Strafforth and Tickhill, 5 miles N. from
Acaster Malbis, (5) a parish
and township in the Ainsty, 4§ miles
S. from York; inhabitants, 291; a
vicarage, value 5/. 6s. 5§df.; patron,
Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. This
parish contains the township of Na-
burn, in the wapentake of Ouse and
Derwent. Entire population, 657.
Acaster Selby, (5) a township
in the parish of Stillingfleet, wapen-
take of Ouse and Derwent; but Acaster
itself is situated in the Ainsty, on the
west side of the river Ouse, 6 miles S.
from York. Inhabitants, 188. This
village was formerly a part of the pos-
sessions of the Abbot of Selby.
Acklam, E. R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Buck-
rose, 7 miles S. from Malton; inha-
bitants, 589 ; a vicarage, value 5 /.;
patron, the Chancellor of York Cathe-
dral. This parish contains the township
of Leavening. Entire population, 788.
Acklam, N. R. (2) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Lang*
barugh, 5 miles N. E. from Yarm ; in-
habitants, 105; a chapelry to the ad-
joining parish of Stainton. - Acklam
Hall is the seat of Thomas Hustler, Esq.
The parish contains the townships of
Linthorpe and Middlesborough. En-
tire population, 341.
Ackton, or Aikton, W.R. (8) a
township in the parish of Featherstone,
wapentake of Osgoldcross; but Ack-
ton itself is in the wapentake of Agbrigg,
3§ miles W. from Pontefract. Inhabi-
tants, 72. Ackton Hall is the seat of
Sir Edmund Mark Winn, Bart.
Ackworth, W.R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Osgold-
cross, 3$ miles S. W. from Pontefract;
inhabitants, 1575 ; a rectory, value
22l. Is. 0%d.; patron, the King, as
Duke of Lancaster. This place, stand-
ing on a moor, is nominally divided
into the two villages of High and Low
Ackworth, and is much celebrated for
its Quaker school. In .the year 1777,
the premises, then an appendage to the
Foundling Hospital of London, with
85 acres of land, were purchased by
the Society of Friends, for the purpose
of instituting a seminary for the edu-
cation of youth in the more humble
classes of their persuasion at a mode-
rate price. The number of pupils is
limited to 180 boys, and 120 girls : as
might be expected, the greatest order
and decorum are observable through-
out the establishment. The parish
contains many handsome residences.—
Ackworth Park the seat of John Petyt,
Esq; Ackworth Grange, Richard Wil-
son, Esq.; Ackworth Lodge, Rev. Geo.
Maddison; Ackworth Moortop, Tho-
mas Gee, Esq.; and Houndhill Hall,
Acomb, (5) a parish and town-
ship in the Ainsty, 2£ miles S. W. from
York; inhabitants, 733 ; a vicarage,
value 3/. 9s. 2d.; patron, the Rev.
Thomas Tireman. Acomb Grange is
the seat of John Jolly, Esq.: the pa-
rish contains the township of Knapton.
Entire population, 870.
Acre Ings, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Newton Mulgrave, pa-
rish of Lythe, wapentake of Langba-
rugh, 8 miles N. W. from Whitby.
Addingham, W.R. (4) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Stain-
cliffe, 5 miles S. E. from Skipton; in-
habitants, 1570 ; a rectory, value 9l.
Is. %%d.; patron, Mrs. Mary Cunliffe.
Here are several worsted and cotton
manufactories. The church is one of
the neatest in Craven; and, with its
ancient parsonage-house, stands at an
agreeable distance from the village,
near the' river Wharfe. Farfield Hall,
in this township, is the seat of W.
Cunliffe, Esq. This parish contains
part of the township of Beamsley.
Entire population, 1650.
Addle, W. R. (5) a parish and
township with Eccup, in the wapentake
of Skyrack, 6 miles N. W. from Leeds j