ship of Little Langton. Entire popu-
Langton, Little, N. R. (2) a
township in the parish of Great Lang-
ton, wapentake of Gilling East, 6 miles
W. from Northallerton; inhabitants,
86. Langton Lodge is the seat of
Francis Redfearn, Esq.
Langwith, E. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Weldrake, wapentake
of Ouse and Derwent, 7 miles S. E. from
York; inhabitants, 39.
Larpool Hall, N.R. (3). See
Lartington, N. R. (1) a town-
ship in the parish of Romaldkirk, wa-
pentake of Gilling West, 4 miles S.
from Romaldkirk; inhabitants, 243.
In this pdeasant village, is Lartington
Hall, the seat of Henry Witham, Esq.
Lascelles Hall, W. R. (7). See
Laskjll, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Helmsley, wapentake of
Rydale, 6 miles N. W. from Helmsley;
Lastingham, N.R. (2) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Ry-
dale, 4 miles N.E. from Kirkby Moor-
side; inhabitants, 225 ; a vicarage,
value 171.7s. 6(1.*., patron, the King.
Here was formerly a monastery of
Benedictines, founded so early as 648,
and restored in 1078. The church is
spacious and ancient: underneath the
choir, formerly belonging to the mo-
nastery, is a crypt with vast columns,
exhibiting an excellent specimen of
Saxon architecture of the eleventh cen-
tury. The parish contains the town-
ships of Appleton le Moor, Farndale
East, Farndale High Quarter, Hutton
le Hole, Rosedale and Spaunton. En-
tire population, 1834.
Laughton en le Morthen, W.R.
(8) a parish and township in the wapen-
take of Strafforth and Tickhill, 6 miles
S. W. from Tickhill; inhabitants, 652;
a vicarage, value 6l. 13s. 4d.; patron,
the Chancellor of York. In the town-
ship are High Hooton, the seat of
W. Hoyle, Esq. and Thurcroft, the
seat of Capt. Butler. The parish con-
tains the townships of St. Johns, with
Throapham, Let well, and Woodsetts
with Gilding Wells. Entire popula-
Laverick Hall, W. R. (4) a small
hamlet in the township and parish of
Keighley, wapentake of Staincliffe, 3
miles S.W. from Keighley.
Laverton, W. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapen-
take of Claro, 6f miles W. from Ripon;
Lawk land, W. R. (4) a township
in the parish of Clapham, wapentake
of Ewcross, 5 miles N.W. from Settle;
inhabitants, 351; Lawkland Hall is
the seat of John Ingleby, Esq. Lawk-
land Green is an hdjoining hamlet, in
which is the seat of Thomas In-
Laxton, E. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Howden, wapentake of
Howdenshire, 3 miles S. E. from How-
den; inhabitants, 268; a chapelry to
Laycock, W.R. (4) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Keighley,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 2 miles W.
Lays, W. R. (5). See Fryston Monk.
Laytham , E. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Aughton, division of
Holme Beacon, 8 miles S. W. from
Pocklington; inhabitants, 125.
Layton, East, N. R. (1) a town-
ship in the parish of St. John Stanwick,
wapentake of Gilling West, 6 miles
N, from Richmond; inhabitants, 137.
Layton Hall is the seat of Thomas
Layton, West, N. R. (1) a town-
ship in the parish of Hutton Long
Villiers, wapentake of Gilling West, 7
miles N. from Richmond; inhabitants,
69. Here is the seat of Lord Rokeby.
Lazenby, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Wilton, wa-