644 SULLIVAN COUNTY.
CiLLICOOI1-was formed from Liberty, March 30, 1842. Fremont was taken off in
.1851. It lies in the w. part of the co., about the sources of the n. branch of Callicoon
Creek. It is watered by numerous streams flowing into the Delaware, the valleys being mostly
narrow ravines, and the hills rising in steep declivities 200 to 600 feet above them. In the n. e.
are Shandler and Sand Ponds, the latter affording a pure white sand, formerly used in making glass.
The soil is mostly a sandy loam, and the hillsides and summits are generally capable of a good
degree of cultivation. The settlement is recent, and the people are about equally engaged ia
lumbering, farming, and tanning.2 JeSfersoirvillej (p. v.,) on the line of Cochecton, has
population of 433, of whom 305 are in this town. Yotmg'sville, (p.v.,) Nortli Branch,
(p.v.,) and Callicoon Center (Callicoon p.o,) have each about 30 houses. The first settlers
were Wm. Wood and his sons, Gerrett, Edward, and David, who arrived in town May 19, 1814,
and lived 15 years in the wilderness.3 Rev. Mr. McClary, pastor of the Asso. Ref. church of Bethel,
was the first preacher.4 J
COCHECTOli5 -was formed from Bethel, March 25, 1828. It is situated upon the bank of
the Delaware, in the w. part of the co. Ridges of hills, with narrow valleys between, cover the
entire surface of the town. The principal streams are the Callicoon and its branches, and several
small tributaries of the Delaware. The mouth of the Callicoon is 777 feet above tide. Pike Pond
in the e., Perry Pond in the s., and Mitchells Pond and Lake Huntington in the center, are the
principal sheets of water. A large part of the surface is still covered with forests. The soil is
mostly a gravelly loam, and best adapted to pasturage. Lumbering and tanning form the leading
objects of industry. Cochecton (p.v.) contains 269 inhabitants, Pike Poiad (p.v.) 188,
Callicoon Depot (p. v.) 207, and Stevensburgh (Cochecton p. o.) 209. Beeck Wood
and Fosterdale are p. offices. Settlements were begun on the Delaware before the Revolution,
but were broken up. The pioneer settler was N. Mitchell, who located near Cochecton Village.8
The first church (Presb.) was formed in 1839, and the Rev. Mr. Cummings was the first pastor.7
FAULSBIJTLC4II—was formed from Thompson and Neversink, March 9, 1826. It derives
its name from the falls in Neversink River at Fallsburgh Village. Its surface is hilly and rolling.
It is drained by the Neversink and its branches. Sheldrake Pond, (named from the wild ducks
that formerly frequented its waters,) Smith, Hill, and Browns Ponds in the w., and East Pond,
in the Ey are the principal lakes. The soil is a gravelly loam. The people are chiefly engaged in
lumbering, dairying, and tanning.8 Woodborarne (p.v.) contains 30 houses, Meversisili
Falls (Fallsburgh p. o.) 25, Hasbrouck (p. v.) 25, Loch Sheldrake (p. v.) 15, and
Sandbnrgh (p. v.) 15. It is said that settlement was commenced in this town by Germans
previous to the Revolution,9 but the settlers were driven off during that war. Soon after the
peace 3 brothers by the name of Baker located in town and commenced the first permanent settle¬
ment.10 The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was built at Hasbrouck.11
FORESTBFBCrH—was formed from Thompson and Mamakating, May 2, 1837. It lies
principally upon the high ridges between Neversink and Mongaup Rivers, and has a broken surface
and an average elevation of 1400 feet above tide. In this town are several small lakes, the
principal of which are Ruddicks Pond in the n. w., Beaver Pond in the s., and Panther Pond in
the center. The town still retains the character implied by its name. Mongaup Falls, on Mon¬
gaup River, 3 mi. above Forestburgh Village, are worthy of note. The river here falls into a
chasm 70 feet deep, and the banks below the falls are more than 100 feet high. Lumbering, tan-
t Caw-li-coon. This name is said to signify “ Turkey” in both
Dutch and Indian. The Dutch for turkey is “ Kalkoen.” In the
Btatutes and official publications of the State the name is com¬
monly written“Collikoon”—Harper’sN.Y.&E. li.lt.Guide,p.84.
8 There are 5 large tanneries in town, which manufacture
about 125,000 sides of leather annually.
8 Edward was a cooper; the others were farmers. The first
child born was John Wood. Jacob Quick built the first saw¬
mill, and Samuel Young kept the first store and built the first
mill, at Youngsville. In 1833-34 settlers began to come in from
Conn. and the sr.; and in 1840 Germans began to settle in the
town in considerable numbers. The latter class now form about
one-third of the population.
4 Tfie census reports 2 churches; Luth., Asso. Ger. Meth.
8 Co-shek-tun. Originally called u Cusi-wun-tunk,” j.or low
« Among the other early settlers were David Young, at Big
Island; John Ross, at Callicoon Creek; Nicholas Conklin and
Tyler, at Cochecton. Job Jones taught the first school,
near Cochecton; Maj. Ebenezer Taylor kept the first tavern and
store, at Cochecton; and Mitchell Conklin built the first sawmill,
m Mitchells Pond Brook. On Big Island, 2 mi. above Cochecton.
The census reports 3 churches; M. E., Presb., and Ref. Prot.D.
8 At Fallsburgh is an extensive tannery, that'manufactures
40,000 sides of leather annually; and another of the same size
is located at Woodbourne.
9 Fruit tree's planted by these settlers are said to be still
to Thomas Rawson came in 1787 or ’88; Thomas Grant located
in 1789; Samuel Thaddeus, Obadiah Brown, and James Hill
settled a little n. of Fallsburgh, and James Nicoll, Peter Ferdon,
and Mr. Brush on the site of the village. The first sawmill was
built in 1808, and the first grist mill in 1809, by Philo Buggies.
Matthew Seeley kept the first inn, at Hasbrouck, and Robt.
Beading the first store, at Fallsburgh. In 1797, the nearest mill
was at Napanock, in Ulster co.; and for many years the nearest
market was Newburgh. In 1786 or ’87 an extraordinary and
destructive flood occurred upon this valley.