of Sir Henry Lawson, Bart, of Brough.
A mile south from the village is Oran,
the seat of Jonathan Walker, Esq.;
and a mile north are Catterick Bridge
and Inn, opposite to which is an excel-
lent race-course; on the bridge was for-
merly a chapel, the remains of which
now serve as a coal-hole to the adjacent
inn. The boundaries of the parish are
extensive, and they contain the very
numerous townships of Appleton, Bol-
ton, Brough, Colbourne, Ellerton, Hips-
well,. St. Martins, Hudswell, Killerby,
Kiplin, Scorton, Scotton, Tunstall,
Uckerby, and Whit well. Entire po-
Catterton, (5) a township in the
parish of Tadcaster, in the Ainsty, 7
miles S- W. from York; inhabitants, 63.
Cattle Laithe, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Pon-
tefract, wapentake of Osgoldcross, 2
miles S. from Ferrybridge.
Catto, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township of Landmoth, parish of Leak,
wapentake of Allertonshire, 6 miles N.
Catton, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of
Birdforth, 7 miles N. from Borough-
bridge ; inhabitants, 99 ; a small vil-
lage on the north bank of the Swale.
Catton, High, E. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Low Catton, di-
vision of Wilton Beacon, 7 miles E.
from York; inhabitants, 198. In
this place is a free grammar school
for teaching a limited number of
Catton, Low, E. R. (5) a parish and
township, in the division of Wilton Bea-
con, 7 miles E. from York; inhabitants,
177 ; a rectory, value 21/. 12s. %id.;
patron, the Earl of Egremont. The
parish contains the townships of High
Catton, Kexby, and Stamford Bridge
with Scoresby. Entire population, 973.
Catwick, E.R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Holder-
ness, 8 miles N. E. from Beverley;
inhabitants, 190 ; a rectory, value
10/. 55.; patron, the King. Here is
the seat of Godfrey Park, Esq.
Caud Hill, W.R. (7) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Almond-
bury, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2 miles
S. from Almondbury.
Causeysett, W.R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Quick, parish of
Rochdale, Lancashire, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 2 miles N. from Dobcross.
Cautley, W. R* (1) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Sedbergh,
wapentake of Ewcross, 3 miles N.
Cave, North, E. R. (6) a parish
and township in the division of Huns-
ley Beacon, 7 miles S. from Market
Weighton ; inhabitants, 783 ; a vicar-
age, value 10/. 7s. 6d.; patron, R. C.
Burton, Esq. Here is Hotham House,
the seat of H. B. Peters, Esq. This
parish contains the townships of South
Cliff and Drewton with Everthorpe.
Entire population, 1091,
Cave, South, E. R. (6) a parish,
township, and market town, in the
division of Hunsley Beacon, 8 miles
S. from Market Weighton, 27 S. E.
from York, 192 from London; in-
habitants, 885 ; a vicarage, value 8/.;
patron, H. G. Barnard, Esq.; market,
Monday; fair, Trinity Monday; the
petty sessions for Howdenshire are
held here. South Cave is situated in
a very pleasant tract of country. Cave
Castle, the seat of H. G. Barnard, Esq.,
is a large and noble structure, to which
its numerous turrets and battlements
give an air of great magnificence :
amongst the portraits which it con-
tains, is one of General Washington,
whose great grandfather, John Wash-
ington, lived here, and possessed part
of the estate; he emigrated to America
in 1657. The parish of Cave is exten-
sive, and is bounded on the south, for
three miles, by the Humber ; it con-
tains the townships of Bromfleet and
Faxfleet. Entire population, 1190.