New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 217
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

wapentake of Claro, 10 miles N. from

Scales, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township of West Halton, parish of
Long Preston, wapentake of Stain-
6§ miles S. from Settle.

Scaling, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township of Easington, parish of Hin-
der well, wapentake of Langbarugh, 10
miles E. from Guisborough. In this
place is an inn called Scalingdam.

Scammonden, W.R. (7) atown-
ship with Deanhead, in the parish of
Huddersfield, wapentake of Agbrigg,
miles W. from Huddersfield; inhabi-
tants, 855 ; a ehapelry to Huddersfield.

Scampston, E. R. (6) a township
in the parish of Rillington, wapentake
of Buckrose,
8 miles N.W. from Sled-
mere ; inhabitants,
200 ; a ehapelry to
Rillington. Scampston House is the
residence of C. T. Wood, Esq.; this seat
of the ancient family of St. Quintin has
a fine park, abounding in numerous
herds of deer.

Scarborough, N.R. (3) a bo-
rough, market town, parish and town-
ship, in the wapentake of Pickering
Lythe, 20 miles S. E. from Whitby,
40 N.E. from York, 217 from Lon-
don ; inhabitants, 8188; a vicarage,
value 13/.
6s. Sd.; patron, Lord Ho-
tham : markets, Thursday and Satur-
day ; fairs, Holy Thursday, and No-
vember 23. Scarborough is a borough
governed by two bailiffs, two coroners,
four chamberlains, and a common
council of 36 members. It returns two
members, a privilege granted as early
as the 23d Edward I., and is the only
place in the county, except York, which
has constantly sent representatives from
that period to the present time; the
right of election is in the corporation
alone : here is an hospital for worn-out
and disabled seamen, under the go-
vernment of the Trinity House. Scar-
borough is situated on the north of
a beautiful and extensive bay, from
which it rise* in the form of a cres-

cent, on the slope of a bold and rocky
shore; on its eastern point stand the re-
mains of the ancient castle, whose shat-
tered walls adorn the summit of a lofty
promontory; the view commands a
vast expanse of ocean, where fleets
of ships • are frequently passing: the
castle was built in the reign of King
Stephen, by William le Gros, Earl of
Albemarle. Here Piers de Gaveston
sought refuge against the exasperated
barons in the reign of Edward II. In
the time of Wyatt’s rebellion, in 1553,
it was surprised and taken by a stra-
tagem of the son of Lord Stafford,
who introduced a number of soldiers
disguised as peasants ; but this success
was only of three days’ duration; it
gave rise, however, to the proverb of
* a Scarborough warning, or a word
and a blow, but the blow firstduring
the civil wars it was twice besieged by
the parliamentary forces, and was com-
pelled to surrender; the castle was
soon after dismantled by order of par-
liament, but it underwent a temporary
repair during the rebellion in 1745,
and barracks having been subsequently
erected, it will accommodate
120 sol-
diers : the ruined walls of the keep,
twelve feet in thickness, are still nearly
100 feet in height; the promontory on
which they stand, is of an elevation
above 300 feet, presenting a surface of
19 acres; it is in three parts sur-
rounded by the sea; on the landside,
rising by a steep and rocky slope, it com-
mands the town; the approach was by
a gateway, still remaining, of uncom-
mon strength, placed on the summit of
a narrow isthmus ; the keep was en-
closed by embattled walls, strength-
ened by semicircular towers, and con-
sequently before the invention of ar-
tillery, this fortress must have been
absolutely impregnable. The parish
church originally belonged to a con-
vent of Cistercian monks; the pre-
sent building is merely a fragment of
the ancient spacious edifice; an addi-
2 F


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.