FORT EDWARD INSTITUTE.
AT FORT EDWARD, WASHINGTON CO., N. Y./ON THE RAILROAD.
IREV. JOSEPH E- KING, A..IVC., PHINCIPAL.
This Institution was opened December, 1854, since which time the Regents’ Annual Reports show it to have been the
BEST SUSTAINED BOARDING- SEMINARY IN THE STATE.
Nearly every county in the State, and two-thirds of the States of the Union, have been its patrons. The following are some
of the grounds of its claim to the popular favor:—
Its substantial brick buildings, well guarded against fire, and which, by the central position of its common Dining Ilall,
Chapel, and an ample suit of class rooms, accessible respectively to the two separate departments by distinct entrances, are most
admirably adapted to the safe aud successful co-education of ladies and gentlemen, the two departments being at all hours ab¬
solutely under the control of the Faculty. Also its noble "Library and Apparatus.
ITS LIBERAL PROVISION FOR THE ABLEST INSTRUCTION
In each branch and department of study; three professors and teachers being devoted exclusively to the common English
studies, two each to the Mathematics and Classics, one respectively to Commercial Instruction, to Natural Science, to Modern
Languages, and to Painting, while no less than four have in eharge the department of Music. Rare facilities are thus afforded
to prepare for teaching■; while desirable situations are procured for young ladies who graduate in the prescribed Course of Studies.
It is a part of the well established system of this Christian Institute, to conserve and promote the health, manners, and morals
of its pupils. The Principal, wishes it distinctly understood that he becomes personally responsible to parents for the moral and
social well being of their daughters while in attendance at this Institute.
It provides good, spacious rooms, plainly but suitably furnished; and wholesome and sufficient Board, of a quality and variety
satisfactory to its patrons.
ITS REMARKABLY MODERATE RATES.
To many families the difference in the cost of maintaining a son or daughter at home or at this Institute, would be scarcely
appreciable. One hundred and three dollars per year, pays for Board, furnished room, fuel, washing and tuition in common Eng¬
lish. Extra branches at corresponding rates. A student may enter for a single term, or at any time in the term and pay for the
There are three terms of fourteen weeks each. Winter Term opens December 1st, 1859; Spring Term opens March 23d, 1860;
Fall Term opens August 16th, 1860. For circulars, or for rooms, apply to the Principal.
Tui n to the chapter in the Gazetteer descriptive of Fort Edward, also to chapter of statistics of Academies, and notice the
Washington Co. Seminary.
TESTIMONIALS OF EXAMINING COMMITTEES.
Rev. Wm. Scott, of Montreal, Secretary, 1855. The Committee
found the buildings, in their construction and specific arrange¬
ments, better adapted to their purpose than any other ever
visited by them.
Rev. S. Washburn, of Troy, Secretary, November, 1856. We
were highly gratified with the good order and decorum apparent
in every department of the Institute.
Rev. M. Bates, of Schenectady, Secretary, March, 1857. There
id, we think, no Institution, not wholly devoted to this object,
where equal facilities are afforded for acquiring, at trifling ex¬
pense, a thorough business educati on.
Prof. John Newman, A. M., of Union College, Seceetary, Nov. 18,
1857 The Committee have found the most satisfactory evidence
in its able Board of Instruction and Government, its skillful finan¬
cial management, as well as in the extent and sterling character
of its patronage, that the Fort Edward Institute is a signal success1
While the Institution is in all departments worthy of entire
confidence, the Committee feel called upon to mention the de¬
partment of Music and that of Painting, as decidedly superior to
my thing we have ever heard or seen in any similar Institution.
Rev. J. K. Cheesman, of Schenectady, Secretary, July, 1857.
The gastronomic department, under the care of Mr. A. K. Haxtun,
the Steward, is finely managed. An abundant supply of well
cooked food is provided.
Rev. R. H. Robinson, Secretary, Saratoga Springs, Nov. 25,
1858. The peculiar energy of the Principal pervades every
department of instruction, embracing eighteen teachers, a
number sufficient to permit a subdivision of classes, eo that
none need be neglected. Many students have consecrated their
young hearts on the altar of Christianity, and will go forth with
great power, rightly directed, to bless the church and the world.
Prof. C. T. Lewis, A.M., Troy University, March, 1859. The
practical drill was admirable. Attention had been given to the
powers of ready and neat expression, but the basis lay in a clear
comprehension of facts and principles, for which good language
was made an ornament, not a substitute. Perhaps no feature
of the exercises was more charming than their entire fairness,
which was at once transparent and unobtrusive.
Rev. B. IIawley, A.M., Chairman, West Tmy, June 23,1859.
In the circle of our large Academies, furnishing the highest
advantages at the lowest charges, I know of no one sustaining
a better reputation than Fort Edward Institute. 9 *