by him as butts, to improve his men in
the use of the bow; but in the year 1771,
one of them being opened, was found
to contain a quantity of human bones,
and consequently it was probably of
Danish erection; similar mounts, un-
der the name of Robin Hoods Butts,
are to be found in Romaldkirk parish,
in the North Riding, and at Low Ben-
tham, in the West Riding; many of
the country people attributing every
thing marvellous to Robin Hood, as
the Welsh do to King Arthur.
Robin Hoods Well, W. R. (8) a
hamlet, partly in the township of Burgh
Wallis, parish of Owton, and partly in
the township of Skelbrook, parish of
Kirkby South, wapentake of Osgold-
cross, 7 miles N. W. from Doncaster.
This village is situated in what was once
Barnsdale Forest, now enclosed, and
one of the haunts of the renowned free-
booter. The well is a square building,
nine feet high, which adjoins the high
road; near this place Robin Hood is
said to have robbed the Bishop of Here-
ford, and afterwards compelled him to
dance round a tree in his boots.
Roche Abbey, W. R. (8). See
Rocking Stone Hall, W. R. (4).
Rockley, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township ofWorsborough, parish of Dar-
field, wapentake of Staincross, 3 miles
S. from Barnsley. Here was formerly
Rockley Abbey, a mansion belonging to
a family of the same name.
Rodley, W. R. (5) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Calverley, wa-
pentake of Morley, 6 miles N. W. from
Roe Cliff, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Aldborough, wapentake
of Claro, 1§ mile S. W, from Borough-
bridge ; inhabitants, 248.
Rogerthorpe, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Thorpe Audlin, pa-
rish of Badsworth, wapentake of Os-
goldcross, 4 miles S. from Pontefract.
Rokeby, N. R. (1) a parish and
township with Eggleston, in the wa-
pentake of Gilling West, 1 mile N.
from Greta Bridge; inhabitants, 222 ;
a rectory, value 4/. 5s. 9d.; patron, the
King. Rokeby Park, the seat of J.B. S.
Morritt, Esq., is situated to the west of
the angle formed by the picturesque
junction of the Greta with the Tees.
In the park are the remains of a Ro-
man station, and amidst luxuriant
foliage, appear at the distance of a
mile the venerable remains of Eggles-
tone Abbey; the muse of Sir Walter
Scott has given additional celebrity to
the attraction of the scene ; the man-
sion was built by Sir Thomas Robin-
son in 1724, and is both elegant and
commodious, and contains a gallery
filled with a profusion of ancient sta-
tues and other objects of vertu : across
the river Greta is Mortham tower, an
embattled house, built probably about
the age of Henry VII., a true border
mansion, with all the peculiar features
of that era, a thorough lobby, kitchens,
and butteries ; a hall up to the roof,
and a handsome tower ; at one end is a
barnekyn enclosure, strongly walled
about, for the nightly protection of the
cattle from depredators : this place
with Rokeby was long in the possession
of the family of Rokeby.
Romaldkirk, N. R. (1) a parish
and township, in the wapentake of
Gilling West, 9 miles N. W. from
Greta Bridge; inhabitants, 377; a
rectory, value 58/. 14s. 2d.; patron,
John Hodgson, Esq. This parish,which
forms the north-west angle of the
county, extends in one direction at
least thirty miles ; it is a cold, bleak,
and unfertile district. The Saxon saint
to whom the church is dedicated, ap-
pears to stand alone in this country,
nor is it known precisely who he was.
The structure is of considerable anti-
quity, erected at various periods. In
the chancel, is a monument with a full-
length figure of its founder, a knight