cross, now covers, it is generally admit-
ted, the remains of this celebrated free-
Hartlington, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Burnsall, wapen-
take of Staincliffe, 9 miles, N. from
Clifton; inhabitants, 141.
Hartoft Dale, N. R. (2) a town-
ship in the parish of Middleton, wapen-
take of Pickering Lythe, 8 miles N. from
Pickering; inhabitants, 134.
Harton, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bul-
mer, 9 miles N. E. from York; inhabi-
Hart with, W. R. (5) a township
with Winsley, in the parish of Kirkby
Malzeard, wapentake of Claro, 4 miles
W. from Ripley; inhabitants, 675 ; a
chapelry to Kirkby Malzeard. In this
township are the celebrated Druidical
remains, called Brimham Crags.
Harwood Dale, N. R. (3) a town-
ship in the parish of Hackness, wapen-
take of Whitby Strand, 7 miles N. W.
from Scarborough ; inhabitants, 235 ;
here is a chapel of ease.
Harwood Well, W. R. (7) a ham-
let in the township of Skircoat, parish
of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 1§
mile W. from Halifax.
Hasholme, E. R. (6) a small ham-
let in the township and parish of Holme
on Spalding Moor, division of Holme
Beacon, 7 miles S. W. from Market
Hasle, or Hessle, W. R. (8) a
township in the parish of Wragby, wa-
pentake of Osgoldcross, 4 miles S. W.
from Pontefract; inhabitants, 159.
Hatfield, W. R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, 7 miles N. E. from Don-
caster; inhabitants, 1948; a perpetual
curacy; patron, Lord Deerhurst. This
is a large and pleasant village, though
situated in a flat country; the church is
spacious, with a lofty tower. In this
place William of Hatfield, second son
of Edward III., was born. The exten-
sive level of Hatfield Chace contains
180,000 acres, half of which were for-
merly covered with water; it was sold
by Charles I. to Cornelius Vermuiden,
a naturalized Dutchman, to drain and
cultivate, which, to the general sur-
prise, he at length effected, at an ex-
pense of 400,0001., but the project in-
volved him in tedious and ruinous law
suits. In the centre of the Chace stands
a farm-house, called Lindhohn, sur-
rounded by an almost impassable mo-
rass ; on the site was anciently a her-
mitage, inhabited by William of Lind-
holme, a personage partaking of the
contradictory natures of a hermit and
a giant, and concerning whom strange
traditionary stories are yet extant in the
neighbourhood; his remains were dis-
covered in 1747. Edwin, the first
Christian king of Northumberland, was
slain here, in a great battle, by Penda,
the turbulent king of Mercia. In this
township is the seat ofWrn. Gossip, Esq.
The parish contains the township of
Stamforth. Entire population, 2642.
Hatfield Woodhouse, W. R. (8)
a hamlet in the preceding township.
Hatfield, Great, E. R. (6) a
township in the parishes of Mappleton
and Sigglesthorne, wapentake of Hol-
derness, 4 miles S. W. from Horn-
sea ; inhabitants, 127. Here is a burial
ground, but the chapel is wholly dila-
pidated. An ancient cross stands in the
centre of the village.
Hatfield, Little, E. R. (6) a
township in the parish of Sigglesthorne,
wapentake of Holderness, 4 miles S.W.
from Hornsea; inhabitants, 25.
Hatfield Hall, W. R. (8). See
Haugh End, W. R. (7). See
Haugh, Nether, W, R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Greasborough,
parish of Rotherham, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 3 miles N. from
Haugh, Upper, W. R. (8) a ham*