
the former stream.10 This ridge descends to the sr. by a series of terraces formed by the different
geological strata, and on the s. by gradual slopes following the general dip of the rocks. The
streams are small brooks. The soil is principally a clay loam. Hops are extensively cultivated.

Tlie Schoharie Hepnhlicau. It soon after passed
into the hands of Peter Keyser. Lemuel Cuthbert, A.

A. Keyser, Wm. H. Underwood, Wm. H. Gallup, P. D.

Lawyer, and  R'ossiter have since been interested

in its publication. It is now published by J. B. Hall.

The Observer was commenced at Schoharie in Oct. 1818. In

1819 it passed into' the hands of Solomon Baker, in

1820 to Baker & Fish, and in 1822 it was again in the.
hands of Mr. Baker, and was soon after discontinued.

The Evangelical Luminary was commenced at Schoharie Jan. 1,
1824, hy Rev. Geo. A. Lintner and L. Cuthbert. It was
continued about 1 year.

The Lutheran Magazine, mo., was commenced in Feb. 1827, hy
the Western Conference of Lutheran Ministers, L.
Cuthbert, printer, and was published for some years.

The Schoharie Free Press was commenced June 9,1830, hy Dun¬
can McDonald. In 1832 it was removed to Esperance
and its name changed to

The Esperance Sentinel and Schoharie and Montgomery Reporter.
It was discontinued in 1835 or ’36.

The Gem was published a short time in 1837.

The Schoharie Patriot was commenced Feb. 13,1838,
by Peter Mix. It is now published by him and his
son, S. H. Mix.

The Star was commenced in April, 1838, hy S. FI. Mix, then a

The Sun was commenced as an opposition paper in May, 1838, by
D. L. Underwood", another lad of about the same age.
These papers were about 3 hy 4 inches. Early in 1839
they were enlarged. On the issue of No. 5 of the Sun
it went down never to rise again; and the Star ceased
to twinkle after the 12th number.

Che Huge Paw, a campaign paper, was published from Aug. 12
1840, to Nov. 11 following, hy Wm. H. Gallup.

'Hie Helderbergh Advocate was commenced in 1841 by Wm. H.
Gallup. Its name was changed in 1843 to

The Guardian of the Soil, and it was discontinued in 1 year.

The American Christian was commenced at Leesville Jan. 7,
1847, by J. D. Lawyer. It was soon after discontinued.

The Schoharie County Sentinel was commenced at Cobleskill
Jan. 22,1852, by Hiram C. Page. It was published a
short time by Chas. Cleveland, and hy Wadhams &
Knistern, and was soon after purchased by J. B. Hall,
who merged it with the Schoharie Republican.

The Charlotteville Journal was commenced at Charlotteville in
1854 by Furman & Brown. In 1855 John Brown became
sole proprietor, and removed it to Cobleskill and
changed the name to

The Cobleskill Journal. It has since been discontinued.

The Oasis, semi-mo., was commenced at Schoharie by the
students of the academy in 1855. It was soon discon¬

The Schoharie County Jeffersonian, was com¬
menced at Cobleskill in 1859 hy Matthew Freeman,
and is still published.

1 Named from the Blenheim Patent, a portion of which lies in
the N. part of this town.

2 Hendrick Mattice, the pioneer, built a mill on West Kil, at
Patchin Hollow. He became a loyalist and went to Canada.
Henry Effner, Lambert Sternberg, Wm. Freeck, Isaac Smith,
Banks Morehouse, George Martin, and Henry Hager were early
settlers. Freegift .Patchin settled in 1798, built the second mill,
and gave name to the village. Gen. Patchin had been taken
prisoner hy the Indians, and suffered extremely at their hands.
The first inn was kept hy H. Effner; the first store, by Tobias
Cuyler, in i803; and the first tannery was built in 1825, by-
& Lathrop. Jacob Sutherland, afterward Judge of the
U. S. Supreme Court, resided several years at North Blenheim.

8 There are 4 churches in town; 3 M. E., and Ref. Prot. D.

* Named from John Broome, Lieut. Gov. of the State at the
time of the formation of the town. Scott’s Patent of 37,840
acres, granted Jan. 2, 1770, and a part of Isaac Le Roy’s Patent,
are within the limits of this town.

5 On the summit level of the CatskiU k Canajoharie R. R.
line, between two immense hills, was a “vlaie,” or black ash
swamp, from which streams issued in opposite directions. It
was about a mile long and covered many acres. Dams were
formerly erected and mills built at each end; and fish
placed in the pond thus formed multiplied greatly. It is now

8 Daniel Shays, the leader* of the insurrection in Mass. that
hears his name, settled in this town after the dispersion of his
forces. David Williams, one of the captors of Andre, removed
to this village from South Salem in 1805, bought a farm of Gen,
Shays, and resided upon it until his death, Aug. 2, 1831. He
left a widow, 4 sons, and 8 daughters. He was the object of
much regard, from the interesting historical event with which
his name is associated; and the year before his death he became
the guest of New York City.—
Simms's Schoharie, chap.xxi.

7 Derick Van Dyck settled before the Revolution. John Rob

bins, Guillem, a half-breed, Allen Leet, Joshua and Asa

Bushnell, Geo. and Hezekiah Watson, Ebenezer Wickham, Geo.
Burtwick, Timothy Kelsey, Joseph Gillet, and Ezra Chapman
settled previous to 1796. The first .known birth was that of
Francis Kelsey, in April, 1794; and the first death, that of Ezra
Chapman, Aug. 1794. Griswold, Carden
& Wells began the
erection of a sawmill in 1794, and a gristmill the next season.

8 3 M. E., Meth. Prot., Bap., and Presb.

9 This town embraces portions of New Doriaeh, Becker,
Livingston’s, Van Rensselaer’s, Machin’s, and the Stone Heap
Patents.    *

10 A conical elevation near the S. line, early known as O-waero-
souere, is one of the highest points in the co., and may be seen
from Hamilton co., 50 mi. N.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2