Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 675
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Hudson, and is the n.w. corner town of the co. Its surface is very broken and mountainous. The
Schroon Range occupies the
n. and central parts; and a spur of the Kayaderosseras Range extends
into the s. Crane Mt
.,1 the highest peak of the latter, is about 3,500 feet above tide. The greater .
part of’ the town is capable of cultivation. The highland is well adapted to growing grass and
grain. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam. Kaolin, serpentine iron ore, and other minerals
are found. There are 3 large tanneries in town. Johnstmrgli; (p. v.,) on Mill Creek, contains
20 houses; lobies Corners, on the same stream, 25 ; JVortli Creels., (p.v.,) on the Hudson,
at the mouth of North Creek, 15; and Tlie Glen, (p.o.,) on the Hudson, in the
s.e. corner of
the town, 7. The first settlement was made soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, by
John Thurman, the proprietor of extensive tracts in this part of the State
.2 The first church (Bap.)
was organized in 1793. There are 4 churches in town

LITZERJIE—was formed from Queensbury, April 10, 1792, as “ FairfieldIts name was
changed April
6, 1808. A strip of territory 1 mi. wide was set off to Queensbury, March 30,
1802. It lies upon the
e. bank of Hudson River, in the s. extremity of the co. Two branches of
the Luzerne Mts. extend through the town, respectively occupying the n. and s. portions. They
are separated by the valley which extends s.w. from the s. end of Lake George. A chain of small
lakes lies along its course; and in them two streams take rise, one of which flows to Lake George
and the other to the Hudson
.4 About one-half of the surface bordering upon the river is a high,
hilly region, but arable. Kettle Bottom, in the s. part, and several peaks of the ridge which
extends along the
e. border, are 2,000 to 2,500 feet above tide. The soil is a light, sandy loam.
Luzerne (p.v.) is situated on the Hudson, above its confluence with Sacandaga RIfer. Pop.
280. The first settlements were made about 1770, along the Hudson. Most of the early settlers
occupied lands leased fmm Ebenezer Jessup, the patentee. There are 3 churches in town

QEEENTSIBERY—was incorporated by patent1 as a township, May 20, 1762, and recognized
as a town, March 13, 1786. Luzerne was taken off in 1792, and a part of Caldwell in 1810. A
strip of territory 1 mi. wide was taken from Luzerne and added to this town in 1802. It lies
between Lake George and the Hudson, and is the
s.e. corner town of the co. The w part is occu¬
pied by the Luzerne Mts., and the extreme
n. part by Erench Mt., a high, rocky bluff which rises
precipitously from the surface of Lake George to a height of 2,500 to 3,000 feet above tide. The
central and s. parts are rolling, gradually declining toward the s. The soil is a light, sandy loam
in the interior, and a deep, tough clay upon the river. The fall in the Hudson at Glens Ealls is
about 50 feet high, and affords valuable mill privileges. Below the fall is a small island, through
which is a cave extending from one channel to the other. The manufacture of lumber is largely
carried on
.2 Glesis Falls/ (p. v.,) incorp. April 12,1839, is situated on tho Hudson, in the s.
part. It contains 9 churches, the Glens Ealls Academy, 3 newspaper offices, 2 banks, and several
.3 Pop. 3,420. West Glens Falls, on the Hudson, contains 25 houses; and
C^aeensbnry, (p.v.,) in the
e. part 20. French Mountain (p.o.) is a hamlet. The
summit level of the Champlain Canal is fed through the Glens Ealls navigable feeder with water
taken from the Hudson above the falls, The settlement was commenced in 1766; but its progress
was very slow until after the close of the Revolution
.4 The first house of worship was erected by
the Society of Eriends, in 1786. There are now 11 churches in town

STGMY CREEK—was formed from “Athol”6 Nov. 3, 1852. It’lies upon the w bank of
Hudson River, and is the s.w. corner town of the co. Nearly the whole town is still a wilderness.
Through the center of the town extend mountain ranges, several peaks of which attain an eleva¬
tion of more than 2,000 feet. The valleys of
E. and w. Stony Creeks are narrow ravines, forming
a natural pass between the valleys of the Hudson and Sacandaga. The soil is a light, sandy loam.

1 There is a small pond near the summit of the mountain
which is much frequented by cranes; and from [this circum¬
stance it derives its name. Seen from Warrensburgh, 11 mi.
distant, the mountain presents a striking resemblance to the
profile of the human facet
9 Among tlie early settlers were Robt. Waddle, Geo. Hodgson,
John- Wilkinson, Reuben and Calvin Washburn, and Samuel
Somerville. The first birth was that of Polly Waddle; the first
marriage, that of Calvin Washburn and Betsey Waddle; and
the first death, that of Enos Grover. The first mills were erected
in 1789 or ’90, by Mr. Thurman. He opened a store and built a
distillery; and in 1795 he erected a woolen factory. This was
soon after changed to a cotton factory; and as early as 1797 he
erected calico printing works, the first, it is believed, in America.
8 Bap., M. E., Free Will Bap., and Wes. Meth.

* Hadley and Jessup Falls, upon the Hudson, are within this
town. See page 588.    6    Bap.,    M. E., and Union.


This patent embraced 2,300 acres.


T An immense number of logs is annually floated down from
the pine forests of the TJpper Hudson to Glens Falls and Fort
Edward. At one mill upon the State dam at the former place
are 12 gates and 250 saws.    .


9 This place contains 4 sawmills, a flouring mill, and an esta¬
blishment for sawing marble.


Among the first settlers were Abraham Wing, Reed Ferris,
Asaph and Benajah Putnam, Jeffrey Cooper, Ichabod Merritt,
and Caleb Dowell. Immediately after the war, Benj. Wing, Neho-
miah Seelic.e, Phineas Babcock, Wm. Roland, David Bennett,
James Houghson, Silas Brown, and Jeremiah Briggs settled in


u 2 Friends, 2 R. C., Bap., M. E., Presb., Prot. E., Ch. of Mea°


siah, Asso. Presb., and Univ.    M    See    Thurman.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2