Several caves are found in the limestone regions in various parts of the town.1 Argfisvlile,2
(p.v.,) in then. w. corner, upon the line of Sharon, contains 3 churches, a sawmill, gristmill,
tannery, and 35 houses. Carlisle, (p. v.,) upon the Western Turnpike, in the n. part, contains
a church, boarding school,3 and foundery. Pop. 107. Grovenors Corners, (p.o.,) in the
s. e. corner, contains a church and 10 houses. The first settlement was made in the s. w. part, about
1760.3 The first church was formed by Dr. Simon Hosack, of Johnstown, in 1803 or ’04.4
COBEESSSTEE5—was formed from Schoharie, March 17, 1797. The line of Sharon was
changed March 15, 1799. A part of Carlisle was taken off in 1807, a part of Summit in 1819,
and Richmondville in 1845. It is an interior town, lying n. of the center of the co. Its surface
is principally a hilly upland, broken by the deep valley of Cobles Kil, which extends e. and w.
through the center. The highest points, on the n. and s. borders, are 600 to 900 ft. above the
valley. The soil upon the hills is a sandy loam, and in the valley an alluvium. Cobleskill,
(p.v.,) in the w. part, contains 3 churches, a sawmill, gristtnill, planing mill, and tannery. Pop.
364. Cobleskill Center (p. v.) contains a church, sawmill, and 20 dwellings. Lawyers-
Ville,6 (p.v.,) in the n.w. corner, contains 3 churches, 2 sawmills, and 25 dwellings. East
Cobleskill,7 (p. v.,) in the s. e. corner, contains 2 churches and 21 dwellings. Barnerville,
(p. v.,) near the center, contains a church, gristmill, clothing works, and 16 dwellings. The first
settlement was made about 1750.8 The first land grants were made about 1730. During the
Revolution the people mostly espoused the cause of the colonists, and in consequence were sub¬
jected to. constant incursions from the Indians. A regular engagement took place between a
company of militia and a large Indian force under Brant, May 31, 1778. The Americans were
defeated, and about one-half of their number were killed.9 Howe’s Cave, near the e. line, is a
place of considerable interest.10 There are now eleven churches in town.11
COMESYIEEE12—was formed from Broome and Durham, (Greene co.,) March 3, 1836. It
is the s. E. corner town of the co. Its surface is generally a hilly upland, mountainous along the
E. border. The highest summits are 1,600 to 2,000 ft. above the valleys. Schoharie Creek forms
a small portion of the w. boundary; and Manor Kil flows w. through near the center. Upon the
latter stream, near its mouth, is a cascade of 60 ft. The valleys of these streams are bordered by
high and often nearly precipitous hills. Strykersville, (West Conesville p. o.,) upon Manor Kil
near its mouth, contains a church, tannery, and 20 houses; and Stone Bridge, (Conesville p. o.,)
near the center, a church and 10 houses. Manorkili (p.o.) is a hamlet. . The first settlement
was made by Ury Richtmeyer, in 1764.14 There are 3 churches in town; 2 M. E. and Ref. Prot. D.
ESFEKAWC3E15—was formed from Schoharie, April 4, 1846. A small portion was re¬
annexed to Schoharie in 1850. It is the e. town on the n. border of the co. Its surface consists of
two ridges, extending e. and w. across the town, separated by the valley of Schoharie Creek. The
ing in the flames. The delay occasioned by the resistance made
at this house gave the remainder of the fugitives and the in¬
habitants time to escape. The whole number of Americans
killed was 22; and it is supposed that the Indians lost about an
equal number. Fort Du Bois, a strong blockhouse, stood in this
town during the war.
11 This cave was discovered in May, 1842, by Lester Howe, the
owner. Its entrance is about 50 ft. above Cobles Kil. After
passing several spacious rooms, one of which is named “ The
Chapel,” the visitor comes fo a crawling place 200 ft. long, beyond
which is a limpid sheet of water 30 ft. long, 20 wide, and 10 deep.
Beyond this the cavern extends a great distance, much of the
way along a brook, and the total length of the passages measures
several mi. Many highly interesting stalactital concretions—
some of great size—have been found in this locality. It has been
named the Otsgaragee Cavern.
12 4 M. E., 2 Ref. Prot. D., and Evan. Luth.
13 Named from Rev. Jonathan Cone, of Durham, Greene co.
The town was included in a tract granted to U. Richtmeyer and
others, May 6,1754, known as Dise’s Manor; and tracts to Daniel
Crane, Samuel Stringer, Walter McFarlane, John Richtmeyer,
Christian Petrie, and others.
14 Mr. R. was joint owner of several patents with John Dise
and others; and the name is still common in town. During the
Revolution the settlers fled for safety to the upper fort. Peter
Richtmeyer was twice taken prisoner by the Indians under the
tory Jones. After the war, Philip Krinple, Conrad Petrie, John
Shew, Barent Stryker, Stephen Scovill, James Allerton, and
Hubbard and Judah Luring, the last two from Conn., came into
town. Th,e first death was that of Ury Richtmeyer, Aug. 14,
1769. Thomas Canfield taught a school in 1794. Peter Richt¬
meyer kept the first ion, in 1784. Barent Stryker built the first
mill, above the falls of Manor Kil. " „
15 The town was named from the village. The site of the
latter was bought by Gen.Wm. North in 1800, laid out into lots,
and named by him from a French word signifying Hope.
The principal of these caves are known as Young’s and Sel-
lick’s caves. Near Carlisle Village is a small cavern, in which
it is supposed that Indians found shelter during the Revolution.
Fibrous sulphate of barytes, fibrous carbonate of lime, and
arragonite are found near Grovenors Corners.
Named from the Albany Argus, at the time the principal
paper taken in town. Formerly known as “•Malicks Mills.”
John G. Loucks, Coenradt Engle, Philip Karker, and Peter
Young were among the first that located in town. The late
Judge Brown, author of a small loeai history, settled at au early
period. . John C. McNeill, Wm. Caldwell, John Sweetman,
Aaron Howard, Teunis Van Camp, Mathias Cass, and Lodowyck
Primer were also early settlers.
There are now 5 churches in town; Bap., Evan. Luth., Presb.,
Univ., and Union.
3 Named from Cobel, who built a mill near Central Bridge
at an early period. Cobles Kil was called by the Indians Ots-
t Named from Lawrence Lawyer, said to have been the first
settler in town. 3 Locally known as “ Punchkill.”
Among the early settlers were famiHes named Shafer, Bouck,
Keyser, Warner, Fremyre, Borst, and Brown,—mostly from Scho¬
harie. Capt. Jas. Dana, an early settler, distinguished himself
in the battle of Bunker Hill. John Redington, another soldier
of much service, also lived in this town.—Simms’s Schoharie, p.
619. A sawmill, built before the war by Christian Brown, was
not destroyed by the Indians, as it was coveted by a tory, who
expected to receive it after it was confiscated by the British.
The American force of 45 men, under the command of Capts.
Brown and Patrick, were drawn into an ambuscade. Upon the
retreat, 5 of the soldiers threw themselves into a house, which
was surrounded by the Indians and burned, the soldiers perish¬