ral history, of considerable merit, hut
their fashion has passed away. Dr.
James Scott wrote three Seatonian
prize poems, and figured in his day, as
Anti-Sejanus, in the Public Advertiser.
Benjamin Wilson was a respectable ar-
tist, who died in 1788 ; his etchings in
imitation of Rembrandt, are consider-
ed highly meritorious. The parish of
Leeds is nearly co-extensive with the
borough; the soil is a strong coarse
clay mixed with various strata of coal.
Leeds contains the numerous townships
of Armley, Beeston, Bramley, Chapel
Allerton, Farnley, Headingley, Hol-
beck, Hunslet, Potter Newton, and
Wortley. Entire population, 83,746.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal,
W. R. (4, 5) this useful work com-
mences ahout a quarter of a mile above
the bridge at Leeds ; taking a westerly
direction, it passes by Kirkstall Abbey
and Shepley, above which it crosses the
river Aire ; it then proceeds to Bing-
ley, and passing within a short dis-
tance of Keighley, continues its course
to Skipton; near Gargrave it again
crosses the Aire, and running in a
southern direction leaves the county at
Barnoldswick, \yhence it is continued
to Liverpool. The length of the canal
is 109 miles ; it was begun in 1770,
and opened June 4, 1776. This navi-
gation affords to Leeds a communica-
tion with the western, as that of the
Aire does to the eastern ocean.
Lee Fair, or Green, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township of West Ardes-
ley, parish of Woodkirk, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 3 miles N. E. from Dews-
bury ; here is a fair for horses and
horned cattle, August 24, Sept. 17.
Leeming, N. R. (2) a township
with Exelby and Newton, in the parish
of Burneston, wapentake of Haliikeld,
2 miles N. E. from Bedale; inhabi-
tants, 562; a chapelry to Burneston.
Leemmg Lane is the old Roman road ;
the name is probably British, meaning
a stony way, "and is not a corruption,
as Dr. Stukeley absurdly imagines, of
Helena, the mother of Constantine the
Great, which Empress he idly supposes
repaired this work. -
Leeming, Little, N. R. (2) a
hamlet in the township of Aiskew, pa-
rish of Bedale, wapentake of Haliikeld,
2§ miles N. from Bedale.
Lees Hall, W. R.(8) a small ham-
let in the township and parish of Thorn-
hill, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2 miles
S. W. from Dewsbury.
Leighton, N. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of Healey with Sut-
ton, parish of Masham, wapentake
of Hang West, 4 miles S. W. from
Leliey, E. R. (6) a township in
the parish of Preston, wapentake of
Holderness, 8 miles E. from Hull; in-
Lenerton, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Sherburn,
wapentake of Barkston Ash, 7 miles S.
Leppington, E. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Scrayingham, wapen-
take of Buckrose, 8 miles S. from Mal-
ton ; inhabitants, 129 ; a chapelry to
Lepton, Great, W. R. (7) a town-
ship in the parish of Kirkheaton, wa-
pentake of Agbrigg, 4§ miles E. from
Huddersfield; inhabitants, 2729. In
this township is Lascelles Hall, the seat
of Joseph Walker, Esq.
Lepton, Little, W. R. (7) a
hamlet in the preceding township.
Let well, W. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Laughton en le Morthen,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
5§ miles S. W. from Tickhill; inhabi-
tants, 135 ; a chapelry to Laughton en
Levels, High and Low, W. R.
(8) two hamlets in the township and
parish of Hatfield, wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 4 miles S. E. from
Thorne. These hamlets, so called from
their flat situation, contain some hun-