pentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 3
miles S. W. from Sheffield.
Rash, N. R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Muker, parish of Grinton,
wapentake of Gilling West, 6 miles
N. W. from Askrigg.
Raskelf, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Easingwold, wapentake of
Bulmer, 2§ miles W. from Easingwold;
inhabitants, 440. Here is a chapel of
ease, somewhat in a dilapidated state;
but the windows contain some armo-
rial bearings of the families of Dacre,
Scrope, and Nevile, in painted glass.
Willow House, in this township, is the
new built handsome residence of Mr.
Rastrick, W. R. (7) a township
in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of
Morley, 4 miles S. E. from Halifax;
inhabitants, 2796; a chapelry to Hali-
fax; this ancient chapel having fallen
to decay, was handsomely rebuilt about
forty years ago. In this township is
Wood House, the seat of John Ar-
Rathmell, W. R. (4) a township
in the parish of Giggleswick, wapentake
of Staincliffe, 3§ miles S. from Settle;
inhabitants, 328. Here is Capple Side,
the seat of John Geldart, Esq.
Rathinstall, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Hepstonstall, parish
of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 9
miles W. from Halifax.
Ravenfield, W. R. (8) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 4 miles N. E. from
Rotherham ; inhabitants, 187 ; a per-
petual curacy; patron, the Archdeacon
of York; it was formerly a chapel to
Mexborough. Ravenfield Hall is the
seat of the Rev. Wm. Hedges.
Raven Hill, N. R. (3). See Fy-
Raven Knowles, W. R. (7) a
hamlet in the township of Thurston-
land and parish of Kirk Burton, wa-
pentake of Agbrigg, 5 miles S. E.
Raven Ree, W. R. (4). See Thorn-
ton in Lonsdale.
Ravens Seat, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Muker, parish of
Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, 6
miles N. W. from Muker.
Ravenspur, E. R. (6). See Kilnsea.
Ravensworth, N. R. (1) a town-
ship in the parish of Kirkby, wapen-
take of Gilling West, 5 miles N. from
Richmond; inhabitants, 313. Here
are the remains of a castle, so ancient,
that its date of erection is unknown;
in Lelands time it belonged to Lord
Parr. Cuthbert Shaw, an unfortunate
poet, was a native of this place—let his
frailties and errors be forgotten; his
Evening Address to the Nightingale,
and the Monody on the Death of his
Wife, are not surpassed, in pathetic
power, by any production in the Eng-
Raventhorpe, N.R. (2) a hamlet
in the township of Boltby, parish of
Feliskirk, wapentake of Birdforth, 6
miles N. E. from Thirsk.
Raventofts, W. R; (5) a hamlet
in the township of Bishop Thornton,
parish of Ripon, wapentake of Claro, 4
miles N. W. from Ripley.
Rawcliffe, W. R. (8) a township
in the parish of Snaith, wapentake of
Osgoldcross, 3 miles E. from Snaith;
inhabitants, 1496; a chapelry to Snaith.
Rawcliffe Hall is the seat of Ralph
Creyke, Esq. This flourishing village
is seated on the south bank of the river
Aire; 1§ mile to the south is Rawcliffe
Bridge, over Vermuidens, or the Dutch
Rawcliffe, N. R. (5) a township
in the parish of St. Olave and St. Mi-
chael le Belfry, York, wapentake of
Bulmer, 2§ miles N.W. from York;
Rawdqm, W. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Guiseley, wapentake of
Skyrack, 7 miles N. W. from Leeds ;
inhabitants, 1759; a chapelry to Guise-
ley. Rawdon Hall, now dilapidated,