Shire House is the seat of Hugh Mel-
Netherside, W. R. (4). See
Netherthorpe, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Aston,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 6
miles S. E. from Rotherham.
Netherton, W. R. (8). See
Netherton, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of South Crosland, pa-
rish of Almondbury, wapentake of Ag-
brigg, 3 miles S. from Huddersfield.
Netherwood Hall, W. R. (8).
Nettlepot, N. R. (1) a small
hamlet in the township of Lunedale,
parish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of
Gilling West, 5 miles W. from Ro-
Neville Grange, E: R. (6) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Long
Riston, wapentake of Holderness, 5
miles E. from Beverley.
Newbald, North, E. R. (6) a pa-
rish and township in the division of
Hunsley Beacon, 3§ miles N. from
South Cave; inhabitants, 543; a vicar-
age, value 4l.; patron, thePrebendary of
Newbald in York Cathedral. The church
presents some excellent specimens of
Saxon, or of the early style of Norman
architecture; over the door-way is a
mutilated statue, supposed to represent
St. Nicholas, to whom the structure is
dedicated. The parish contains the
township of South Newbald. Entire
Newbald, South, E. R. (6) a
township in the preceding parish; in-
Newbiggin, W. R. (1) a township
in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake
of Hang West, 2 miles S. from Ays-
garth; inhabitants, 128.
Newbiggin, N. R. (1) a hamlet in
the township of Askrigg, parish of Ays-
garth, wapentake of Hang West, 1 mile
N. E. from Askrigg.
Newbiggin, N. R. (3) a hamlet in
the township of Gristhorpe, parish of
Filey, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, 5
miles S. E. from Scarborough.
Newbiggin Hall, N. R. (2). See
Newbridge, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Fountains Earth, pa-
rish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake
of Claro, 2 miles N. from Pateley
Newbridge, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Cowick, parish of
Snaith, wapentake of Osgoldcross, 3
miles S. E. from Snaith.
New Buildings, N, R. (2). See
Newburgh, N. R. (5) a township
with Morton, in the parish of Coxwold,
wapentake of Birdforth, 5 miles N.
from Easingwold; inhabitants, 162.
Newburgh Park is the seat of T. E.
Wynne Belasyse, Esq., but now occu-
pied by Sir Geo. W. Wombwell, Bart.:
it was the site'of a monastery for Aus-
tin Friars, founded by Roger de Mow-
bray, in 1145. William Little, or Gu-
lielmus Neubrigensis, the candid and
diligent English historian, was a monk
in this priory, about the year 1200.
Newby, N. R. (3) a township in
the parish of Scalby, wapentake of Pick-
ering Lythe, 3 miles N. W. from Scar-
borough; inhabitants, 40.
Newby, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Stokesley, wapentake of
Langbarugh, 3 miles N. from Stokesley;
inhabitants, 152. In this township is a
remarkable tumulus, called Howe Hill,
which has never been opened; on the
side of a hill, to the south, are works
of an entrenchment, probably Saxon;
in the adjacent valley, it is said, re-
liques of armour and human bones
have been occasionally ploughed up.
Newby, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township of Rimington, parish of Gis-
burn, wapentake of Staincliffe, 2 miles
S. from Gisburn.
Newby, W. R. (5) a hamlet in the