a religious house of Austin friars, a
cell to Guisborough, not a vestige of
Scarthingwell, W. R. (8) a
township with Saxton, in the parish of
Saxton, wapentake of Barkston Ash,
5 miles S. from Tadcaster; inhabi-
tants, 378. Scarthingwell Hall is the
seat of W. Prest, Esq.
Scawsby, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Sprot-
borough, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 1§ mile W. from Doncaster.
On Scawsby Lees, Robert Aske was
encamped with 40,000 men during his
rebellion, called the Pilgrimage of
Grace, in the reign of Henry YIII.
Scawton, N. R. (2) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Rydale,
4 miles W. from Helmsley; inhabi-
tants, 154; a rectory, value 2l. l$s.2d.;
patron, Edward Worsley, Esq.
Sceaf, E.R. (6) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Holme on Spald-
ing Moor, division of Holme Beacon, 5
miles S.W. from Market Weighton.
Scholes, W.R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Barwick in
Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, 6 miles
N.E. from Leeds. Here is a farm
house called Scholes Grange.
Scholes, W.R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Cleckheaton, parish of
Birstall, wapentake of Morley, 5 miles
E. from Halifax.
Scholes, W. R. (7) a hamlet in the
township of Stainland, parish of Hali-
fax, wapentake of Morley, 2§ miles S.
Scholes, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township of Kimberworth, parish of Ro-
therham, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 4 miles N.W. from Rotherham.
Scholes, W.R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Wooldale, parish of
Kirkburton, wapentake of Agbrigg, 6
miles S. from Huddersfield.
Scholesmoor, W. R. (4) a ham-
let in the township of Horton, parish
of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, 3f
miles W. from Bradford.
Scholes, West, W. R. (4). See
Scolehill, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Penistone,
wapentake of Staincross, 1 mile S. W.
Scorborough, E. R. (6) a parish
and township in the divison of Bainton
Beacon, 5 miles N. from Beverley 5
inhabitants, 88; a rectory, value 7/.;
patron, the Earl of Egremont. On the
site where stood the ancient mansion
of the Hotham family, thrice destroyed
by fire, is the seat of John Hall, Esq.;
Sir John Hotham who was beheaded
by order of the parliament in the civil
wars, was born in this place. Here is
still an extensive moat, and what is un-
common in this, or indeed in any part
of the kingdom, a heronry; the birds
building their nests on the branches of
some lofty trees, some of which are
much decayed with age.
Scoreby, E. R. (5) a township
with part of Stamford Bridge, in the
parish of Low Catton, wapentake of
Ouse and Derwent, 6 miles E. from
York; inhabitants, 151.
Scorton, N.R. (2) a township in
the parish of Catterick, wapentake of
Gilling East, 2 miles N. E. from Cat-
terick ; inhabitants, 496. Here is
a free grammar school, founded by
Mr. Leonard Robinson, in 1720. In
this village also is a catholic commu-
nity of the order of St. Clair, consist-
ing of nuns and boarders, originally
formed by. some French emigrants who
first settled atHaggerston,in Northum -
berland, in 1795, but who removed to
Scorton, in 1807.
Scosthorpe, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Kirkby Malham
Dale, wapentake of Staincliffe, 6 miles
N. E. from Settle; inhabitants, 102.
Scotchcorner, N.R. (2). See
Scotland, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Horsforth, parish of
Guiseley, wapentake of Skyrack, 6
miles N.W. from Leeds.