SENECA COUNTY. 615
Were speedily occupied. In 1791 the State Road, known as the “ Geneva Road,” was built from
Whitestown to Geneva; and this soon became the great highway for immigration. This co. formed
the extreme w. portion of the Military Tract; and many of the early settlers were old soldiers who
bad drawn their portion of public land here.
COVERT—was formed from Ovid, April 7, 1817. Lodi was taken off in 1826. It lies upon
the w. shore of Cayuga Lake, in the s. e. corner of the co. Its surface is an upland descending
from, its w. border and terminating in a steep and almost precipitous bluff upon the shore of the
lake. This bluff rises 100 to 200 feet above the water, and the summit of the slope is about 400
feet higher. The town is watered by Trumansburg Creek and many smaller streams, flowing into
Cayuga Lake. These streams have worn ravines in the slate and shales to the depth of 20 to 40 feet,
the sides being nearly precipitous. In summer they are nearly dry, but during heavy rains they
become fierce mountain torrents, bounding and seething in their confined channels and leaping from
high precipices to mingle with the calm and peaceful waters of the lake. The soil is a gravelly
and clayey loam. The whole surface is arable, except the steep declivities of the lake bluffs.
Parmerville, (Farmer p. o.,) in the n. part, contains 3 churches, a steam sawmill, foundery,
and machine shop. Pop. 350. Covert, (p. o.,) in the s.e. part, Halls Corners, near the
center, and Kelleys Corners, in the sr. w., are hamlets. Port Heposit (Trumansburg
Landing p. o.) is a steamboat landing near the s. e. corner. The first settler was Philip Tremaine,
who located at Goodwins Point before 1793.1 The first religious services were held at the house
of Mr. King, by Elder Thomas; the first church (Bap.) was organized in 1805.2
PAYETTE—was formed from Romulus, as “ Washington,” March 14, 1800. Its name was
changed April 6, 1808. Junius was taken off in 1803. It lies on the s. bank of Seneca River and
extends from Seneca to Cayuga Lake. Its surface is rolling and inclined toward the N. From
Seneca Lake the land beautifully slopes upward, forming some of the most delightful situations
for residences in the co. Upon Cayuga Lake the shores are lower and in some places are marshy.
The highest point in town is about 200 feet above Seneca Lake. The streams are mostly small
brooks flowing with rapid currents, and at a few places furnishing limited water-power. In some
parts the corniferous limestone is extensively quarried, both for lime and for building purposes. The
soil is a deep, rich loam, composed of clay, gravel, and sand. Near Canoga Village is an immense
spring in a basin 14 feet in diameter, and from it flows sufficient water to form a large and valuable
water-power. The spring also emits nitrogen gas. Canoga,3 (p. v.,) in the n. e. part, on Cayuga
Lake, contains 2 churches, a gristmill, 2 sawmills, and 197 inhabitants. South Waterloo, a
suburb of Waterloo, on the s. bank of Seneca River, contains 1 church and 597 inhabitants.
Bearytown, (Fayette p. o.,) on the line of Varick, is partly in this town. West Payette,
in the s. w. corner, and Hose Hill, in the w. part, are p. offices. The first settlement was made
by James Bennett, from Penn., who located upon the shore of Cayuga Lake in 1789J Red Jacket,
the Seneca chief and orator, was born near Canoga Spring. There are 8 churches in town.5
JinVIlIS—was formed from “ Washington,” (now Fayette,) Feb. 12,1803; Wolcott (Wayne co.)
was taken off in 1807, Galen (Wayne co.) in 1812, and Seneca Falls, Tyre, and Waterloo in 1829.
It is the n. w. corner town of the co. In this town are numerous small, isolated gravel and clay
ridges 30 to 75 ft. high, all extending in a general n. and s. direction. The numerous small streams
that drain the town flow n. into Clyde River. Among the narrow valleys in the e. part is a limited
amount of swamp land. The soil is a good quality of gravelly loam. Dublin, (Junius p. o.,)
N. w. of the center, contains 1 church and 25 dwellings. West Junius is a p. o. near the s. w.
corner. Thorntons Corners is a hamlet. The first settlements were made by Thos. Bedell
and Jesse, Sam’l, and. David Southwick, about 1795.6 The first church (Cong.) was formed in
1811; three years after it was changed to a Presb. There are also 2 M. E. churches in town.
EOI9I—was formed from Covert, Jan. 27, 1826. It borders upon Seneca Lake, and is the s. w.
to lay waste the lands of the Cayugas, Onondagas, and Oneidas
that had previously escaped destruction.
1 Among the other early settlers were Nathaniel, Reuhen, and
Bassler King, from Dutchess co., in 1793; Jonathan Vfoodworth
and sons Nehemiah, Charles, and Oliver, and daughter Deborah,
from Norwich, Conn., Miner and Joseph Thomas, in 1794; and
Turtellus King, in 1795.
2 This was the first church formed in the co. The census re¬
ports 4 churches; 2 Bap., Univ., and Ref. Pi-ot. D.
8 The name of the village, derived from that of the spring, is
an Indian word said to signify “ sweet water.”
4 Samuel Bear settled at “ Schoyes,” now South Waterloo, about
1795. Wm. Watkins kept the first inn, at South Waterloo, and
Samuel Bear built the first grist and saw mill, at the same place
5 2 Presb., 2 M. E., 2 Lutheran, 2 Ref. Prot. D.
6 Among the other early settlers were families named Sher¬
man, Chapman, Brownwell, Fisk, Moore, French, Maynard,
Thorn, and Hart,—mostly from New England. The first death
was that of Mrs. Submit Southwick, wife of Samuel Southwick,
in 1802. Joseph Moody kept the first store, at Dublin. He waa
an Irishman; and hence the name of the village.