New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 218
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

tional church, in the Gothic style, is
now erecting, under the sanction of the
late acts of parliament. Scarborough
is not mentioned in Domesday Book,
and the first authentic notice concern-
ing it, is a charter from Henry II.,
1252, enabling the bailiffs to establish
a port duty for the security of their
harbour; this seems to have given
origin to the erection of a pier, which
after successive repairs and additions,
was superseded by the present struc-
ture, sweeping with its circular arms
into the sea, and composed of enor-
mous blocks of stone from the neigh-
bouring quarry of White Nab; the
harbour is liable to be warped with
sand, but is the only port between the
Tyne and the Humber in which ships
of large burden can take shelter : the
commerce of Scarborough is on a con-
tracted scale, it contains, however, a
ship-yard, sail-cloth manufactory, and
rope-walks; but the great support of
the place is from the influx of com-
pany during the summer season, for
the purpose of sea-bathing, and drink-
ing the mineral waters, which consist
of two springs, one of a chalybeate,
the other of a saline quality, rising on
the sea shore, at the foot of the cliff,
a little to the south of the town; their
medicinal properties were first dis-
covered by Mrs. Farrow, an ingenious
lady, in the year 1620. In December,
1737,these springs were nearly lost, by
the sinking of a large mass of the cliff
above them, but by diligent search they
were recovered, and a building or spa
house, for the accommodation of visi-
tors, has been erected near the wells ;
from the saline spring, salts are pre-
pared, which are much esteemed as a
gentle aperient. The town is well built,
and various circumstances concur to ren-
der it a charming summer retreat; beau-
tiful prospects, a fine beach, equally
convenient for exercise or bathing, pure
air, and select company. The public
buildings in Scarborough are, the town
hall, prison, assembly rooms, theatre,
with chapels and meeting-houses for
various classes of the dissenters;
magnificent iron-bridge of four arches,
supported on massive and lofty stone
piers, has lately been erected for the
purpose of affording an easy commu-
nication from the cliff to the spa, which
from the inequality of the ground was
found formerly extremely inconvenient
to invalids; this beautiful structure is
striking embellishment to the town, and
reflects the highest credit on the projec-
tor. Scarborough has given birth to no
person of particular celebrity. The en-
virons of the town are finely diversified
with hill and dale, and exhibit a variety
of romantic scenery. The parish con-
tains the township of Falsgrave. En-
tire population, 8533.

Scarcroft, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Thorner, wapentake of
Skyrack, 7 miles N. E. from Leeds ;

Scargill, N. R. (1) a township
in the parish of Barningliam, wapen-
take of Gilling West, 4 miles S. from
Barnard Castle; inhabitants, 136.

• Scarhill, W.R.(4). See Bradford.

Scar House, N.R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Muker, parish of
Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West,
10 miles W. from Reeth.

Scar House, W.R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of Starbotton, parish
of Arnecliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe,
6 miles N. W. from Kettlewell.

Scaro, W. R. (5) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Ripley, wapen-
take of Claro,
1 mile N. from Ripley.

Scaro House, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township of Moulton, parish of
Middleton Tyas, wapentake of Gilling
East, 4 miles N. from Catterick.

Scarthneck, N. R. (1). See Pres-
ton under Scar.

Scarthnick, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Whorl-
ton, wapentake of Langbarugh, 7 miles
S. W, from Stokesley. Here was once


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.