petitioner prevailed, and the lives of the
unarmed inhabitants were accordingly-
saved. Whether^ this ^matter were a
dream, or whether some patriotic fe-
male, by personating the ghost, imposed
upoir the Earl/ must be left to conjec-
ture. Bradford gave birth to Dr. John
Sharp, who died Archbishop of York,
1713; he published seven volumes of
sermons, but perhaps he is better recol-
lected by his insinuation to Queen Anne,
when about to raise Dr. Swift to the
prelacy, that her Majesty ought to be
sure that the man whom she proposed
to make a bishop, was a Christian. This
parish is very extensive, being 15 miles
in length, and, at an average, four in
breadth ; to the west dreary and deso-
late, but about Bradford the country
is extremely pleasant, open, and pic-
turesque, adorned with many elegant
houses, amongst which may be enu-
merated Crow Trees, the seat of Joshua
Pollard, Esq.; Eastbrook House, the
seat of Charles Harris, Esq.; Miry-
shaw, an ancient mansion, long the re-
sidence of the Smyth family, but now
occupied as a farm-house; Scar Hill,
the seat of William Pollard, Esq.; Town
Hill, the seat of F. Duffield, Esq.; and
Undercliff Hall, the seat of J. Hustler,
Esq. The townships in the parish of
Bradford are numerous, Allerton, Bowl-
ing, Clayton, Eccleshill, Haworth, Hea-
ton, Horton,,Manningham, North Bier-
ley, Shipley, Thornton, and Wilsden.
Entire population, 52,949.
Bradford, West, W. R. (4) a
township in the parish of 'Mitton, wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 7 miles W. from
Gisburn ; inhabitants, 564.
Bradgate, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Kimberworth, parish of
Rotherham, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 2 miles W. from Rotherham.
Bradholme, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Thorne,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
If mile S. from Thorne.
Bradley, W.R. (7) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Hudders-
field, wapentake of Agbrigg, 3 miles
N. from Huddersfield.
Bradley, N.R. (1) ahamletinthe
township of Carlton High Dale, parish
of Coverdale, wrapentake of Hang West,
9 miles S. W. from Middleham.
Bradley Hall, W. R. (7) a ham-
let in the township of Stainland, parish
of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 5§
miles S. from Halifax. Here are the
remains of an ancient mansion, once a
seat of the Savile family, but now occu-
pied as a farm-house ; it gave birth to
Sir Henry Savile, in 1549, a man of
great learning himself, and the muni-
ficent patron of it in others; he founded
two professorships in Oxford, one of
astronomy, the other of geometry".
Bradley, Upper and Lower, W.
R. (4) a township in the parish of Kild-
wick, wapentake of Staincliffe, 3§ miles
S. from Skipton ; inhabitants, 506.
Bradley Mills, W.R. (7). See
Bradshaw, W.R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Langs ett, parish of
Penistone, wapentake of Staincross, 3
miles S. W. from Penistone.
Brafferton, N. R. (5) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Bui-
mer, 4 miles N.E. from Boroughbridge;
inhabitants, 178 ; a vicarage, value 9/.
15s. 6d.; patron, the King. The name
appears originally to have been Broad-
ford-town-; it occupies one side of a
street, of which the other forms the vil-
lage of Helperby. The parish contains
the townships of Helperby and Thorn-
ton Bridge. Entire population, 832.
Braffords, E. R. (6) a hamlet in
the township of Swanland, parish of
North Ferriby, wapentake of Hullshire,
7§ miles W. from Hull. This hamlet
is a small portion of Hullshire, insu-
lated in Hunsley Beacon division of
Hart Hill. Braffords Hall is the seat
of Robert Osborne, Esq.
Braham, orBRAiM Hall, W.R.
(5) a hamlet in the township and parish