Cononley, W. R. (4) a township
with Farnhill in the parish of Kildwick,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 4 miles S. from
Skipton ; inhabitants, 1550. Cononley
House is the seat of John Swine, Esq.
Cookridge, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Addle, wa-
pentake of Skyrack, 5 miles N.W.
from Leeds; this village was part of
the possessions of the monks of Kirk-
stall. A great number of Roman
reliques have been here ploughed up :
more than a century ago, some walks
in geometrical lines were cut through
the woods by Mr. Kirke, which at that
time were much admired; but these
woods have now, says Dr. Whitaker,
happily reverted almost to a state of
nature. Cookridge Hall is the seat of
R. Wormald, Esq.
Copgrove, W.R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Claro, 4
miles N. from Karesborough; inha-
bitants, 87 ; a rectory, value 5/. 9s.7d.;
patron, Thomas Duncombe, Esq. whose
elegant mansion in this village is de-
Copley, W. R. (7) a small hamlet
in the township of Skircoat, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 2§ miles
S. from Halifax.
Copmanthorpe, (5) a township in
the parish of St. Mary, Bishop Hill,
the Younger, York, in the Ainsty, 4
miles S. W. from York; inhabi-
Cornbrough, N. R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Sheriff Hutton,
wapentake of Bulmer, miles N. from
York; inhabitants, 65.
Corps Landing, E. R. (6) a ham-
let in the township and parish of
Hutton Cranswick, division of Bainton
Beacon, 6 miles S. from Driffield/ Here
is a wharf on the river Hull.
Cortworth, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Brampton Bierlow,
parish of Wath upon Dearn, wapentake
of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4 miles N.
Cotcliffe, N. R. (2) a hamlet, ex-
tra parochial, in the township of Land-
moth, wapentake of Allertonshire, 4
miles S. E. from Northallerton. This
village is the property of the Bishop
Cotham, E. R. (6) a township in
the parish of Langtoft, wapentake of
Dickering, 5 miles N.W. from Driffield,
inhabitants, 16; a chapelry to Langtoft.
Cotherstone, N. R. (1) a town-
ship in the parish of Romaldkirk, wa-
pentake of Gilling West, 4 miles N.W.
from Bernard Castle, Durham ; inha-
bitants, 706; a village pleasantly seated
on the banks of the Tees, near which
are the remains of a castle of uncertaiu
antiquity, but long the residence of the
family of Fitz Hugh.
Cotterdale, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of High Abbotside,
parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang
West, 4 miles N.W. from Hawes. In
this sequestered valley, there is an ad-
Cottingham, E. R. (6) a parish
and township in the division of Huns-
ley Beacon, 5 miles N. W. from Hull;
inhabitants, 2479 ; a vicarage, not in
charge, its certified value 42/.; patron,
the Bishop of Chester. Cottingham
contains many well-built houses and
country villas, inhabited by opulent
merchants of Hull, amongst which re-
sidences may be reckoned those of
J. W. Hentig, Esq., W. Kay, Esq., W.
Mo^on, Esq., and W. W. Wilkinson,
Esq. Hull Bank is the seat of B. B.
Haworth, Esq.; Raywell, of Daniel
Sykes, Esq.; Spring Head, of R. Tottie,
Esq. and Cottingham Castle, a hand-
some modern Gothic structure, of T.
Thompson, Esq.; the whole vicinity of
the place appears like a well-cultivated
garden. The church is spacious and
handsome, with a stately tower rising
from its centre. Here are some ves-
tiges of Baynard Castle, which was
burnt down in 1541, and has not been
rebuilt. A very questionable story,