saurus, and his Grammatica Anglo
Saxonica, both eminently useful to the
student of the ancient tongues of the
north of Europe; he died abroad, in
Newsham, W. R, (4) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Keighley,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 3 miles W.
Newsiiolme, E. R. (5) a township
with Brind, parish of Wressle, division
of Holme Beacon, 7 miles E. from Sel-
by ; inhabitants, 177.
Newsholme, W. R. (4) a township
in the parish of Gisburn, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 2 miles N. from Gisburn;
Newsome, W. R. (7) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Almond-
bury, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2 miles
S. from Huddersfield.
Newstead, N. R. (1) a hamlet in
the township and parish of East Wit-
ton, wapentake of Hang West, 5 miles
S. E. from Middleham.
Newstead Grange, W. R. (6) a
small hamlet in the township and parish
of Thornton, wapentake of Pickering
Lythe, 5 miles N. E. from Malton.
Newstead Hall, W, R. (8). See
Newthorpe, W.R. (5) a township
in the parish of Sherburn, wapentake
of Barkston Ash, 3^ miles S. W. from
Abberford; inhabitants, 83.
Newton, W. R. (4) a township in
the parish of Slaidburn, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 2 miles S. from Slaidburn;
inhabitants, 581 ; fairs, March 14,
April 14, and September 16. Newton
Hall is the seat of Thos. Parker, Esq.
Here is a school, founded by John
Brabbin, in 1768, for the purpose of
instructing the children of Quakers,
with six other poor children of the
Newton, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Sprothorough,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
2§ miles N.W. from Doncaster.
Newton, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Alverthorpe, parish of
Wakefield, wapentake of Agbrigg, 1
mile N. from Wakefield.
Newton, N. R. (2) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Langba-
rugh, 4 miles N. E. from Stokesley;
inhabitants, 119 ; a perpetual curacy ;
patron, T. K. Stavely, Esq. In this
township is the remarkable pyramidal
mountain, called Roseberry Topping,
of the altitude of 1488 feet above the
level of the sea; its base is composed
of an immense stratum of alum rock;
half way up are found a vast number of
petrified shells and marine productions;
near the top is a spring of excellent
water. The prospect from Roseberry
Topping is extensive and beautiful,
particularly towards the north, com-
manding the mouth of the Tees, and a
large part of the county of Durham.
Newton, N. R. (3) a township in
the parish of Piekering, wapentake of
Pickering Lythe, 4 miles N. from Pick-
ering ; inhabitants, 212.
Newton, E. R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Winteringham,
wapentake of Buckrose, 8 miles N.W.
from Malton. Newton Hall is the seat
of George Strickland, Esq.
Newton Abberth, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township of Ledston, pa-
rish of Ledsham, wapentake of Bark-
ston Ash, 4 miles N. from Pontefract.
Newton Rank, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Gargrave, wapen-
take of Staincliffe, 5 miles W. from
Skipton; inhabitants, 139.
Newton Dale, N. R. (3) a hamlet,
partly iu the township of Newton, pa-
rish of Pickering, and partly in the
township and parish of Leavisham,
wapentake of Pickering Lythe, 7 miles
N. from Pickering.
Newton, East, E. R. (6) a town-
ship in the parish of Aldborough, wa-
pentake of Holderness, 8 miles S. E.
from Hornsea; inhabitants, 38,
Newton, East, N. R. (5) a town-