Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 702
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


churches, an extensive iron foundery, and 843 inhabitants. Port Morris^1 upon the Sound, has
a harbor of 60 ft. depth; and it is proposed to land vessels here that draw too much water to enter
New York Harbor. A branch of the Harlem R. R. mi. long connects this place with Melrose.
Wilton, Old Morrisania, East Morrisania, West Morrisania, South Mel¬
rose, East Melrose, Eltona, Woodstock, Claremont, and High Bridge ville,
are suburban village plats. A tract known as Broncks Land
,2 granted by Gov. Nicoll to Jonas
Broncks, was sold to Richard Morris in 1668; and on May 9,1697, Lewis Morris obtained a patent
for the township or Manor of Morrisania, with a quitrent of
6 shillings. Prior to the Revolution
it formed one of the precincts of Westchester parish. Early in the war a division of the American
army was stationed here ; but after the disasters of Long Island it- retired northward, and British
troops were posted there, but not without annoyance from partisan corps. The dwellings at Mor¬
risania were burned the same day as was the courthouse' at White Plains.

MOUNT PEE AS ANT—was formed March 7, 1788. Ossining was taken off in 1845. It
lies upon the Hudson, near the center of the w. border of the co. Its surface is broken by high
ridges, the principal of which are Buttermilk and Chappaqua Hills. Bronx River forms the
boundary; and Neperhan and Pocantico Rivers flow obliquely across the town. The soil is a
clayey and sandy loam, well adapted to cultivation. There are several marble quarries in town
PSeasantville,4 (p. v.,) near the N. line, contains 2 churches and 358 inhabitants. Union-
ville, (Neperhan p. o.,) a station upon the Harlem R. R. contains 97 inhabitants. Beek¬
mantown, on Pocantico River, in the s. w. part of the town, is a suburb of Tarrytown. It con¬
tains 5 churches, the Irving and Tarrytown Institutes, and about 1,500 inhabitants. Sleepy
Hollow,5 Upper Cross Hoads, and Lower Cross Roads are hamlets. This town
was included in the Manor of Philipsburgh, granted to Frederick Philipse ; and by his will, dated
Dec. 9, 1702, he granted to his son Adolph the portion of the manor
n. of Dobbs Ferry, including
this town. The title descended to his son Frederick, and was forfeited by the attainder of a son
of the latter of the same name in 1779. One of the principal grantees under the State was
Gerard G. Beeckman. Many Revolutionary associations*are connected with this town; and several
encounters took place within its limits. The census reports
6 churches in town.6

NEW CASTEE7—was formed from North Castle, March 18, 1791. A part of Somers was
annexed May 12, 1846. It is an interior town, lying
n. of the center 'of the co. Its surface is
much broken by hills having a general course a little
e. of n., the principal of which are Mount
Prospect and the Chappaqua Hills, terminating in Mount Kisko. The Neperhan, Bronx, and Po¬
cantico Rivers rise in this town. Upon the borders are Chappaqua, Wampas
,8 and Kirby Ponds,
and Croton Lake. Chappaqua Sulphur Springs, 4 mi.
n. e. from Sing Sing, have acquired a local
notoriety. The soil is a gravelly clay and sandy loam. Mount Risko (p. o.) is a small village
and k. r. station, on the line of Bedford. New Castle (p. o.) is a small scattered village,
upon Kirby Pond, near the line of Bedford. Chappaqua9 (p.o.) is a
R. R. station, near the
s. line. Sarlesville is a hamlet, near the center of the town; and here the town business is
generally transacted. This town was included within Richbell’s purchase of 1660, and, with other
lands, was sold to Caleb Heathcote, and was patented to him and 10 associates
10 Feb. 14,1701. It
was afterward known as the “West Patent of North castle,” or simply “West Patent.” Settle¬
ment began about 1720, or a little earlier. At the time of the Revolution it formed one of the
precincts of Rye parish. It was greatly annoyed by sudden incursions of plundering parties; and
St. George’s church was for a long time occupied as a guardhouse and hospital by tbe Continental
troops. The census reports 5 churches in town

NEW ROCHELLE—was recognized as a town March 7, 1788. It lies upon the Sound, in
the s. part of the co., and extends northward in a long, narrow strip. The surface is moderately

The bridge at Harlem leading to Mott Haven is now free, the
charter of its former owners having expired in 1858. The bridge
formerly known as Macomb’s Bridge is removed, and is about
being rebuilt.

1 Sometimes called “ Morrisport.” Named from Gouverneur
Morris, the principal owner. 2 Called by the natives Rauachque.

3 The New Orleans Custom House was built of marble from a
quarry in the N. E. part of this town.

4 Formerly called “ Clarks Corners.”.

5 Sleepy Hollow is noted for being the scene of one of Irving’s
celebrated legends. The Dutch church at this place was formed
in 1697, and the edifice erected in 1699. The communion table
and service plate, originally given by the first lord of the manor,
are still preserved.

6 2 Ref. Prot. D., M. E., Prim. Meth., Prot. E., and R. C.

1 Called by the Indians Shappaqua, said to signify “ a vegetablo
Bolton’s Westchester, I, 361.

8 Named from the sachem, chief proprietor of these lands in
1696, whose residence is said to have been near.

9 Pronounced Sh&p-pa-quaw. It is sometimes written Chape-

i° These patentees were Robt. Walters, Leigh Atwood, Corne¬
lius Depeyster, Caleb Heathcote, Matthew Clarkson, John Cald¬
well, Richard Slater, Lancaster Simes, Robt. Lusting, and Barne
Cosens. It was settled by families named Ward, Concklin,
Hyatt, Underhill, Haight, Carpenter, Green, Kirby, Davenport,
Van Tassel, Griffen, Tompkins, Kipp, Secor, Brady, Reynolds,
Quinly, and Merrith. 112 M. E., 2 Friends, and Prot. E.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2