Broomfield, W. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Romanby, parish of
Northallerton, wapentake of Allerton-
shire, 1 mile S. from Northallerton.
Broom Hall, W. R. (8). See Ec-
Broom head Hall, W. R. (8).
Broom House, W. R, (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Edlington,
wapentake-of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4
miles S. W. from Doncaster.
Broom Riddings, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township and parish
of Whiston, wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, If mile S.E. from Ro-
Brotherton, W. R. (8) a parish
and township, in the wapentake of Bark-
ston Ash, 3 miles N.E. from Ponte-
fract ; inhabitants, 1491 ; a vicarage,
value 5l. 6s. Sd.; patron, the Dean and
Chapter of York. At this village, Mar-
garet, second wife to Edward I. was
obliged to stop when hunting, and was
here delivered of a son, Thomas de
Brotherton, 1300: not far from the
church is a piece of ground, surrounded
by a wall and trench, where, as tradi-
tion relates, stood the house where the
queen took up her ab'ode. This village
is noted-for its production of limestone,
which is much used for agricultural
purposes. Brotherton Hall is the seat
of John Crowder, Esq. The parish
contains the townships of Byram and
Sutton. Entire population, 1626.
Brotton, N.R. (2) a township in
the parish of Skelton, wapentake of
Langbarugh, 6 miles N. E. from Guis-
borough; inhabitants, 332; a chapelry
Brough, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Catterick, wapentake of
Hang East, 5 miles S. E. from Rich-
mond ; inhabitants, 90. Brough Hall
is the elegant and picturesque seat of
Sir H. M. Lawson, Bart.
Brough Ferry, E. R. (9) a town-
ship with Eiloughton, in the parish of
Elloughton, division of Hunsley ^Bea-
con, 3 miles S. E. from South Cave;
inhabitants, 383. At this place is a
ferry across the Humber, to Wintring-
ham in Lincolnshire.
Brough, or Skipsea Brough, E.
R. (6) a township with Dringhoe and
Upton, in the parish of Skipsea, wapen-
take of Holderness, 5 miles N. from
Hornsea; inhabitants, 164.
Broughton, W.R. (4) a parish
and township with Elslack, in the wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 3 miles W. from
Skipton; inhabitants, 427 ; a vicarage,
value hl. 16s. Oft/.; patron, Christ
Church College, Oxford. The church
of this village stands in a retired situa-
tion ; it is adorned with some mural
monuments of the Tempest family.
Broughton Hall is an ancient mansion
of the date of 1597, the seat of Col. P.
Tempest, by whose ancestors it was
Broughton, N. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Appleton le Street, wa-
pentake of Rydale, If mile N. W. from
Mai ton; inhabitants, 94.
. Broughton, Great and Little,
N. R. (2) a township in the parish of
Kirkby, wapentake of Langbarugh, 3
miles S. E. from Stokesley; inhabitants,
517. Here is the seat of Robert Hild-
yard, Esq., and also an ancient monu-
ment consisting of a rude collection of
stones, probably erected in memory of
some Danish chieftain slain in battle.
Brown Hills, W. R. (4) a ham-
let in the township of Newton, parish
of Slaidburn, wapentake of Staincliffe,
If mile S. W. from Slaidburn.
Browsholme Hall, W. R. (4).
See Bowland Forest.
Broxa, N.R. (5) a township in
the parish of Hackness, wapentake of
Whitby Strand, 7 miles N.W. from
Scarborough; inhabitants, 61.
Brumley, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Wortley, parish of
Tankersley, wapentake of Staincross,
5 miles S. from Barnsley.