WESTCHESTER COUNTY. 705
©f the town, is a new*y surveyed village and station on the N. Y. & N. H. R. R. Pelham is a
p. o. on the e. border. Prospect Mill is a locality near the center. Pelham Priory1
is the seat of a young ladies’ seminary, established by the late Rev. Robert Bolton and conducted
by his daughters. A settlement was made in this town in 1642,2 by Mrs. Anne Hutchinson, who
was driven from Massachusetts on account of her religious belief. There is 1 church (Prot. E.)
POUSTDRIDCrE *—was formed March 7, 1788. It. lies in the e. part of the co., its s. line
bordering on Stamford and New Canaan, Conn. Its surface is hilly and much broken. The Stony
Hills occupy the n. part and extend 3 or 4 mi. in a n. e. direction, with steep, craggy sides and
rocky summits. Cross River flows through the extreme n. corner, Stamford Mill River flows s.
through the e. part,, and Maharness River forms a part of the s. w. boundary. Cross Pond is on
the E. line. The soil is a gravelly loam. PowndiTdge, (p. o.,) near the center, is a small
settlement with 2 churches. Boutontown is a hamlet, in the n. comer. The first settlement
commenced near the center of the town, in 1744, by Capt.. Joseph Lockwood and associates, from
Stamford, Conn. There are 3 churches in town; M. E., Prot. Meth., and Presb.
RUE1—was formed March 7, 1788. It lies on the e. border of the s. part of the co. It is a
narrow, irregular strip, bordering on the Sound and Greenwich, Conn. Its surface is broken and
rocky. Byram River3 forms a small part of the. e. boundary, and Blind Brook a part of the w.
The soil is chiefly clay. There are quarries of hard, blue granite in town. Along the coast are
several small islands.® The mirage is frequently seen upon the coast, bringing to view the shore
of Long Island with great distinctness. Rye, (p. v.,) a station on the N.Y. & N. H. R. R.,
contains 3 churches, a private seminary, and 300 inhabitants. Miltoai; in the s. part, is a
hamlet, with 1 church. Ryetoeacti is a place of resort during the hot season. Port
Chester, (p.v.,) a station on the N.Y. & N. H. R. R., contains 5 churches, several private
seminaries, extensive manufactories,4 and 1,695 inhabitants. . Ringgtreet is a fine agricul¬
tural district, extending nearly 7 miles n. of Port Chester. The first settlement was commenced
on Manursing Island.8 The census reports 9 churches in town.9
SC ARSBALE 10—was formed March 7, 1788. It lies in the interior of the s. part of the co.
Its surface is broken by ridges and hills. Bronx River forms the w. boundary, and the e. angle
borders on the Mamaroneck. Hutchinson and Sheldrake Creeks rise in this town. The soil is a
clayey and sandy loam. It has no villages, and is the least populous town in the co. Scars¬
dale,, (p.o.,) in the w. part, contains a church and a few houses. Scarsdale Station, on
the Harlem R. R., is on the w. border of the town. In the s. corner of the town is a Friends
meeting house, on a site used for that purpose long before the Revolution. Gov. Tompkins was a
native of this town; and Chief Justice Morris and Maj. Wm. Popham—for many years clerk of
the Court of Exchequer—resided here. The census reports 2 churches in town; Prot. E. and
SOMERS11—was formed March 7, 1788, as “ Stephentown.” Its name was changed April 6,
1808. A part was annexed to New Castle in 1846. It lies on the n. border of the co., near the
7 These consist of a foundery, edge tool, bolt, screw,'and rod
factory, tide gristmill, and a last and shoe factory.
3 This island was bought by the Dutch W. I. Company, who
sold it June 29,1660, to John Coe, Peter Disbrow, and Thos.
Studwell. The proprietors proposed to name-the place Hastings,
and issued a declaration of allegiance to the king, to which
was annexed a description of their proposed town, embracing
the country between Byram River and Blind Brook. Upon the
final annexation to New York it was formed into a market
town, with the privilege of holding a fair of four days, begin¬
ning on the 2d day of October. Courts of special sessions were
also held here. The Dutch made the first Indian purchase in this
region, in 1640; and numerous conveyances were afterward made.
By the agreement of 1660, this town was included in Conn. In
1683 it was assigned to New York. In 1696 it was again
claimed by Conn.; and the present line was fully.settled May
14,1730. The charter of Rye was granted Aug. 12,1720.
8 3 M. E., 2 Prot. E., 2 Presb., Af. Meth., and R. C.
10 Named from Scarsdale, in England, whence the Heath-
cote family came. In colonial times this town formed part of
the manor of Scarsdale.
11 Named from Capt. Richard Somers, the intrepid and gallant
hero of the Tripolitan War. “ Stephentown” was named from
Stephen Van Cortlandt. Prior to 1788, it formed part of the
township of Hanover, within Cortlandt Manor; and under tbe
natives it formed part of the territory of Amapogh, or Amma-
walk.—Bolion’s Westchester, II, p. 131.
Upon these 'premises is a rocking stone weighing about 20
This settlement was soon after broken up by the Indians,
who killed 18 persons, including the founder.
3 Called by the Indians “ Armonck.” The meadows bordering
it were called “Haseco” and “ Miosehassaky.”
Henhawk, Great, Middle, and Little Captains Islands.