Marske, wapentake of Gilling West,
4 miles W. from Richmond.
Appleton, East and West, N. R.
(2) a township in the parish of Cat-
terick, wapentake of Hang East, 2 miles
S. W. from Catterick; inhabitants, 87.
Appleton-le-Moor, N.R. (2) a
township in the parish of Lastingham,
wapentake of Rydale, 6 miles N.W.
from Pickering ; inhabitants, 276.
Appleton-le-Street, N.R. (5)
a parish and township in the wapentake
of Rydale, 4 miles N.W. from New
Malton ; inhabitants, 173; a vicarage,
value 71. 8s. 6?\d.y patron, the Rev.
Dr. Cleaver. The parish contains the
townships of Amotherby, Broughton,
Hildenley and Swinton. Entire popu-
Appleton-Nun, (5) a hamlet in the
township of Appleton-Roebuck, parish
of Bolton Percy, in the Ainsty, 9 miles
S. from York; this place, now the
seat of Sir William M. Milner, Bart.,
took its name from a priory of Cister-
cian Nuns, founded by Adeliza St.
Quintin, in the time of King Stephen.
At its dissolution the prioress with
her nuns, who were about fourteen in
number, were allowed for their main-
tenance 731.9s. 10rf. per annum. Whe-
ther the ladies of this convent were
more refractory than those of other re-
ligious communities, is not ascertained,
but many curious injunctions were pre-
scribed for their government, such as,
that none of the sisters use the ale-
house, or the water-side where the
course of strangers daily resort.
Appleton-Roebuck, (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Bolton Percy, in
the Ainsty, 9 miles S. from York; in-
habitants, 585 : a pleasant and salu-
Appleton Wiske, N.R. (2) a town-
ship in the parish of Great Smeaton,
wapentake of Langbarugh, 7 miles
S.W. from Yarm; inhabitants, 492; a
chapelry to the rectory of Smeaton: here
is a considerable linen manufacture.
Appletrewick, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Burns all, wapen-
take of Staincliffe, 8 miles N. E. from
Skipton; inhabitants, 312; fair,October
25. In this village was born William
Craven, of obscure parentage, who by
his industry and integrity became a
wealthy citizen and lord mayor of Lon-
don, in 1611 : his son serving in the
armies of Gustavus Adolphus, is sup-
posed to have married, privately, the
widowed Queen of Bohemia, sister to
Charles I.; he was created, first, Ba-
ron, then Earl of Craven : the present
noble family of Craven are descended
from an uncle of the lord mayor.
Arden with Ardenside, N.R. (2)
a township in the parish of Hawnby,
wapentake of Birdforth, 7§ miles N.
E. from Thirsk; inhabitants, 139; a
priory was founded here about the
year 1150, not a vestige of which re-
mains. Arden HaU is thereat of DArey
Ardsley, W.R. (8) a township
in the parish of Darfield, wapentake
of Staincross, 2§ miles E. from Barns-
ley; inhabitants, 992. ArdsleyHall, in
this township, is the seat of J. Mickle-
thwaite, Esq.; and Park House is the
seat of B. Taylor, Esq.
Ardsley, East, W. R. (8) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Morley, 3 miles N.W. from Wake-
field; inhabitants, 832; a perpetual
curacy; patron, the Earl of Cardi-
Arbsley West, or Westerton,
W. R. (8) a parish and township in
the wapentake of Morley, 4$ miles
N. W. from Wakefield ; inhabitants,
1515 ; a perpetual curacy; patron, the
Earl of Cardigan.
Argam, E.R. (6) a township, ex-
tra parochial, in the wapentake of
Dickering, 5 miles N. W. from Brid-
lington ; inhabitants, 35. It is valued,
in the Kings book, at Al. as a rectory,
but there has been no institution since
the year 1605.