Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 701
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Brook1 forms a part of the e. boundary, and Mamaroneck Creek a part of the w. Rye Pond2 lies
on the n. border, and St. Mary’s Pond on the
w. The soil is a fertile, gravelly loam. Pureliase,
in the
n., is a hamlet, containing 2 Friends’ meeting houses. Harrison is a p. o. The first set¬
tlement commenced at an. early period. The census reports 2 Friends’ meeting houses
3 in town.

LEWISBORO4—was formed March 7, 1788, as “ Salem” Its name was changed to “South
April 6, 1806, and to its present name Feb. 13, 1840. A part of North Salem was an¬
nexed April 26, 1844* It lies on the
e. border, near tbe n. e. corner, and forms the eastern angle
of the co. Its surface is much broken and in places mountainous. Croton River forms its w
boundary. Cross River flows through a small portion of the central southern part. Waccaback
5 and North and South Ponds are in the n. part, and Cross Pond is on the line of Poundridge.
The soil is a clayey and sandy loam. Sosstli Salem, (p. v.,) in the
e. part, is a scattered vil¬
lage, containing a church and 15 houses. Cross River, (p. v.,) in the s. corner; contains 2
churches, several manufactories, and 20 houses. Goldens Bridge (p.o.) is a station on the
Harlem R. R. Vista, (p. o.,) in the s.
e. corner, is a small settlement. Eewisbor© (p. o.) is
in the s. part. Settlement was commenced tinder the authority of Connecticut, at an early period.
This region was the scene of several Revolutionary incidents
.5 There are 7 churches in town.6

MAMAROIVECR7—was recognized as a town March 7, 1788. It lies upon L. I. Sound, in
the s.
e. part of the co. Its surface is broken by low ridges of gneiss, generally extending n. and
s. Mamaroneck Creek, forming the
e. boundary, and its tributary, Sheldrake Creek, are the prin¬
cipal streams. The coast is deeply indented by several bays, which divide it into numerous penin¬
sulas and headlands. Mamaroneck, (p. v.,) near the head of Mamaroneck Bay, is partly in
Rye. It contains 2 churches, (Prot. E. and M. E.,) and several manufactories not at present in
operation. Orienta,8 WasMngtonville, Ctiatswortli,10 and HicKory Grove are
village plats and prospective villages. ILelloggsville, on the line of New Rochelle, has an
extensive tide mill. The Indian title was obtained in 1640 and in 1662. John Richbell received
a ground brief from the Dutch, and letters patent from Gov. Lovelace, Oct. 16,1668, to three necks
of land, at a quitrent of
8 bushels of winter wheat. In 1700 Caleb Heathcote acquired title to
most of the eastern neck, with other lands, which was confirmed March 21, 1701. A portion
descended in marriage to James De Lancey, afterward Governor of the colony, and ancestor of the
present Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Western New York. Settlement began about 1660; and
the village of Mamaroneck is one of the most ancient in the co. The town records date back to
1697 ; they were suspended from April, 1776, to April, 1785. During this period numerous events
of historical interest occurred in this town. The day before the battle of White Plains, Col. Small¬
wood surprised and cut off a large body of tbe enemy under Major Rogers, stationed upon Nelson
Hill. Col. White, of the Continental army, was overtaken near this place by Lieut. Hickford, and
some thirty stragglers, who had taken refuge upon the ice, were killed.

MORRIS A1VI A11—was formed from West Farms, Dec. 7, 1855. It is the s. w. corner town of
the co., lying upon Harlem River, contiguous to New York. Its surface is broken by several low
ridges which extend n. and s. Most of its surface is occupied by village plats laid out since the
extension of railways, and is inhabited by persons doing business in New York. Morrisania,
a r.r. station, in the N. e. corner, contains the St. Joseph’s Ursuline Convent, an academy
and free school, and 2,587 inhabitants. Mott Haven, (p. v
.,)12 opposite Harlem, contains 2

neck” or “ Mar-neck,” in common speech. It has been variously
written Momoronack, Mamarinck, Merinack, and Momoronuck.
It has been hy some supposed to signify “the place of rolling'
Bolton's Westchester, I, 282. There was an Indian
chief of this name, who resided upon the Croton.

9 Formerly called “ Mamaroneck Point,” “ Great Neck,” and
“De Lanceys Neck.” The eastern part of this neck is called
Seamans Point, from Giles Seaman, former owner. The natives
called it Waumainnck. The modern name “ Edgewater” has
been applied to this place. The western part is called “Long
Beach Point.”

10 Near this place is a rocking stone, estimated to weigh 150
tons, which may he moved hy the hand.

u A town of this name was formed March 7,1788, and annexed
to Westchester Feb. 22,1791. It was named in honor of Gou¬
verneur Morris, whose estate was situated in the town.

12 Named from JordanX. Mott, principal founder of the works.
Steel works have been erected near the rail road bridge. By
act of March 31,1790, Lewis Morris was allowed to build a toll
bridge at this place across Harlem River. He assigned his right
to John B. Coles, who was allowed, March 24,1795, to build a
dam in Harlem River, with locks, and liability for damages.


Called by tbe Indians Mockquams.


This pond covers 210 acres, and abounds in pickerel. It
discharges into Bronx River; and it was at one time proposed to
take this water to supply New York City.


8 One of these was built before the Revolution, and was used
by the Americans during the war as a hospital.


Named from John Lewis, a prominent citizen. Its northern
part formed a portion of Cortlandt Manor; and on its division
in 1734 the part in this town fell to the share of Stephen Van


This lake covers 212 acres, and, with the adjacent ponds, is
fed by springs and rivulets from Great Long Pond Mountain.
Beavers inhabited its shores as late as 1837.

6 Maj. Andre was conducted to the headquarters of Col.
Jameson, in North Castle, and thence, in charge of Maj. Tall¬
madge, to Col. Sheldon’s quarters, in this town. From this place
he addressed Gen. Washington, disclosing his true name and
rank. The house where he was detained is still preserved.


t 2 M. E., Meth. Prot., Prot. E., Presb., Bap., and Friends.


Pronounced both Mam-a-ro'neck and Mam-ar'6-neck. The


latter is more generally used, and is often contracted to “ Mor-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2