of the family of Fitz Hugh. The parish
contains the townships of Cotherston,
Holwick, Hunderthwaite, Lartington,
Lunedale, and Mickleton. Entire po-
Romanby, N. R. (2) a township
in the parish of Northallerton, wapen-
take of Allertonshire, § mile S. from
Northallerton; inhabitants, 294.
Rookbarugh, N. R. (5) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Norman-
by, wapentake of Rydale, 5 miles N.W.
Rookwith, N. R. (2) a township
in the parish of Thornton Watlass,
wapentake of Hang East, 4 miles E.
from Bedale; inhabitants, 76.
Rookes, W. R. (7) a hamlet in the
township of Hipperholme, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 4 miles
E. from Halifax.
Roos, E. R. (6) a parish and town-
ship in the wapentake of Holderness,
14 miles E. from Hull; inhabitants,
442; a rectory, value 19/.; patron,
the Rev. Christopher Sykes. A family
vault of the Sykess, of Sledmere, is in
Roseberry Topping, N. R. (2)
Rosedale, East Side, N. R. (2)
a township in the parish of Middleton,
wapentake of Pickering Lythe, 8 miles
N. from Kirkby Moorside; inhabi-
Rosedale, West Side, N. R. (2)
a township in the parish of Lasting-
ham, wapentake of Rydale, 6 miles N.
from Kirkby Moorside; inhabitants,
179 ; a perpetual curacy ; patrons, the
inhabitants. The church is part of the
ruins of a convent for nuns of the
Benedictine order, founded in the reign
of Richard I. by Robert de Stuteville ;
the remains of the cloisters are con-
verted into dwelling houses ; on the
Moors in this township is Sledshow, a
noted public house.
Roskeld House, N. R. (2) a ham-
let in the township of Snaith, parish
of Wells, wapentake of Hang East, 2§
miles N.E. from Masham.
Rossington, W. R. (8) a parish
and township in the wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 5 miles S. E.
from Doncaster; inhabitants, 383 ; a
rectory, value 11/. Is. h^d.; patron,
the corporation of Doncaster. This
village is remarkable for the excellence
of the parsonage house, erected a few
years since by the corporation of Don-
caster, who are lords of the manor
and owners of the estate, which con-
tains upwards of 2000 acres. In the
church-yard was interred, in 1708,
James Boswell, King of the Gipsies;
for a number of years it was a custom
for the gipsies of the south to pay an-
nual visits to his tomb, where they
performed various ceremonies, one of
which was to pour a flagon of ale upon
his grave; and it is to be presumed,
that they did not neglect to pour other
gallons down their own throats. Shoot-
ers Hill, in this parish, is the seat of J.
C. Hilton, Esq.
Rossington Bridge, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the preceding township and
Rotherford Bridge, N. R. (1) a
hamlet in the township of Scargill,
parish of Barningham, wapentake of
Gilling West, 5 miles E. from Bowes.
Here is a bridge over the river Greta.
Rotherham, W. R. (8) a parish,
township, and market town, in the wa-
pentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 6
miles N. E. from Sheffield, 49 S. S. W.
from York, 160 from London ; inhabi-
tants, 3548; a vicarage, value 16/.
8s. 6d.; patron, Lord Howard of
Effingham; market, Monday; fairs,
Whit Monday, and Dec. 1. Here is
a free grammar school for teaching the
classics only, founded in 1584. This
place is pleasantly situated on the banks
of the river Rother, near its confluence
with the Den, over which there is a
handsome stone bridge. The church,
a spacious edifice, was built in the reign